05/08/09: Nokia Theatre: New York City, NY

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Re: 05/08/09: Nokia Theatre: New York City, NY

Post by eatmecompletely »

i will be at a sake bar
http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/sake-bar-hagi/

152 w. 49th near 7th.
212-764-8549

it should be a great start !
cant wait to hear flamenco aucoustic tonight

thats my call!
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Flamenco will be played tonight.
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

No setlist tonight eh?? Bummer.... :(
blacksox12
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by blacksox12 »

And here I am stuck at work on conference call with nothing to check up on! Somebody please break the madness!!! :nooooo
Feb 13, 1995 Sudbury, ON | Jul 21, 1995, Montreal, PQ | Mar 02, 1999, Regina, SK | Dec 07, 2000, Montreal, PQ | Jun 22, 2002, Ste. Adele,QC | Jul 11, 2002, Ottawa, ON | Oct 15, 2002, Toronto, ON | Dec 31, 2002, Hamilton, ON | Jul 10, 2004, Ottawa, ON | Oct 23, 2004, Ottawa, ON | Nov 28, 2004, Ottawa, ON | Oct 17, 2006, Toronto, ON | Feb 02, 2007, Ottawa, ON | Jul 03, 2008, Ottawa, ON | Sep 26, 2009, Ottawa, ON | Apr 14, 2015, Kingston, ON | Aug 18, 2016, Ottawa, ON
auntieK
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by auntieK »

OK...here's what they played, not in order- and I may have missed something because I'm working from memory:

Depression Suite (opener)
NOIS
Now the Struggle has a Name
In View
Frozen in my Tracks
Love is a First
The Drop Off
Family Band
The Last Recluse
Long Time Running (acoustic)
Escape is at Hand for the Traveling Man
Morning Moon
Bobcaygeon
ABAC
Coffee Girl
Fireworks
Poets
Locked in the Trunk of a Car
Flamenco (acoustic)
Courage
The Rules (acoustic)
Tiger the Lion (encore)
Blow at High Dough (encore)

The best I can do...please correct!!

Fantastic show...not too fond of the keyboard player- OK most of the time but totally screwed up coffee girl and did some really weird stuff. Good crowd, really nice venue. Spent the first set front row, right up against the railing. Gord was as entertaining as ever. His main crew guy apparently is in charge of keeping Gord constantly supplied with fresh hankies. Lots of audience members are going home with a sweaty souvenir tonight.
Jrock1818
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Jrock1818 »

I have one of those sweaty sourivners from gord. It was one of the last ones ( this is in philly). I was wth my girldfriend and the whole t ime he kept throwing them out and not to her adn then gord finally made eye contact w ith her kissed the rag and then nicley tossed it to her, so i haev that and both of the setlists to go with it to make a pretty cool picture frame out of it, to go along with my cleveland and Buffalo setlists.
greenscor
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by greenscor »

Depression
New O
Escape!
Struggle
View
ABAC
Moon
Frozen
Courage
Drop
Love

Rules!! A
Flamenco A
Bob C a
Feeling
Fully
Longtime Not Acoustic
Coffee
Poets
Fireworks
Recluse
Family band

Tiger
Blow

Great concert I will give a review later
daylight
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by daylight »

Nice to see the Rules dusted off! I'm glad to see a few different slow songs on this tour, the usual selection was getting pretty stale for me.
nyc_hip
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by nyc_hip »

Went to the show last night and was great to see the band in top form. Very solid and Gord was his usual entertaining self. One comment though: DON'T START DRINKING AT NOON IF YOU'RE GOING TO A CONCERT AT 8:30 PM! 95% of the audience was great, into the show, loving the band, etc. But a couple of groups of wasted retards really started to ruin the whole experience. Don't get me wrong, I like having a few beers and catching a buzz, especially at a concert. But whoever the crew of shit-heads wearing shades and complete denim outfits (really?) was, they were REALLY ruining the experience. Spilling beer, shoving everyone, starting fights with each other, just being assholes in every possible way. Blind fucking drunk. Learn to handle your liquor for crying out loud or stay home.
Oh, and crowd surfing? What is this? Lollapalooza '93? A mosh pit at a D.O.A. show ok, cool. In the middle of "Recluse" at a classy theatre in New York? Are you kidding me? I'm here to see & hear a show, not to have your sweaty ass grinding on my head.
A few knuckleheads in a roomful of fans sour the mix.
Great band. Great music. Great show.
skinman8
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by skinman8 »

Had a great time at the show.We went to Smiths bar and we met some guys who came up from Philly.As usual talked with people from all over,can't go to show without meeting a bunch of nice people.Nice place,cant wait to see them at Art Park June 6th!
jda407
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by jda407 »

Great show!! Great Venue!!! Outstanding as usual!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jda407
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by jda407 »

more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kbernardp
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by kbernardp »

Here's the one worthwhile pic that my wife and I were able to get.
MAverick
Completist
Completist

Post by MAverick »

Edward_K
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Edward_K »

Thanks for posting the actual setlist...

here is my review for NYC - i will do the same for Beantown shortly. The venue was an excellent setting for a show and the crowd was typically great - i was standing in the mid - to back right with 3 american friends who are now big hip fans and we go to see them every tour in either Boston or NYC.

Have to agree with an earlier poster, the crowd surfing was ridiculous and you could tell there was a group of "yahoos" up towards the front left. We had one guy wearing a red Canada hockey jersey who could barely stand that was a big nuisance to all in the back right.

Other than that, the crowd around us was great - although we were jumping and dancing and enjoying ourselves and thankfully everyone around us joined in.

first, have to comment on our dinner at Choi (Koy) - absolutely amazing sushi and scene - for those in NYC, check it out.

Depression Suite for an opener is great. it intros the new album right away and the sound in the Nokia Center was just amazing for this tune! Everyone enjoyed this tune and my friends had never heard it before and really liked it.

New Orleans - good but not great - a little early for this, imo.

ABAC came across amazing and Bobby was really into it as was the crowd.

Frozen, Courage, Drop off and Love is a Curse was a heck of a way to end that set...3 of their harder tunes and throw in Tiger the Lion and this may have been one fo the 'harder' number of tunes in any of their set lists on this tour.

For the acoustics, the rules was pretty low key with the crowd with only the diehards enjoying - the same could be said with Morning Moon and Coffee Girl.

Flamenco was just incredible and I am so glad I heard this and then BobCageon as acoustics - the crowd was absolutely blown away and it made for an incredible second set that the whole crowd was RIGHT into.

Besides Flamenco and Escape, my fave tune from this night was Locked....watching Downie walk back and forth as it started was amazing - the band and his voice was as tight as i have ever heard!

My only complaint was that they should play another encore if the crowd is demanding it...especially in Boston as the crowd was still going nuts when they turned on the lights!

Still, without a doubt, the worlds greatest live band! And if they play this venue again, make sure you get to it!

Cheers, Edward