05/11/09: Massey Hall: Toronto, ON

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
sherpa
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Re: 05/11/09: Massey Hall: Toronto, ON

Post by sherpa »

chris wrote:
Flamenco wrote:
chris wrote: Pay closer attention to the earlier posts in this thread... it's here.
was looking for a summary ...
A summary of the setlist? Please elaborate as you've confused me.

The setlist is here: http://hipbase.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 00#p195800

How do you want me to summarize it?
Begin summary - They played a bunch of songs from a bunch of albums. Left Stage. Came back. Played more. Left again. Played 2 encores and went home - end summary
Hairbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Hairbird »

Mr. Dave wrote:
SirMatticus wrote:
trevor wrote:Setlist tonight = Meh.
Yeah, but still having a great time. Looks like at least one person is taping... not sure if he's doing video.
There's a least 1 more see if you can spot him, he might look pissed from forgetting to hit record.
Sounds like I didn't screw up too badly this time. A quick review right now is sounding OK. Better than silence anyway! I was worried about security, so I went in all covert. Wires up the back of my shirt, and then microphones clipped to my ever so stealthy black dollar store cap. The quality won't compete with a real taper's version, not until I learn to stand still anyway, but I'll post it after I get home at the end of the week.
Hairbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Hairbird »

Good show. It's my first in over 2 years, so I was definitely happy. I'll be looking forward to some different songs tomorrow and Saturday, but I've got no complaints. The new material sounded great, and some of it got a really good response. Speed River had the crowd clapping, and Frozen In My Tracks was a hit. The Last Recluse and Now The Struggle Has A Name didn't seem to fare quite as well, but I enjoyed them. Gord was in great form tonight. I was expecting a bit of a kinder and gentler Gord this year, with the longer shows, accoustic sets, hotel voice and all, but he was as energetic as ever. He's been working out or eating his Wheaties or something, because he's got more energy than I had at 17! If I'm not mistaken (although I probably am), I dont' think he picked up a guitar until ABAC in the second set, which kept him pretty entertaining for the crowd. Poets had some great back and forth soloing between Rob and Paul. I couldn't really see Paul or Johnny too well thanks to that pole in front of me, but they sounded good. The accoustic songs were a treat for me. Probably my first time hearing Toronto #4, Fiddler's Green is still a novelty for me, and Greasy Jungle sounded great with that arrangment. I love Tiger the Lion, and thankfully, after an initially cool reception the crowd was quickly worked into a frenzy. Locked was a great closer. Gord started the song by chiseling his feet out of the stage with his microphone; they were still frozen in his tracks from the previous song. He didn't seem to want to leave the stage at the end, he hung around for quite a while after everyone else had left. Huge boos at the mention of a guy in a Blackhawks jersey. Gord seemed pretty down on hockey in general, despite the Bruins win last night.

Thanks for the beer Matt. I was good to meet you, and I look forward to next time!
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

BDS28 wrote:
tragicallysteve wrote:Looks very similar to the set from Montreal #2
Exact same songs except they replaced Queen, Honey and Recluse with Speed, Coffee and..... Nothing... Yep... A shortened setlist, on top of the already "normal length setlists" in these extra expensive, no opening band, billed as evening show shows.....

I know I've complained about this before, but I really feel like this tour was misleading and I wouldn't have spent $100 x 7 had I not thought they were going to be extra large, 30ish song sets like in 2000.
The Last Recluse was played between Greasy Jungle and Twist My Arm.

Setlist was not very exciting... although I think we are getting spoiled when Pigeon Camera, Toronto #4, Greasy Jungle (Acoustic) and Tiger The Lion are all played at the same show and it seems blah. But there were a lot of played to death songs tonight. It was still a great show, but not nearly as exciting as The Music Hall last month.

Remember in that interview Jim Bryson said they had 9 setlists. That's looking to be true. Boston was very similar to Kitchener 2, tonight almost identical (save 2 songs) to Montreal 2. Not sure if we're going to see any more debuts... that might be it!
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

Gord definately had more "moves" tonight then in the music hall from a couple weeks back which was awswome to see. In fact Fully and poets had to be around the 6 - 7 min mark because of some antics involving twisted mic cables and sweaty hankerchiefs.

As per set yes, it was meh. But meh for us hardcores in this 2009 series . We have been spoiled this year for sure. Highlight was Locked for me. I consider it a rarity , heard it only heard 2 times in 17 shows.....
Greasy, Camera, TO 4 i will take anytime.

Great performance, cant wait for tomorrows show, really hoping for Emperor!!
puckstopper
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by puckstopper »

The boys were in fine form tonight and put on another great show!

I was at Montreal #2, so the setlist didn't "wow" me...but it still rocked.

I love Speed River and how he references Guelph along with it. Also, Frozen In My Tracks impresses me live, while on the album I usually skip it.

Missed Queen of the Furroughs and Country Day.

Enjoy the rest of the week everyone. I'm tempted to make it to the final show next Tuesday!
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

Thanks to the guy from Vancouver who used the chat I could see your words while I was streaming... pretty cool.

The crowd in the front row was pretty laid back... Hope a couple people caught some live stuff...and enjoyed.
Tiger was real good for me.... the rest was good... just good yep - A great nite all around the photo with Paul before hand, 2 setlists, Langlois Pic and some decent photos...

Photos of Night #1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/concertaho ... 935642449/
GBV
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by GBV »

GBV
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by GBV »

thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

I love these shows, because you never know what you're going to get. I kind of liked the set list. Pigeon Camera sounded the best I've ever heard. Some of the other sounds were not so good from where I was (left side gallery) - Morning Moon had way too much bass or something. And while I love the addition of Jim Bryson, the keys were a little too much at the end of Bobcaygeon.

Billy Ray is the hardest working guy in the band - helping Gord get all the wires untangled took up most of his time, and Gord never dropped any of the towels tossed to him!

Hated the fact that I felt awkward for half the show because I was standing. :? People, get out of your seats and enjoy the show. :roll:

See you on Thursday! :thumb:
cordelia
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by cordelia »

So what time did they hit the stage? It looks like around 9PM by check the posts???
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

cordelia wrote:So what time did they hit the stage? It looks like around 9PM by check the posts???
I would assume it was just after 8pm. The setlist updates started around 8:15-8:20.
jtr101
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by jtr101 »

cordelia wrote:So what time did they hit the stage? It looks like around 9PM by check the posts???
Show started a couple minutes after 8 if i'm not mistaken!!

I apologize to any one on the RCF .... i was the very tall guy three rows from the front, hope i didnt' ruin anyones view completely.

First show it 9-10 years ...i know i know its ridiculous....so for me it was great to hear some old and some new!! Gord has still definitely got the energy going, its great to see.
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Mr. Lahey »

Very solid night overall. Now to break it down...

First of all, if you want to be a lazy old turd and sit for the entire show, (as my g11 English teacher liked to say "anal-retentives!") don't ruin it for me to by poking me in the back and saying "I can't see". We weren't at James Taylor last night folks, we were at the HIP! I unfortunately was in the NO STANDING section, centre section of the balcony. I thought I was in Oshawa for a bit there. People only got up for the hits in the 2nd set, like Twist, etc. I just got fed up with the whole thing by then and said f**k it I'm standing, dancing and enjoying myself. I tried to respect the other people but a couple in front of me stood up randomly throughout the night and all I could see was bluejeans, so that was always my cue to stand, too bad. Anyways, enough ranting about the lame crowd!

The band was in fine form! Gord was fantastic! His voice sounded top-notch and he was full of confidence and energy, leaving the friendly confines of the microphone stand area and venturing all around the front of the stage and engaging with the crowd. Gord has really come a long way since even 2004, rarely using the mic stand except for maybe 20 seconds here and there to do some tricks.

For anybody that went to the Danforth show, aswell as last night, would probably agree that the first set was a bit blahh, because it was very similar to the Danforth set. I think the lame crowd kinda took the fun out for me.

The Depression Suite was very well received and got a great ovation. I love how Gord sings this one. It is almost an instant classic. The crowd wasn't really into the new stuff, which is a shame. Though most ppl sat for the Struggle, it sounded great and I really enjoyed it. It's not a fav of mine on the album but live it was a few steps above. Same goes for Speed River. It's much more loud and driven compared to the album version.

So I was a bit bummed after the 1st set, but from the start of the acoustic session forward I was blown away! I left very happy. Tiger the Lion was crazy. Nice to hear Twist My Arm, and Gord was in old-school form for that one.

Although most of us don't look forward to hearing Blow, I do enjoy it as a set closer. The version itself was wicked.

As a final thought, (yes this is a long post) I was dead certain they'd close with Frozen-NOIS. So Locked was a huge relief. Great show. Enjoy night 2! See some of you on Friday!
sherpa
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sherpa »

The Star really outdid themselves with this review - insightful, interesting, and well thought out.