05/23/09: K-Rock Centre: Kingston, ON

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
chris
The Last Recluse

Re: 05/23/09: K-Rock Centre: Kingston, ON

Post by chris »

Tthip wrote:
chris wrote:I'm having a hard time with the fact that I'm in Kingston, and not at the show!
What happend Chris? Everyone pregamed at your moms house and you partook a little too much and couldn't make it. :wink:
LOL. Something like that...
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Setlist? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

I've got fragments of a setlist.

Openers: "The Depression Suite," "Poets"

First Set Closer: "Love is a First"

Second Set Openers: "Boots or Hearts," "Scared" (acoustic, I'm presuming); these were followed by "Springtime in Vienna"

Second Set Closer: "New Orleans is Sinking"

Encore: "Tiger the Lion," "Blow at High Dough"

Off the top of my head, "Fully Completely," "Nautical Disaster," "Morning Moon," "In View," "Queen of the Furrows," "The Last Recluse," "Courage" and "Gift Shop" were also played (I wasn't at the show, btw--a friend was texting me sporadic updates). Sorry I don't have a more accurate version...but then again it's 1:17am MST, so I doubt anyone's reading. ;)
adam
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by adam »

opened with a video of Lou Gherig
then a pre-recorded message from "G" (for whom the fundraiser is for) was put up...found that pretty emotional

The boys come out and Gordie speaks to the crowd, thanking everyone for coming, saying what a wonderful community Kingston is, etc...they put a light on "G" who is sitting up in a press box

Gordie says, "Are you going through something? Cos I.................am tooo...." and so they begin with that

and here's to the best of my knowledge the songs that were played (in absolutely no order)

The Depression Suite
Boots or Hearts
Twist My Arm
Morning Moon
The Last Recluse
Queen of the Furrows
Frozen in My Tracks
Fully Completely
Ahead by a Century
Love is a first
Scared
Giftshop
In View
Now The Struggle Has a Name (dedicated to G)
Springtime in Vienna
New Orleans is Sinking
Courage
Poets
My Music At Work
Bobcaygeon
Three Pistols
Nautical Disaster

------
Tiger the Lion
Blow at High Dough

that's what I remember...I know there's atleast 1-2 songs I have forgotten, not too familiar with new cd yet

great show
colinjardine
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by colinjardine »

Great show, really great crowd down front. We met a couple of women that had 2 seats beside us in F1 R2 and the husbands were in F2R2 (middle) so they asked if we would take the centre seats so their husbands could sit beside them. Decent trade.

I loved the new songs, thought the band was real tight on them. No complaints on the rest of the show. they threw in a couple rare ones that I hadn't heard before.

Tiger the Lion was great but it seemed like most of the crowd didn't know what do to. Missed microphones, Gord's handkerchiefs, drum sticks by mere feet. Gord also came down to the barrier after dropping his mic and let the whole front row take a turn at singing in the mic.

My only complaint was there were a bunch of "vip's" that had fancy passes on lanyards that had the entire 3rd and 4th rows that either didn't care to be there or were family/friends that have seen them dozens of times. The ones behind me only stood for half of the second set and were more concerned about getting beer to spill on people than listening to the tunes. If any of you were in that group and didn't act like that, sorry for lumping you.

I got some good pics too I think. Even managed to get a pic of myself on the big screen while taking a picture of it.

I didn't get a set list as I thought someone would have it up. KRock played the studio version of the entire show on the air following the show in the right order. Listened all the way home.
Elwood
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Elwood »

My attempt at the set list - I think all songs have been accounted for in prior posts

Opened with

Depression Suite
Poets
Twist my arm
ABAC

other songs in the first set I think in no order

Fully
Courage
Morning Moon
Last Reculse

finished with

Love is a first

2nd Set

Boots or Hearts - A
Scared - A
Music at Work - A

other songs in no order

3 pistols
Bob C
Nautical
Frozen
Queen of the Furrows
Gift Shop
Springtime
In View
The Struggle

finished with

New Orleans

Encore

Tiger The Lion
Blow

Also scored Gord's microphone.
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

Actual setlist as per Kingston Whig review (they must really like this setlist, that's the 4th time they've used a variation of that one this tour):

