05/31/09: House of Blues: Cleveland, OH

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
chris
The Last Recluse

Re: 05/31/09: House of Blues: Cleveland, OH

Post by chris »

Mr. Dave wrote:Who wants to drive us home from Fredonia ?

Fucking Racoon Cocksuckers!!
That sucks.

Will you still have the recording up in the morning? :nooooo
mintgreenbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mintgreenbird »

ok show... sound was a little off and the guys looked tired... gord announced a few songs then dident play them :roll: he announced emperor penguin and then played pigeon camera i know he announced fully completely then played gift shop as well.... was surprised we dident get chagrin falls as well... all and all a good show.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

chris wrote:

That sucks.

I should probably expalin that the guys hit a raccoon on I-90 on the drive home to Canada after the show. They spun out and it sounds like they totaled the car. The email I received at 3:45 this morning suggested that they are all OK. (We get a lot of emails "demanding" that recordings of shows get posted immediately, as if tapers have no lives outside of taping...)
HipFan67
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by HipFan67 »

chris wrote:
chris wrote:

That sucks.

I should probably expalin that the guys hit a raccoon on I-90 on the drive home to Canada after the show. They spun out and it sounds like they totaled the car. The email I received at 3:45 this morning suggested that they are all OK. (We get a lot of emails "demanding" that recordings of shows get posted immediately, as if tapers have no lives outside of taping...)
Wow, glad everyone is ok! Maybe some e-mailers need to grab some equipment and "hit the road".
redhill
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by redhill »

glad to hear no one get hurt !!
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Does this mean we have two punk bands formed from this leg of the tour?

Jenna and the Horrible Esthete
and
Fucking Racoon Cocksuckers
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
mintgreenbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mintgreenbird »

wow that sucks... hope everyone is ok... must have been behind us i dident see them or we would have stoped
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Tthip wrote:Does this mean we have two punk bands formed from this leg of the tour?

and
Yes.
mintgreenbird wrote:wow that sucks... hope everyone is ok... must have been behind us i dident see them or we would have stoped
They emailed me from Fredonia at 3:42am...
markslog
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by markslog »

My beloved VW Jetta TDi is gone ... 5 years old and 248500 kms of Hip shows. :(

Yep all three of us are fine.

Thanks to Dave's bro (matt) for coming and picking us up in Fredonia.

Seriously the world is a better place having the Holmes Brothers.

chris wrote:
Tthip wrote:Does this mean we have two punk bands formed from this leg of the tour?

and
Yes.
mintgreenbird wrote:wow that sucks... hope everyone is ok... must have been behind us i dident see them or we would have stoped
They emailed me from Fredonia at 3:42am...
Mr. Dave
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Mr. Dave »

Yeah thanks to my little bro. I scared the shit out of him and his wife when I called at 3:30am.

I still can't believe any of us were not injured physically and as for mentally we will never know. Hopefully Mark will get pics from the insurance company and post because it was not pretty. Fortunately the beer and liquor we bought didn't get damaged either.

Maybe we shouldn't have put the peanut butter on the bumper?

P.S: Like Ricky I didn't spill my drink.
briansmccabe
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by briansmccabe »

and
Very glad to hear everyone's ok, but I really didn't know what to make of that post initially and I have to admit, I laughed a good long time at the "Fucking Racoon Cocksuckers!" line. Sounds like something out of a particularly surreal episode of the Sopranos!
markslog
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by markslog »

Actually Fucking Racoon Cocksuckers is related to the show "Deadwood" - a show Dave, Steve and myself
are big fans of.

briansmccabe wrote:

and
Very glad to hear everyone's ok, but I really didn't know what to make of that post initially and I have to admit, I laughed a good long time at the "Fucking Racoon Cocksuckers!" line. Sounds like something out of a particularly surreal episode of the Sopranos!
The Horrible Esthete
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by The Horrible Esthete »

The Jenna and The Horrible Esthete "tour bus" returned to Cincy at approximately 3 a.m. this morning. No coons interconnected with the Ford Focus, thank Gord, but there was a deer carcass or two that made vain attempts to derail us. Glad to hear you fellas all escaped injury in what sounds like a harrowing wreck

Instead of posting detailed reviews of the two Detroit shows and this Cleveland show I'm just going to hit on a couple more general points:

▪ I can certainly appreciate the history / legacy / aesthetics of the old theatres scattered around North America which now play host to our favorite rock bands instead of thespian troupes; they survive as testaments to the continuing tradition of celebrating artistic performance in our culture, and serve to maintain that connection between our cultural past and present. BUT...I must follow by saying that if I had my 'druthers for attending a rock concert, I'd opt for a venue like the Cleveland House of Blues hands down over any other. It's absolutely perfect as far as I'm concerned. It's so cozy, and the design so much better accounts for electrically-amplified musical performace (whereas those beautiful old theatres, of course, were not). And the layout of the bar areas / restrooms are far better too of course.

