05/29/09: The Fillmore: Detroit, MI

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
mkendzier
New Maybe
New Maybe

Re: 05/29/09: The Fillmore: Detroit, MI

Post by mkendzier »

also, any encore guesses?!
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

My guess is it is less than 50% chance of getting Grace again but you never know. Sorry to say that last nights version was absolutely awesome.

It is anybody's guess as to the encore tonight.... I will take a stab at it though and predict: Honey Please and Blow at High Dough....
Jrock1818
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Jrock1818 »

so exactly what time did they go on, so i know what time they will go on tonight, is it the show start time or what?
Jrock1818
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Jrock1818 »

so exactly what time did they go on, so i know what time they will go on tonight, is it the show start time or what?
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Jrock1818 wrote:so exactly what time did they go on, so i know what time they will go on tonight, is it the show start time or what?
From earlier in this exact same thread:
http://hipbase.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 1&start=13
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Jenna_Bird
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Jenna_Bird »

Some thoughts on last night's show:
I really love Depression Suite live. It sounded so rich and full. Gord was in top form, preening and fully emotive. The Exact Feeling sounded great too, and The Last Recluse was beautiful, haunting even. Grace and Giftshop knocked my socks off. The power of those songs, when performed live, never ceases to amaze me. The Dark Canuck was a nice treat. The only rough patch was Nautical. I've seen Gord stumble before, but I have never seen a song fall out from under him like that. He was visibly pissed, taking his aggressions out on his handkerchief. I would have been totally content to have seen simply the aforementioned numbers and called it a night. Yet, somehow, we were lucky enough to see Fiddler's. I am still basking in the after-glow. I thought it sounded great, and most of the audience seemed to know that it was a special moment (though, Gord did mention that they rarely play it as an introduction). Lastly, did anyone else at the show notice the basket of apples at the front of the venue? My alarmist nature told me to steer clear. Can't wait for tonight! :jump

-Jenna
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

After being a Hip fan for about 15 years and seeing over 40 shows in that time, I still throughly enjoy going to Hip concerts. Yes, there were a couple of small mistakes during the show, but it didn't take away from an entertaining night. The Detroit/Windsor audience was definitely into the show. The main floor was full of fans bouncing up and down to the music. I could hear many fans singing along to the new songs as much as they were to the familiar favorites. Gord D. was bantering with the crowd often in between songs. I enjoyed how he coaxed the fans into singing the choir like choruses that are in many of the new songs.

Johnny Fay played his "Flintstones" drum kit for the acoustic set. Robbie and Gord S. were jamming off each other all through the show. I love watching Robbie rip through his different solos. Paul was cool and collected, but still kicked ass as always. Jim Bryson did a fine job on the keyboards and backing vocals.

After the show we hung out at the side stage entrance to meet The Hip before they headed back to their hotel. Robbie and Gord D. hung out with the small group gathered for about 10 or 15 minutes talking with the fans along with taking pictures and signing autographs. Robbie said to expect a very different show/setlist for the second night here. I wouldn't expect anything less.
daylight
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by daylight »

I thought the handkerchief act got pretty old by the end of the night. Maybe Gord has ADHD or something.

Oh, and I forgot to mention my #1 highlight of the show: "SYNTAX, Gordie". What a lovable dork.
Dexter Morgan
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Dexter Morgan »

Great Show last night. But the crowd seemed boring there were some people bouncing but not what I have seen in the past. Cant blame the band for the mic dying during Nautical. Looking forward to tonight's show.
li99sh79
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by li99sh79 »

Jenna_Bird wrote: Lastly, did anyone else at the show notice the basket of apples at the front of the venue? My alarmist nature told me to steer clear. Can't wait for tonight!
The apples are a callback to the hippie days of the original Fillmore in San Francisco. Just another part of Live Nation's "branding" efforts. I think it's kind of dumb, but then again it's not like "State Theatre" was all that distinctive a name to begin with.

Show was hot, recording is hot, torrent should be ready...soonish, just starting on the second set now.
clutchcdn
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by clutchcdn »

highlight of the night.....Kelly Hrudey
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Dexter Morgan
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Dexter Morgan »

Hope this allowed here but here is the link for Fridays show

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525468
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Dexter Morgan wrote:Hope this allowed here but here is the link for Fridays show

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525468
Why wouldn't it be allowed?

In fact, here's a thread about the recording: http://hipbase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14424
li99sh79
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by li99sh79 »

chris wrote:Why wouldn't it be allowed?
Because clearly audience recordings are all piratical bootlegs Image