01 The Depression Suite
02 Poets
03 Twist My Arm
04 Ahead By A Century
05 Morning Moon
06 Puttin' Down
07 Fully Completely
08 Gift Shop
09 The Last Recluse
10 Courage
11 Love Is A First

12 Boots Or Hearts
13 Scared
14 My Music At Work
15 Springtime In Vienna
16 Queen Of The Furrows
17 Three Pistols
18 Now The Struggle Has A Name
19 In View
20 Bobcaygeon
21 Nautical Disaster
22 Frozen In My Tracks
23 New Orleans Is Sinking

24 Tiger The Lion
25 Blow At High Dough
Last edited by nhaste on Mon May 25, 2009 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
colinjardine
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by colinjardine »

carebread
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by carebread »

Here are some of my photos - sorry for the grainyness. Graininess?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stajanitor ... 8749053484
Across The Causeway '04 | Big Music Fest '08 | Kingston '09 | Bobcaygeon '11 | Cobourg '13 | Bluesfest '13 | Danforth Music Hall '15 | Kingston '15 | Bluesfest '15 | Toronto I '16 | Toronto II '16 | Toronto III '16 | Hamilton '16 | Ottawa '16 | Kingston '16
JT_Stone
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by JT_Stone »

I hate to say it, even after traveling from Toronto for the show yet I will. Another typical show musically filled with the two or three F*** Up's that have been common place on this tour. At least the guys know to play another 16 or 32 bars to get Gordie back in rhythm. In Toronto the entire floor stands for the entire show thus I expected the floor crowd in Kingston to be electric. Yet they were more apathetic with half siting down for the entire show. :?
The best parts were the fact that the boys really seemed to love being home, Gord actually went deeper into his story telling than he has since the IE tour (2004) and at the end of the night he jumped off stage and sang from the front 2 rows while shaking hands something I've never seen Gord do in the past.

I am extremely tired after my long day & train ride back from Kingston so I will leave it there for now.

PS
Chris good to meet you & your wife mate, I'm sure well communicate sooner rather than later. Maybe you can do something with the video footage I have as my editing skills are not very good at all!!!
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

JT_Stone wrote:I hate to say it, even after traveling from Toronto for the show yet I will. Another typical show musically filled with the two or three F*** Up's that have been common place on this tour. At least the guys know to play another 16 or 32 bars to get Gordie back in rhythm.
2 or 3 f**k up's out of 25 songs? That's pretty good, actually. Occasional screw-ups are bound to happen when they're rotating 90-some odd songs in and out of the set each night. You'll notice that with just about any band or artist who constantly changes up their setlist. I was listening to Pearl Jam's 2008 Bonaroo show the other day and I definitely heard at least 3 or 4 flubs by Eddie and the boys. Rock n' roll isn't supposed to be perfect. As long as there's energy and passion in the performance, I could care less if the band screws up a couple of times during a show. But hey, maybe that's just me.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

JT_Stone wrote:I hate to say it, even after traveling from Toronto for the show yet I will. Another typical show musically filled with the two or three F*** Up's that have been common place on this tour. At least the guys know to play another 16 or 32 bars to get Gordie back in rhythm. In Toronto the entire floor stands for the entire show thus I expected the floor crowd in Kingston to be electric. Yet they were more apathetic with half siting down for the entire show. :?
The best parts were the fact that the boys really seemed to love being home, Gord actually went deeper into his story telling than he has since the IE tour (2004) and at the end of the night he jumped off stage and sang from the front 2 rows while shaking hands something I've never seen Gord do in the past.

I am extremely tired after my long day & train ride back from Kingston so I will leave it there for now.

PS
Chris good to meet you & your wife mate, I'm sure well communicate sooner rather than later. Maybe you can do something with the video footage I have as my editing skills are not very good at all!!!
Hey JT. Good to meet you as well. Sorry I could take you up on your ticket offer. How did things go down after we left you at the bar?

We'll see what other footage surfaces from this show and I'll see what I can do.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1581805

Tragically Hip shine in hometown show
Posted By GREG BURLIUK

For the Tragically Hip, variety is the spice of their performing life.

