05/15/09: Massey Hall: Toronto, ON

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
sherpa
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Re: 05/15/09: Massey Hall: Toronto, ON

Post by sherpa »

Tonight I actually saw a security officer make someone put out a joint - OUTSIDE THE VENUE DURING THE INTERMISSION - In the Alley - Never seen that before - Even the 25 cops outside didn't stop anyone
cantoms
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by cantoms »

This was my 13th Hip show and I haven't felt the need to comment on any show yet. This show is memorable in that I felt that Gord D seemed to be "human" for the first time. I've always felt that the band were kind of distant in that the rest of the band did their thing professionally while Gord D had his antics, etc. Seeing him mess up the lyrics to Eldorado and Blow, wipe out during Locked, and laugh during Locked when the handkerchief sailed way over to Robbie's side of the stage made the show seem more intimate and real. Not that I can complain, the last two Massey Hall shows have been stellar.

As for the songs, I can't complain when they hit stuff off of FC and PP like they did tonight. Great to hear these songs, but I'd kill for another set like the Danforth show - still 2 more Massy shows to go!

Once more thing, thanks to the crew member (the one who tosses Gord his handkerchiefs and works Paul's side) for giving me a copy of the setlist since he recongnized me from last night's show.
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

Show was amazing. That is all that needs to be said.
HIPLVR
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by HIPLVR »

I thought the roof was gonna blow off during Springtime, Locked and Fully.
Pistols and Something On were perfect.
Eldorado was certainly a treat - I couldn't believe they were playing it when it started.
When Gord was introducing Flamenco I thought he was talking about Yawning...woops.
Furrows and Depression were everything I thought they'd be.

I've never heard them sound better - much better than CITS and CITS was incredible.

Crowd certainly seemed mixed. I was in LCB (sec 12) and I think my wife and I were the only ones who stood the whole time, although some dudes (3 or 4 of em) to our left stood and rocked out the whole show as well, was kind of nice to see. Nice to see the older couples in our section rocking out as well (mostly to the older tunes).

Highlight was meeting Paul and getting him to sign my jersey before the show. :D

Sweet show for sure. :thumb:
Last edited by HIPLVR on Sat May 16, 2009 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
HIPLVR
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by HIPLVR »

cantoms wrote: Seeing him mess up the lyrics to Eldorado and Blow, wipe out during Locked, and laugh during Locked when the handkerchief sailed way over to Robbie's side of the stage made the show seem more intimate and real.
The teaching of the chords during Bobcaygeon, especially yelling out the A-Minor to the people way up in the top level, in the back, was classic - man we laughed.
:lol:
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

Memorable show! Standouts for me were 3 Pistols, Recluse, Flamenco, Frozen, Locked, Queen and the DS, (I think this makes a great closer). I've seen Gord go down several times in the past 15 years but this one was spectacular - right in the middle of Locked he's jumping from monitor to monitor, slips on the landing and just smacks the stage flat on his back :shock: Surprised he got up as quick as he did. It seemed from the gallery that Paul and Gord S took a couple of steps toward his to see if he was ok and then carried on with the song. Billy Ray threw a hankie immediately after Gord got up as if he wanted to check if he could carry on. That’s the way it seemed from first row centre gallery. It wouldn't have surprised me at all if they would have called it a night at that point, but they did come back, and of course the first thing he does is try the maneuver again, this time successfully landing it - much to the crowd's delight. I have to say Frozen and Locked together were a knockout punch; one the best live performances I have seen them do! The gallery was unbearably hot so it was beautiful to step out to the fresh air at the end of the night. There was police everywhere outside the Hall so if you are going tonight use common sense and be safe. All in all an awesome night.
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
HIPLVR
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by HIPLVR »

Oh ya...went to buy a puck...I guess some knob threw a puck on the stage earlier in the tour (or in the week) and thus they couldn't sell pucks until after the show. I haven't read anything about that this week yet, wasn't sure if it was actually true or if they were simply getting ahead of it by not allowing puck sales pre show at all.

If it's true, thanks knob, cost me a puck. :roll: (I wasn't going back downstairs to get one post show)
sherpa
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sherpa »

Yeah you can buy a puck but you can't have a lid on your water
HIPLVR
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by HIPLVR »

Ya, that was pretty gay.
Almost Hip
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Almost Hip »

Damn it, Queen? guess i won't hear that tonight (sat) maybe by October it'll be time to play it again,

best looking set list so far!!
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

thebends wrote:Memorable show! Standouts for me were 3 Pistols, Recluse, Flamenco, Frozen, Locked, Queen and the DS, (I think this makes a great closer). I've seen Gord go down several times in the past 15 years but this one was spectacular - right in the middle of Locked he's jumping from monitor to monitor, slips on the landing and just smacks the stage flat on his back :shock: Surprised he got up as quick as he did. It seemed from the gallery that Paul and Gord S took a couple of steps toward his to see if he was ok and then carried on with the song. Billy Ray threw a hankie immediately after Gord got up as if he wanted to check if he could carry on. That’s the way it seemed from first row centre gallery. It wouldn't have surprised me at all if they would have called it a night at that point, but they did come back, and of course the first thing he does is try the maneuver again, this time successfully landing it - much to the crowd's delight. I have to say Frozen and Locked together were a knockout punch; one the best live performances I have seen them do! The gallery was unbearably hot so it was beautiful to step out to the fresh air at the end of the night. There was police everywhere outside the Hall so if you are going tonight use common sense and be safe. All in all an awesome night.
The wall of cops that greeted us as we exited the venue was alarming... perhaps the were left over from the Tamil protest...

Were you filming from your seat? I noticed a couple people with video cameras last night - one was front and center of the gallery, the other was front row, side stage of the balcony.

I'd love to get all this footage.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

thecompletist wrote:Gords voice was strong, the sound mix was very good tonight....the crowd better than 1 & 2, eldorado with messy lyrics still just right and then there was 3 Pistols.
I 've seen many a "Verge" or other oldies where they blast thru or Gord changes the Tone....not tonight that 3 Pistols at one point took me back to a younger Rock'in, stripped down Hip.... it was close to the CD with some raw sprinkled in there... it was heavy.

Finally the 1st star goes to Bobby Baker

The Man "owned" the show... he set up a shop in his corner and played guitar like there we're scouts in the house. geeez!

This was a different show for me over 1 & 2 ( I wasn't at 3 so this is all I have to hang on to for now)

See you live on the acoustic set tomorrow!
Downie even fanned Baker and his guitar as if to say it was on fire!
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

The couple taping were directly accross the isle from us and I've got their number. I'll touch base with them to see what we can get.
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

thebends wrote:The couple taping were directly accross the isle from us and I've got their number. I'll touch base with them to see what we can get.
Excellent.

We had a camera in Row 2 on the floor. Two angles will be pretty sweet for a DVD. And I've got the full acoustic set in HD on video.
HIPLVR
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by HIPLVR »

You are the man Chris.

(Go Reds!)