05/29/09: The Fillmore: Detroit, MI

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

05/29/09: The Fillmore: Detroit, MI

Post by sean.bonner »

Post your review.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Rev. Voodoo
New Maybe
New Maybe

Re: 05/29/09: The Fillmore: Detroit, MI

Post by Rev. Voodoo »

I am so freakin excited for this show. It'll be my 3rd, and my fiancee's 2nd. She is absolutely obsessed with the hip now. Got prime mezz tickets about 2 minutes after they went on sale. I can't do the floor due to injuries.

I'm hoping I can make it. Long story short, we were in a motorcycle accident in August...Just got out of the hospital/nursing home. The lovely American laws grabbed hold of me next, and since they determined my actions caused my fiancee to get seriously injured I got charged with a felony. My court date is the morning of the show. I'll hopefully avoid prison, although its a serious possibility. But I'll lose my license and job, etc, on top of crushing medical bills (American healthcare!). If i'm still a free man, I'll have to pay a cab or something for the 1hr+ ride to the show. But that's cool man. The lady and I are going to need this show in such a bad way. I'm coming from Ohio, but I was born and raised in Canada (St. Catharines), so I know I'll see some of my countrymen/women at the show!

If I can't make it, I'm sendin my girl with a friend...she can't miss this! Last time we saw them was in Indy in 07.

Hope nobody minds me spillin my guts here... :twisted: , I just wanted to express what this show is going to mean to me and and my very recently betrothed!
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

Rev. Voodoo wrote:I am so freakin excited for this show. It'll be my 3rd, and my fiancee's 2nd. She is absolutely obsessed with the hip now. Got prime mezz tickets about 2 minutes after they went on sale. I can't do the floor due to injuries.

I'm hoping I can make it. Long story short, we were in a motorcycle accident in August...Just got out of the hospital/nursing home. The lovely American laws grabbed hold of me next, and since they determined my actions caused my fiancee to get seriously injured I got charged with a felony. My court date is the morning of the show. I'll hopefully avoid prison, although its a serious possibility. But I'll lose my license and job, etc, on top of crushing medical bills (American healthcare!). If i'm still a free man, I'll have to pay a cab or something for the 1hr+ ride to the show. But that's cool man. The lady and I are going to need this show in such a bad way. I'm coming from Ohio, but I was born and raised in Canada (St. Catharines), so I know I'll see some of my countrymen/women at the show!

If I can't make it, I'm sendin my girl with a friend...she can't miss this! Last time we saw them was in Indy in 07.

Hope nobody minds me spillin my guts here... :twisted: , I just wanted to express what this show is going to mean to me and and my very recently betrothed!
Thats a rough story my friend. Hopefully you can enjoy the show friday... I am with friends on the main floor or I would buy you a beer... good luck and have fun rockin with the Hip. :thumb:
redhill
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by redhill »

Rev. Voodoo wrote:I am so freakin excited for this show. It'll be my 3rd, and my fiancee's 2nd. She is absolutely obsessed with the hip now. Got prime mezz tickets about 2 minutes after they went on sale. I can't do the floor due to injuries.

wow , that sucks

WTF happened... kinda nosy being a rider myself
hipnosis
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by hipnosis »

I really hope you get to go...you need a break! If I could, I would buy you a beer too :thumb:
Jenna_Bird
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Jenna_Bird »

Hi folks! I'll be taking care of the live set list posts for both of the Detroit shows. That being said, to whom should I send my text updates? I *could* add them to the 'base from my BlackBerry, but that seems unnecessarily complicated. Whoever heads up the posting can let me know via PM. One more sleep! :jump

-Jenna
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

Jenna_Bird wrote:Hi folks! I'll be taking care of the live set list posts for both of the Detroit shows. That being said, to whom should I send my text updates? I *could* add them to the 'base from my BlackBerry, but that seems unnecessarily complicated. Whoever heads up the posting can let me know via PM. One more sleep! :jump

-Jenna
sorry i would help out but i will be rockin at the show.. :thumb:
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Tonights setlist will be posted here LIVE starting shortly after 8:00 p.m. Enjoy!

Ladies and gentlemen. The Tragically Hip.