We sat in the balcony of the Fillmore for the Friday show in DET, and it souded pretty good - better than it sounded sitting in the first row of the mezzanine for the Saturday show, where the sound was muddier/fuzzier (presumably due to being wedged back underneath the overhanging balcony). In contrast, the balcony at the HoB sounded far, FAR superior to both the baclony and the mezzanine the Fillmore -- the guitars were so much clearer and able to be heard individually instead of mashed together at the HoB. In fact, ALL the individual components of the band were more distinct at the HoB. I will concede that there were some times where Johnny's kit seemed a little too dominating and Gord's vocals were too "hissy", but those are typical mixing-board issues that are a challenge to mediate on a song-by-song basis for dynamic rock act. But overall, the sound in the balcony at the HoB was far superior to both the mezz and balcony at the Fillmore to my ears -- a stark contrast.

Furthermore, the third row of the HoB balcony is about four times closer to the stage than the first row of the Fillmore balcony, and about five times closer than the first row of the Fillmore mezzanine. The HoB was simply a far superior concert experience.

▪ Secondly, it was an absolute treat to hear Fiddler's for the first time in approximately 50 Hip shows. I won't get into the old "setlist preferences" rant -- we all have our favorites and not-so-favorites, and those of us who see / have seen lots and lots of shows probably all feel that we'd like to hear more non-singles and 'obscurities'. But in my best attempt to distance myself from my personal biases and preferences, there are some things which I insist to be universal truths regarding this band's performances; one is that Grace, Too is so high up on the scale of rock greatness that it should probably be played every single show. And Gift Shop isn't far behind. Holy F*ck those are sublime live numbers. There aren't too many songs I can hear 20 times live and still have a virtual aural orgasm whenever I hear them, but those are definitely two. Simply astounding.

▪ Lastly (this may seem trivial to many) -- I know that Bobby likes his PRS. I'm sure he has his reasons for implementing it as much as he does -- reasons which take much more into consideration that how it sounds to some amateur hack sitting in the balcony on a Sunday night in Cleveland, Ohio. But this hack now formally suggests that he scrap it altogether in favor of his Strats and Teles. They just sound soooo much better (to me) in every way. All through a fantastic version of Pigeon Camera last night, all I kept thinking was "why play the PRS and not the Strat for this??"

I would veture to say that in general, for his playing style, he sounds the best overall on his Telecasters. Every time he played one this weekend I always noted how f**king awesome it sounded....how awesome HE sounded. Also, I must say that the Gretsch he uses on alot of the WATS material sounds effing sweet too. And as much as I LOVE the sound of Rickenbackers, I always have trouble hearing his when he uses it.
maynardsux
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by maynardsux »

:jump Hey Hipsters....just got back from the Hip show in Cleveland and it was absolutely delicious! Having seen them 2 nights earlier in Detroit, i wasn't sure what to expect, especially after seeing the set list from Saturday's 2nd show in the D. Although the crowd in Cleveland where we were standing (front left by stage) was filled with stiffs and jerks (one guy literally stood there and did not move for the entire show-how do u do that at a Hip show? He did make it a point of making sure that no one got by him though, hey dude it is a GENERAL ADMISSION show!), we did not let this spoil our fun. The second set was probably one of the best Hip live sessions I have ever seen (10th time)...i mean how do u follow up acoustic versions of Boots or Hearts and Scared? Why, just play Pigeon Camera, Courage, and Grace, Too in succession. Good to see the Hip finally getting their dues in Cleveland with a sold-out show. I saw them at the same venue 2 years ago and there was enough room on the floor to have a hockey game. Was kinda hoping for that again this time around but, hey, as Hip fans we must share! Icing on the cake was meeting the band after the show. Refreshing to be in the presence of greatness without all the ego usually found with it, very humble and nice lads....Canada, be proud of our boys!!!!
Ry222
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Ry222 »

As Ricky from TPB would say, "Fuckin Raykins!!"