05/14/09: Massey Hall: Toronto, ON

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
Valente
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Re: 05/14/09: Massey Hall: Toronto, ON

Post by Valente »

That's a pretty damn good setlist...
olgawaits
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by olgawaits »

Just got a call from Glen (Gratts99) He's never leaving the house again. This was the show to be at. Even better than 2 game sevens, and Yankees/Jays
tragically.pat
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by tragically.pat »

lol... the boston/carolina game was pretty intense... but that is a great set list

musta been a killer encore
srb
Completist
Completist

Post by srb »

Just getting settled at home from the show. An unexpected pleasant surprise, my wife and I were sitting right beside hipbase's Sir Matticus for tonight's concert. The last time Matt & I met was standing 1st & 2nd outside the Phoenix Concert theatre during the '06 shows, so it was great to see you again!

Unexpected pleasant surprise #2, Dallas Green & srb :thumb: :

Anyway, the show was fantastic! Don't need to cover the setlist as it's already been mentioned, but highlights for me tonight were the acoustic set, Emperor Penguin, Escape, Don't Wake Daddy & 50 Mission Cap.
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

Penguin & 50 mission Cap is a strong closer - I still remember the goosebumps I got back in Syracuse 98 at Landmark Theater when they pumped that Penguin out... dam that was a good tour.

Nice Fireworks got dumped out so I'll likely miss it tomorrow

Daddy is a tough one to have missed.... only hope now is for a Sherpa ... ...I feel they will pull something out over the last 3 nights...that will be new to the setlist.... a wishful thought... :mrgreen:
grimes
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by grimes »

Hell of a show tonight. Easily among the best I've ever attended. The new material sounded great live, Coffee Girl and The Exact Feeling are two songs I've been skipping over lately but I'll have to revisit them after seeing the live. Speed River, Depression Suite, and Now the Struggle has a Name were already my favourite songs on the new album and that was reiterated tonight. Obvious highlights were DWD, the acoustic set, and Escape. And of course the encore. Gord introduced Emperor Penguin as "one we don't play very often, because it's too dangerous." That obviously got my my hopes up, and as soon as the first note was played I went crazy. EP has been the number one song on my need to hear list for a long time. The only other time I caught it was at the ACC in Dec 2000, but that was my first Hip show and I really didn't have a proper appreciation for it back then. That song alone was worth the price of admission for me. 50MC was a perfect closer. Gord must have checked the score in the Bruins game during the encore break because he made reference to the fact that OT was about to start during his intro to the song. My condolences to him on the eventual outcome. Bring on tomorrow!
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

BIGVDOGG wrote:*ENCORE*
Emperor Penguin(for gratts)
50 MC
B E S T S H OW E V E R .

It felt surreal standing there while that was being played. I knew that this set was close to the quebec set as i had glanced over it before i left. So i figured that they had just replaced emperor with daddy which i was ok with becuase DWD is in my top 5, killer tune. So the encore comes and im expecting yawning and 50MC or bones. Gord starts in saying "We'd like to do one we dont play that often, because its too dangerous (pause) its off of phantom power"
I jumped and screamed while people looked at me saying "wtf is he so exictied for" I did hear others yelling behind me very loudly and could only assume that they were hipbasers.
They fucking nailed the song.

Thanks to olgawaits for the prediction of the year! Thanks to BIGVDOGG and Nhaste for the setlist and the dedication. I would say it made my night but alas, the Tragically Hip just rocked my world with Track 12 from Phantom Power.

I Retire.
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

Emperor paid for my admission last night! I had been waiting to hear that one forever, and finally got it. Still smile to think about it.

I don't get Toronto fans these days. They disappoint me. Sitting through all of the songs, and then, when they finalize realize that ABAC, Grace too or BobC are being played, they all of a sudden jump out of their seat and say, "hey, I know this song". I hate being "that person", but people like this drive me nuts. They don't realize the gems they're missing.

Interesting to see how they were letting the people in the front row stand right at the stage last night.

Bring on tonight.....i'm still waiting for Queen of the Furrows.
sherpa
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sherpa »

Here is An Inch An Hour from the 6th row floor
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hMcUY_cD67o&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hMcUY_cD67o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I'll post Courage, Scared, Emperor Penguin and 50MC as well and post links here.
HIPLVR
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by HIPLVR »

thompson girl wrote: Bring on tonight.....i'm still waiting for Queen of the Furrows.
Has to be tonight :D

Thugs too :thumb:
HIPLVR
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by HIPLVR »

sherpa wrote:Here is An Inch An Hour from the 6th row floor
Wow. That sounds incredible. There's one I hate to have missed for sure. Thanks alot for the post.
Bonnie23
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Bonnie23 »

Last night was my 7th show...and definitely top of the list.

My view was incredible. I was on the left side floor, row B and the first 2 seats on the aisle closest to the stage. Security was really good about letting me stand in the aisle so the view was especially good. No one in front of us. There were a few songs that I have seen so many times that I couldn't care if I ever saw them again live.. but I cannot complain, we were definitely spoiled. Don't Wake Daddy, Emperor... AN INCH A FREAKING HOUR...my god.

As for the new songs, I think they went over really well. Depression is my favorite track off the new album and it certainly didn't disappoint live. Easily going to be a classic.

I had a couple of songs on my wish list from In Violet Light and In Between Evolution...would've liked some of that to come true. But...there's always tonight :thumb:

Big wish for tonight's show is Fire in the Hole and A Beautiful thing.

Highlights from the night for me were Gord fighting with his microphone stand (I think I could watch that all day) and the 3 approximately 12 year old boys that came down towards the front for the encore. They were singing Emperor Penguin word for word. Impressive! I was so impressed that I let them come down and stand in front of me so they could watch the last 2 songs from the front.

The only thing I'm slightly bitter about is that security wouldn't let me get a setlist. Billy set them down right on the edge of the stage and the security guy wouldn't let me go and get it. Only the front row people seemed to be allowed.

Anyways, that's my take...

Can't wait for tonight!
rivum
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by rivum »

awesome show! i was with a few friends who didn't know how treated they were with penguin, but so be it...

in addition to dallas green, i also saw dave foley from kids in the hall there too, about 10 rows back on the floor. he was just sitting around in his seat with some lady as everyone filed out, and as i went by i said "hey, dave foley" and he roled his eyes at his friend like "oh, here we go again, another fan i have to deal with" :roll:
he did confirm that they're filming 8 new kids in the hall episodes in august for anyone who cares to have that information...

another funny story, we were in second row and watched as some guy had security help him find his seat - you shoulda seen his eyes bug out of his head when he realised he was going to be in the front row! he had no idea! i asked him how he possibly didn't know that and he said he thought RSF was something to do with being in the rear! lol then his buddy showed up and was equally surprsed. much high-fiving ensued.

does anyone know why they gave the guys in the front row wristbands?
Bonnie23
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Bonnie23 »

thompson girl wrote:
I don't get Toronto fans these days. They disappoint me. Sitting through all of the songs, and then, when they finalize realize that ABAC, Grace too or BobC are being played, they all of a sudden jump out of their seat and say, "hey, I know this song". I hate being "that person", but people like this drive me nuts. They don't realize the gems they're missing.

I hear ya. I understand that not everyone follows bands quite as closely as others...and they are still entitled to see them live...but they're missing out!

During intermission I heard quite a few people talking about hardly knowing any of the songs being played.

I feel bad for them!
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

rivum wrote:does anyone know why they gave the guys in the front row wristbands?
It makes it easy for security to spot the fans who don't belong in the front row.