Before they played to a sold-out crowd at the K-Rock Centre on Saturday night, Kingston's favourite native sons played a five-night stand at Toronto's venerable Massey Hall. On the last three nights of that stand they played 53 different songs.

By contrast, Leonard Cohen, who preceded the Hip on Friday night, plays virtually the same 20-odd songs every night. Neil Young who likes to mix things up himself, was drawing from a 30- song pool when he played here recently.

Anyone thinking this would be a deja vu concert -- much the same as last year's performance, when the band opened the K-Rock Centre -- were happily mistaken. For starters the Hip have a sparkling new albumWe Are The Samefrom which they have been liberally performing since their tour started a few weeks ago. They even opened the concert with a song from that album, the nine-minute longThe Depression Suite,with its haunting through-line "Are you going through something?"

It was a fitting question to ask, considering the concert was a benefit for local radioman Glenn (G) Williams, who has been afflicted with ALS, and who gave a brief but touching taped statement just before the Hip took the stage. He and his family were in attendance and were thanked by vocalist Gord Downie for throwing a great party.

Downie did more than his share to add to the proceedings. Last year, he seemed somewhat detached but on Saturday he was at his most engaging. When his cordless mike acted up early on, he tossed it to the audience and happily soldiered with a corded one. He was chatty between songs and even introduced most of them, and traded lyrics with the audience onCouragebefore going onto one of his patented rants, this time including his microphone woes as part of it.

Then the show was goosed upwards in other ways. Quieter songs likeFully Completelyand Gift Shophave been given big-time rocker treatments, and in the case of the latter, even a guitar solo by Rob Baker, who seldom has one.

After a 60-minute first set and a short intermission, the band returned for an unplugged sit-down suite of songs, old favourites given an acoustic treatment :Boots or Hearts, Scaredand MyMusic At Work.

Then it was back to rock and roll. There was a big muscular version ofThree Pistols,another favourite that has benefited from an upgrade, and another from the new album, the anthemic Now The Struggle Has A Name, dedicated to G. Then there was In View-- which you should look up on YouTube some time to chuckle at Downie being pursued by a bunch of angry Asians after he pirates one of their cell phones -and the seventh new song of the night,Frozen in My Tracks,which even got the audience yelling along on cue.

The song that brought the six remaining audience members still sitting to their feet was old standbyNew Orleans Is Sinking. Just for a little icing on the cake the Hip came back for a two-song blazing encore: the little-known and slightly weirdTiger the Lion;and maybe their most popular song,Blow at High Dough,with Downie wandering into the audience to let them yell into the mike.

The K-Rock Centre has never rocked harder and the Hip have never shone more brightly in their home town

Oh, yes. If you're keeping score there were two more songs played Saturday that hadn't been played out of the previous 53 in concert.

The Trews, a quintet originally from Antigonish, N. S., opened the concert and dedicated their opening song and biggest hit, Not Ready to Go,to their friend G. At this year's Junos the band was nominated for both album and group of the year and their 30-minute set of high-energy melodic rockers suggests that was no fluke.

I don't know if I've ever seen an audience excited and standing for an opening act, but The Trews accomplished that feat, and set the tone for the night beautifully.

- - -

What The Tragically Hip played

The Depression Suite Poets

Twist My Arm

Ahead By A Century Morning Moon Puttin' Down Fully Completely Gift Shop

The Last Recluse Courage

Love Is A First Boots or Hearts Scared My Music At Work Springtime in Vienna Queen of the Furrows Three Pistols

Now The Struggle Has A Name In View

Bobcaygeon

Nautical Disaster Frozen in My Tracks New Orleans Is Sinking Tiger the Lion

Blow at High Dough
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Is the sky falling? Did the Leafs win the Cup? Greg Burliuk wrote a positive review of The Hip???? WTF????

I never thought I'd see the day. I recall that he was one of the reasons that The Hip stayed away from playing Kingston for so long - all he did was slag them.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Not too shabby - not even 24 hours after the show and 16 out of 25 songs are on youtube.
And if you notice, I am so nice I placed the videos in this thread in the order they were played:

"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana