05/31/09: House of Blues: Cleveland, OH

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Re: 05/31/09: House of Blues: Cleveland, OH

Post by dreyfuss »

mintgreenbird wrote:ok show... sound was a little off and the guys looked tired... gord announced a few songs then dident play them :roll: he announced emperor penguin and then played pigeon camera i know he announced fully completely then played gift shop as well.... was surprised we dident get chagrin falls as well... all and all a good show.

I can assure you (and whenever one of the recordings makes it to the tracker you can confirm) that he did not introduce Emperor Penguin at any point in the show, also the Fully Completely comment you heard was as he was introducing Pigeon Camera, as soon as he mentioned the album Fully Completely the crowd started cheering before he could say "Pigeon Camera", after the crowd died down a bit he also made a comment about how he did not endorse that cheer as it was not a cheer for the intended song. That isn't verbatim to what he said but it was something along those lines.

The HOB show was good, a little too crowded for my liking and the sound wasn't nearly as nice as our spots for both Detroit shows. 2nd night Detroit was definitely the highlight of the weekend if not the tour so far.
mintgreenbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mintgreenbird »

i may stand corrected on the fully completely remark as that makes sense... :wink: i am pretty sure i thought he said emperor penguin right before pigeon camera though... i was to the left right up front as one of the previous posters was and the bass was very loud there so i did miss alot of the local rants and dialogue so i very well could be wrong. glad to hear the sound on the balcony was great... heres hoping for a good recording!
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

After the Cleveland show I was fortunate to meet my friends Markslog (Mark), Mr. Dave (Dave) and Dreyfuss (Steve) as they were putting away their taping gear after The Hip show. All three of them had nice sunburns after attending a Cleveland Indians baseball game earlier. We spoke about the shows we attended in Detroit and Cleveland and how the three of them were just about to hit the road to travel back to Canada. Of course I was distressed to hear that they were involved in a car accident and Mark's car was totaled. I'm relieved to hear that everyone is alive and uninjured. I'm glad I was able to thank all three of them for their generous contributions to the Hip community.

As for the Cleveland show, I thought it was very good. I especially liked hearing Boots & Hearts, Save the Planet and Pigeon Camera. The Cleveland HOB is smaller than the Fillmore in Detroit. The show was sold out and the venue was tightly packed with fans from Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Canada. The Detroit fans were there, but we were a minority. A sign posted on the front door of the HOB stated that the featured artist for the night has requested no use of the A/C. Please don't ask the staff to turn it on. And believe me it was very hot inside, but everyone was into the show cheering for The Hip and giving competing Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Canada chants.

I enjoyed all three shows I saw this weekend and each setlist was special and unique in its own right. If I had to chose the best show of them all, I would have to agree with Dreyfuss and say the 2nd Detroit show and setlist was extra special. Unfortunately, I only have one more Hip show on my itinerary for this tour. I'm hoping that Rock the Park in London, Ontario is as enjoyable and fun as the three shows I saw this weekend.
buffalorob
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by buffalorob »

I thought I heard Fully Completely mentioned because he said the next two songs were from it.
Fully Completely the song NEVER needs an introduction. :D
Also, standing dead center on the floor 7 or 8 rows back, the sound was like wearing headphones, superb.
mintgreenbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mintgreenbird »

:thumb:
rdownen
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by rdownen »

If Im not mistaken Gord says, "we'd like to hit your now, with a Fully Completely...(crowd roar) Double Shot"
Then proceeded to play Pigeon Camera followed by Courage. No mention of Emperor
Seems like the album "double shot" seems to be a pattern, seen again in Artpark with the Yawning/Inevitability...double shot.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

rdownen wrote:If Im not mistaken Gord says, "we'd like to hit your now, with a Fully Completely...(crowd roar) Double Shot"
Then proceeded to play Pigeon Camera followed by Courage. No mention of Emperor
Seems like the album "double shot" seems to be a pattern, seen again in Artpark with the Yawning/Inevitability...double shot.
And at Danforth.
ghettofyrman
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by ghettofyrman »

After seeing this show, and by now the sat. artpark show, it is hard to compare the two. They are so different venues and totally different chemistry. I will say this....it was hot as hell in the HOB, and the crowd seemed sort of out of it. The LOONNGG delay on the encore I believe was a direct result of it. Also, being from Buffalo, I was very very embarassed and ashamed of some other "Buffalo fans" I was on the flor to the slight right of stage, and some of the biggest assh&les I have ever seen at a concert were right next to us. After one of them proceeded to throw an entire beer all over anyone in the vacinity, they started dancing like they were at a Rage Against the Machine mosh pit. Anyone that was near this...I am sorry, that is not how Buffalo rolls. I thought concert was awesome, I love HOB, was there 2 yrs ago, and yes it was much less crowded then.
hip hip hip hip hip hip hip....
VioletlightHeron
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by VioletlightHeron »

ghettofyrman wrote:After seeing this show, and by now the sat. artpark show, it is hard to compare the two. They are so different venues and totally different chemistry. I will say this....it was hot as hell in the HOB, and the crowd seemed sort of out of it. The LOONNGG delay on the encore I believe was a direct result of it. Also, being from Buffalo, I was very very embarassed and ashamed of some other "Buffalo fans" I was on the flor to the slight right of stage, and some of the biggest assh&les I have ever seen at a concert were right next to us. After one of them proceeded to throw an entire beer all over anyone in the vacinity, they started dancing like they were at a Rage Against the Machine mosh pit. Anyone that was near this...I am sorry, that is not how Buffalo rolls. I thought concert was awesome, I love HOB, was there 2 yrs ago, and yes it was much less crowded then.
hip hip hip hip hip hip hip....
Should have been up in the balcony with Jenna, Esthete and myself. We could see perfectly on stage and enjoy the acoustics.
The Horrible Esthete
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by The Horrible Esthete »

ghettofyrman wrote:I will say this....it was hot as hell in the HOB, and the crowd seemed sort of out of it.
Didn't notice if the crowd was 'out of it', but i did notice that it was 'hot as hell'.
ghettofyrman wrote:I was very very embarassed and ashamed of some other "Buffalo fans" I was on the flor to the slight right of stage, and some of the biggest assh&les I have ever seen at a concert were right next to us. After one of them proceeded to throw an entire beer all over anyone in the vacinity, they started dancing like they were at a Rage Against the Machine mosh pit.
Beer showers are certainly not exclusive to Buffalo - the folks on the floor at the righthand edge of the stage in cleveland got a whole beer dumped all over them thanks to some reckless revelers in the right balcony.
ghettofyrman wrote:Anyone that was near this...I am sorry, that is not how Buffalo rolls.
Definitely not how all Buffalonians roll, but in my many Hip show experiences, I've noticed an inordinate number who do seem to roll in such a manner, unfortunately.
bake364
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by bake364 »

This was my favorite Hip show that I've seen. That anticipation of not knowing what song will come next was awesome. I really liked the 2 set format they did for this tour. I might be partial to this tour, because I actually really enjoyed We Are The Same album.