Set 1
1. The Depression Suite
2. Family Band
3. Giftshop
4. Putting Down
5. The Last Recluse
6. New Orleans Is Sinking
7. Throwing Off Glass
8. Bobcaygeon
9. Speed River
10. The Lonely End Of the rink
11. Now The Struggle Has A Name

Intermission

12. Are We Family - A
13. Fiddlers Green - A
14. Ahead By A Century - A
15. Nautical Disaster (Gord bombed Nautical. Missed first verse and froze up. Kicked an amp or two)
16. Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
17. In View
18. The Exact Feeling
19. Springtime In Vienna
20. Morning Moon
21. Grace, Too
22. Frozen In My tracks
23. My Music at Work

Encore

24. The Dark Canuck
25. Little Bones

Music Lovers, good night.
Last edited by Tthip on Fri May 29, 2009 10:50 pm, edited 13 times in total.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Shane Kroeker
Completist
Completist

Post by Shane Kroeker »

Thanks for Texting the updates Jenna, and thanks for posting Dana!

For those of us waiting for the next songs to be revealed, follow the link http://hipbase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14363 to enter your favourite songs into next year's Hip 64 tournament!
daylight
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by daylight »

Tthip wrote:15. Nautical Disaster (Gord bombed Nautical. Missed first verse and froze up. Kicked an amp or two)
Was his mic out for a few verses, too, or was he just not singing? Shame that song was so messed up, as it's a fave.

As for the show, it was okay. Good first set, ho-hum second set, and killer encore. Wouldn't pay $120 again.
Jrock1818
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Jrock1818 »

Hello,

I am from buffalo and going to the detroit show on saturday, its also really cool casue the cup starts for you guys and I really hope you beat the damn pens again, im sick of crosby. anyways i went to the philly show to and the show started at 9, as it said on the tickets, the show started right when it said it would. in detroit it says 8pm, so did they go on right at 8 or if not what time did they go on, can some one please let me know so i know when to get there and early enough to get a really really good spot since i am drivin 6 hhours. also how was the first detroit show, im sure it was awesome and i anticipate another great show saturday night, ok thanks again
daylight
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by daylight »

About 10 after. Pretty close to advertised.
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

this is the quicky review....

* first set was decent, well played but was missing that one or two songs that would've put it over the top. Recluse and Stuggle do NOT ever belong in the same set again...ever.... both are good album songs but in concert come off as bathroom breaks... sorry, calling it as I seen it. Throwing off Glass was nice ( a personal fave)..but again, should've been backed up by something familier to the masses...not new material.

*the acoustic set was simply magnificant. You could not ask for a better three tunes. Nautical was a disaster but these things happen...can't blame the guys..they are playing nearly 80 different songs this tour. In the end I am sure only a few people really noticed the glitch. Most everything was very strong in the second set...springtime, Exact, M Moon and Grace was absolutely epic....maybe one of the best I've seen.... problem was it was followed by Frozen in My tracks...a deep cut from a new album (took the momentum out of the second set)... MAW was a decent closer and the encore was ok... Im not a huge fan of Dark Canuck but it did go over fairly well... a difficult song...well done by the band... Bones rocked as always!

Out of my 15 shows Ive seen I would rank it in the middle of the pack.... Im sure tomorrow will be awesome! :thumb:
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

Jrock1818 wrote:Hello,

I am from buffalo and going to the detroit show on saturday, its also really cool casue the cup starts for you guys and I really hope you beat the damn pens again, im sick of crosby. anyways i went to the philly show to and the show started at 9, as it said on the tickets, the show started right when it said it would. in detroit it says 8pm, so did they go on right at 8 or if not what time did they go on, can some one please let me know so i know when to get there and early enough to get a really really good spot since i am drivin 6 hhours. also how was the first detroit show, im sure it was awesome and i anticipate another great show saturday night, ok thanks again
band came on at 8:08pm
mkendzier
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by mkendzier »

hi! PEOPLE GOING TO BOTH DETROIT SHOWS - I saw the stats on the home page, but can someone tell me how similar (if at all) they think tonight's show will be to last night? can I abandon all hope now of them playing Grace tonight too? be straight with me! I can handle it ;)

cheers,
Margo