05/07/09: Theatre of Living Arts: Philadelphia, PA

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
knightrider
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Re: 05/07/09: Theatre of Living Arts: Philadelphia, PA

Post by knightrider »

Sounds like this show might have been A.D.'s first (last?) encounter with the Hip and that he/she didn't "get it."
"unsubtle"
"weighty"
"bald"
"rapid-fire"
"epic"
"overly talky"
"overblown drone"
"oddball observation"
and in the end: "weird."

As in, take your loud, weird music, and your jersey-wearing, defensive, funny-sounding, nut-job fans back across that bridge and don't come back. Or if you do & my editor wants me to go, I think I'm gonna come down with the Swine Flu.

That's cool. If it was for everyone, I'd probably be into something else.
emperpenguin
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by emperpenguin »

knightrider wrote:Sounds like this show might have been A.D.'s first (last?) encounter with the Hip and that he/she didn't "get it."
"unsubtle"
"weighty"
"bald"
"rapid-fire"
"epic"
"overly talky"
"overblown drone"
"oddball observation"
and in the end: "weird."

As in, take your loud, weird music, and your jersey-wearing, defensive, funny-sounding, nut-job fans back across that bridge and don't come back. Or if you do & my editor wants me to go, I think I'm gonna come down with the Swine Flu.

That's cool. If it was for everyone, I'd probably be into something else.
Love that line... Too bad for him.
jcarver67
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by jcarver67 »

I know a.d. a little bit, read his Icepack column and have even been to a show with him (Bauhaus reunion tour at the Electric Factory). He is a writer, a bon vivant and much weirder than the lot of us put together. He would be much more at home reviewing an underground band/artist. He's a critic - read critical.

All in all, I thought he set the reader up for the last line throughout the piece and was more positive than negative. He always talks about getting the chip off our shoulders as Philadelphians (inferiority complex with NYC and DC) and I think he's telling hip fans the same. His last paragraph is his compliament

"The Hip find simple subjects such as standing at the Grand Canyon's lip and glancing downward, and create rich, weird, detailed narratives and loud music about the experience. And that isn't so tragic after all."

just my take on it.
Ballgame
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Ballgame »

you guys see Riley Cote and Jofery Lupol there?
knightrider
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by knightrider »

Sure did, along with Mike Richards, Luca Sbisa, Danny Briere, and Glenn Metropolit - also Neil Little for anyone who knows who he is. And quite a few members of the Princeton women's hockey team.