05/11/09: Massey Hall: Toronto, ON

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
Torontonian
New Maybe
New Maybe

Re: 05/11/09: Massey Hall: Toronto, ON

Post by Torontonian »

Thought the show was pretty good, Gord was on it for sure...

As a side note, did anyone notice the crazy "interpretive" dancer on the left side of the balcony (1st balcony)? I ended up watching her the whole "Tiger the Lion" as she was twirling 10 times and almost punching those around her in the face... seriously if she was around me I would have thrown her off the balcony. She was hilarious to watch and I never thought anyone in the audience would be more entertaining to watch than Gord.

For those around her though, I am sure they weren't entertained by her. I wish I could see her on video as myself and a few others around me were crying in laughter.

I really enjoyed the Massey Show, the acoustics in Massey are just terrific.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Since articles vanish:

TORONTO - They're still the same but thankfully aging rather gracefully, too.

For a large chunk of their existence, Kingston's darlings The Tragically Hip have spent years churning out arena rock shows to sold-out audiences from coast to coast.

But with their new studio album, We Are The Same, the band have primarily downsized somewhat, giving fans a more intimate experience with plenty of musical ebbs and flows on multiple nights.

And on Monday night at Toronto's sold-out Massey Hall - the first of six shows at the venue between now and the 19th - the group paced themselves quite well during the two-set, two-hours plus opener.

Led by the enigmatic wordsmith Gord Downie, who stated that old songs and new songs would be played, the quintet (with keyboardist Jim Bryson helping out) were greeted by a raucous standing crowd hoping for a huge, rollicking kick-starter.

Instead, The Hip doled out The Depression Suite, the lengthy and slightly lush nine-minute effort off the new album which appeared to puzzle many. Even Downie seemed clued into the response while singing the line, "what if this song does nothing?"

Although fans clung dearly to crowd pleasers such as Courage (For Hugh MacLennan) and the rock staple Poets from Phantom Power, the first half definitely had its share of pacing, particularly with the rather roots-y Morning Moon which Kathleen Edwards should cover at some point and the nifty Now The Struggle Has A Name. The slower, moody Pigeon Camera also was a pleasant surprise with guitarists Rob Baker and Paul Langlois playing off each other perfectly.

The one constant through all the proverbial gear changes was Downie who rarely stood still. Whether gyrating, tying himself up in his microphone cable, playing hacky-sack with one of several small white towels he used during the night or folding his arms like a pensive pop poet, Downie is still the straw which stirs this Can-rock drink.

As the first set concluded with the punchy single Love Is A First, the second set began with the almost obligatory "acoustic section" where The Tragically Hip breezed through Toronto #4 dedicated to the mothers in light of Mother's Day before nailing the old nugget Fiddler's Green from Road Apples that garnered a large and loud ovation.

The second half definitely saw the band hit its stride with the lighter, quasi-ballad The Last Recluse off the new album before the groovy, swampy, blues-rock of Twist My Arm had the audience off their backsides and dancing. Added to that were two more softer, campfire sing-a-longs in Ahead By A Century and Bobcaygeon, the latter getting huge cheers during the lyric about "that night in Toronto."

Meanwhile the newer material was a hit and miss affair as the up-tempo Speed River fared not as well as Coffee Girl.

After the heady, beefy Tiger The Lion reared its head, The Tragically Hip put the second set to bed with Blow At High Dough with Downie ending the song quipping "Same Tragically Hip thing."

Yes still the same, with thankfully pretty much the same result.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Since Articles Vanish:

An Evening With
The Tragically Hip
(3 out of 4)

At Massey Hall, 178 Victoria St., for five more concerts until May 19. Tickets $49.50-$89.50 at 416-872-4255 or roythomson.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this were a poem, it would be called Is That Weed I Smell and Other Observations of a Hip Virgin.

It's not a poem, but this is a snapshot of my first time seeing The Tragically Hip live, sitting in front of a couple of guys from Timmins who drove seven hours to see the band for the 12th time.

Neither mid-tempo tunes, nor the laid-back, three-song acoustic set would put these reverent fans in their seats for the two-hour show. That also made it difficult for ushers to zone in on the brazen marijuana smokers – something else I'd never witnessed at Massey Hall.

Attendees ranged from teenagers to their grandparents, evidence of the 26-year-old Kingston band's ability to stay fresh and relevant, with their subtle politics, dense rhythms and unapologetic Canadian-ness.

Though playing to loyalists, animated front man Gord Downie still made a point of announcing song titles and giving back stories of tunes such as "Morning Moon," "It Can't Be Nashville Every Night" and "Now the Struggle Has a Name."

I guess the quintet is into whites of their eyes intimacy, kicking off six shows at the venerable theatre instead of one at the Air Canada Centre. That gave Timmins fans Steve Charbonneau and Stacey Cress a first, too. "Being here, it's like our Graceland," Charbonneau said of Massey Hall and its links to Neil Young. "But it's closer and we don't need a passport."
Dana
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blog ... -hall.aspx

There are several things that you will see without fail at every Tragically Hip concert: a sixty year old man with billowing silver hair happily clapping out of rhythm, two hockey dads jumping up and down and hugging while singing along to Courage, a teenager head-banging in the front row, and a girl in a flowing skirt doing the hippy hop and grinning like she’s just declared world peace. All were present and accounted for at last night’s performance at Massey Hall, where The Hip kicked off a six night stint at the storied theatre to a sold out crowd.

This tour is a special treat for hard core Hip fans, of which there are many. Coming off the release of their latest album, We Are The Same, lead singer Gord Downie and the gang have opted for an intimate theatre tour with several shows in each city, rather than hitting the arenas at each stop. The “Evening with the Tragically Hip Tour” has done away with opening acts and instead features two one-hour all-Hip acts.

On a bare stage with little to distract from the classic Canadian rock, The Hip inexplicably opened with the nine minute snoozer, The Depression Suite, but then got the audience to their feet with the always rousing Courage. The first set weaved between mellow and raucous, as the band mixed old favourites like The Struggle Has a Name with mellower hits like Pigeon Camera. The audience, which contained a disproportionate number of father-son couples, loved every minute of it, but the man having the most fun was the always playful Gord Downie.

Whether playing mike cord tug-of-war with the audience, gyrating and hopping like Elaine Benes from Seinfeld, chasing the roadie off the stage with the mike stand, or miming window washing with his sweat towel, The Hip’s charismatic lead singer revelled in the hometown crowd. Between tracks Downie made obscure geographical references that only an Ontario native would understand, and at one point yelled at a hopelessly naïve audience member, “Nice Hawks jersey,” which was greeted with a chorus of cheerful boos.

The second set opened with a subdued acoustic set as a bluish cloud of smoke unfamiliar to the staff of Massey Hall gathered in the rafters. Downie started each song by stating its name and commenting on its inspiration, and during Fiddler’s Green a few fans held their lighters above their heads as the fragrant smog thickened. Gord then blew through a host of crowd pleasers including Bobcaygeon, Ahead by a Century, and At the Hundredth Meridian.

To add to the overwhelming Canadianness of the evening, Rick Mercer was seated directly behind me, and when The Hip ripped into Blow at High Dough – the theme song to Mercer’s now defunct television show Made in Canada – I made a point of turning around a staring really hard into the whites of his eyes to see if I could detect any hint of emotion or regret. Alas, Mercer was too busy bobbing his head to the beat of the last song of the second set to be even remotely annoyed by my penetrating gaze.

The love in the air was palpable as the darkened theatre chanted “Hip, hip, hip,” and the band re-emerged for a four song encore that included Frozen in My Tracks and Locked in the Trunk of a Car. For a band that has some of the most loyal fans out there and little left to prove, The Tragically Hip played like they were performing purely for the love of it. And who knows, maybe at this point, they are.
Dana
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

Torontonian wrote:Thought the show was pretty good, Gord was on it for sure...

As a side note, did anyone notice the crazy "interpretive" dancer on the left side of the balcony (1st balcony)? I ended up watching her the whole "Tiger the Lion" as she was twirling 10 times and almost punching those around her in the face... seriously if she was around me I would have thrown her off the balcony. She was hilarious to watch and I never thought anyone in the audience would be more entertaining to watch than Gord.

For those around her though, I am sure they weren't entertained by her. I wish I could see her on video as myself and a few others around me were crying in laughter.

I really enjoyed the Massey Show, the acoustics in Massey are just terrific.
I saw that woman twirling... very weirdly during Tiger... I have talked to 3-4 people sitting on the floor in different areas who thought the sound was well below Massey Hall Standards. Cannot put my finger on it exactly... but many songs were lost in the mix with certain instruments just not heard at the right levels... also I know Gord D needs the room to run around... but for sitting in the front row I've never had the guys so FAR BACK... Johnny was 35feet back on the stage.

I would like to see them pull the whole "set" forward.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Tthip wrote:... as the band mixed old favourites like The Struggle Has a Name with mellower hits like Pigeon Camera.
Pardon?
Tthip wrote:The love in the air was palpable as the darkened theatre chanted “Hip, hip, hip,” and the band re-emerged for a four song encore that included Frozen in My Tracks and Locked in the Trunk of a Car.
Four song encore?
Last edited by chris on Tue May 12, 2009 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sherpa
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sherpa »

"as the band mixed old favourites like The Struggle Has a Name"

Right on Lady - that old favorite from the album which came out a month ago

Oh and the 4 song encore containing 2 songs - she must have hit the bong hard before they came back out - or they played an additional 2 to her after everyone else left.

and finally
"The Tragically Hip played like they were performing purely for the love of it. And who knows, maybe at this point, they are."
That would be due to the obligation they have had to play up until now, not that they actually have been wanting to do it for the past 20 years.

If you are going to bother to send someone to review the show - at least send someone who can
1. Count
2. Is aware of what the f$%k they are there for
3. Isn't trying to catch up on the history of the band between the end of the show and the deadline for submission

idiot
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

Here was the view from the left gallery:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... e66c0f2fbd

And before anyone wonders, no, I was not the Tiger the Lion girl. :roll:
neilf
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by neilf »

If you are going to bother to send someone to review the show - at least send someone who can
1. Count
2. Is aware of what the f$%k they are there for
3. Isn't trying to catch up on the history of the band between the end of the show and the deadline for submission
While they're at it, perhaps they could tell the writer to calm the F--- down with the Canada references. Seriously - after 20+ years, we all know the band is Canadian, we all know many of their songs reference Canada, and we all know that many of their fans also happen to be Canadian. Ergo, it seems a little redundant to mention the band's "Canadian-ness" three times in the article, with an extra reference to Ontario for good measure.

Also, not being at last night's show, I'm wondering if there really was, as the reviewer states, "a disproportionate number of father-son couples"? I've been to more than 20 Hip shows and never really noticed this trend, so maybe last night's gig was an anomaly.
samthehipfan
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by samthehipfan »

Massey Hall show last night was pretty amazing. Greasy Jungle acoustic was astounding. Didn't think it would work acoustically.

Check out my whole review right here:

http://www.hardbossmag.com/?p=695
samthehipfan
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by samthehipfan »

By the way, I saw the Tiger the Lion dancer too! Can't stand that song(sorry if you love it) so she provided a nice distraction with her weird yet strangely awesome dancing haha.
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

TheStar.com | Music | Hip virgin visits fans' `Graceland'
Hip virgin visits fans' `Graceland'
RICK MADONIK/TORONTO STAR

An Evening With The Tragically Hip

(3 out of 4 stars)

At Massey Hall, 178 Victoria St., for five more concerts until May 19. Tickets $49.50-$89.50 at 416-872-4255 or roythomson.com

If this were a poem, it would be called Is That Weed I Smell and Other Observations of a Hip Virgin.

It's not a poem, but this is a snapshot of my first time seeing The Tragically Hip live, sitting in front of a couple of guys from Timmins who drove seven hours to see the band for the 12th time.

Neither mid-tempo tunes, nor the laid-back, three-song acoustic set would put these reverent fans in their seats for the two-hour show. That also made it difficult for ushers to zone in on the brazen marijuana smokers – something else I'd never witnessed at Massey Hall.

Attendees ranged from teenagers to their grandparents, evidence of the 26-year-old Kingston band's ability to stay fresh and relevant, with their subtle politics, dense rhythms and unapologetic Canadian-ness.

Though playing to loyalists, animated front man Gord Downie still made a point of announcing song titles and giving back stories of tunes such as "Morning Moon," "It Can't Be Nashville Every Night" and "Now the Struggle Has a Name."

I guess the quintet is into whites of their eyes intimacy, kicking off six shows at the venerable theatre instead of one at the Air Canada Centre. That gave Timmins fans Steve Charbonneau and Stacey Cress a first, too. "Being here, it's like our Graceland," Charbonneau said of Massey Hall and its links to Neil Young. "But it's closer and we don't need a passport."
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

This was in the comment section on the web site.

Lose their license

Massey hall should face serious charges from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario. I know a comedy club owner in Ottawa who lost his liquor permit for a week because someone was smoking something that may have been pot in the parking lot. Yet Massey Hall gets away with it? Where are the AGCO inspectors?!

Submitted by RussLBarth at 6:40 AM Tuesday, May 12 2009

It's crazy how worked up the squares are getting over pot smoking this tour. What is up with that? :roll:
Torontonian
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Torontonian »

NegPhil wrote:This was in the comment section on the web site.

Lose their license

Massey hall should face serious charges from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario. I know a comedy club owner in Ottawa who lost his liquor permit for a week because someone was smoking something that may have been pot in the parking lot. Yet Massey Hall gets away with it? Where are the AGCO inspectors?!

Submitted by RussLBarth at 6:40 AM Tuesday, May 12 2009

It's crazy how worked up the squares are getting over pot smoking this tour. What is up with that? :roll:
Probably going to open a bag of worms here, but I could not agree more. I used to smoke at concerts but rarely do anymore... have few beers whatever I still do.

Regardless, when I go to a rock concert, I expect to smell pot, to see people drunk etc etc.... unless it is a drunk/stoned individual ruining the show by yelling too much etc, then I don't care at all. But just the smell in the air I expect or am not offended by... and it bugs me when old people come to a Hip show to sit on their hands and complain about others around them enjoying themselves. Like they should be going to the symphony if they want everyone to sit down, not smoke or have a good time in general.

I also think it is just luck of the draw obviously who you have around you... at some shows I meet some really great people and have a blast in my row... others, I want to tell to go home and watch Oprah.
RevolutionMan
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by RevolutionMan »

Amen to that. Wanna complain about people smoking then you are at the wrong place. That is unbelievable some people get all up tight about it. I agree if that said person(s) is too hammered or stoned and making ruckus than that is totally understandable but I mean cmon its a rock show. How can you not goto a concert and expect many (thats right, many) people to not lit up a butt or a joint? I mean holy cow get a life. Too many of you worry about the people around you and can make any comment you want, rather than enjoying the show and thinking for yourselves. Like the AC/DC concert this past January some people behind me and my friends were mad because we were standing in front of them. Like really get a life we stood the whole time and rather than them enjoying theirselves, us standing in front of them was all they worried about the entire two hours and people like that (or the pot complainers) ruin it for themselves. If you don't like it, call Massey Hall management or quit going to concerts all together the world doesn't revolve around people like them, it passes them by instead.