05/01/09: Metropolis: Montreal, PQ

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Re: 05/01/09: Metropolis: Montreal, PQ

Post by spottrax »

SirMatticus wrote:
trevor wrote:Ah, Gus just reared his ugly head again! Could have lived without that one this tour!
Heh. I don't mind Gus, but now that The Bear is around Gus can go back to sleep. And he can take Springtime and Giftshop with him.
Gus for some reason is the ONLY song in the Hip catalog that I would call my "bathroom break" song. Just don't get what the deal with that tune is..

And for me...Springtime comes to life in concert but is a "skip" on the cd...

just my two cents :thumb:
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Which bear would win in a fight?
Gus or THE Bear?
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
ceebuler
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by ceebuler »

Inexplicably, there is already a well-edited highlight video on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9oynXnEoA8
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Nothing too inexplcable - Photographers and TV are allowed to stay and record for the first 3 songs - then they have plenty of time to get back to the studio to edit.
ceebuler wrote:Inexplicably, there is already a well-edited highlight video on youtube

"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
tthhead87
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by tthhead87 »

Amazing show! The boys sounded more on tonight then when I saw them last week at The Music Hall.

Frozen In My Tracks made for an epic live song... Gord gets the audience involved during the "whoaaaaa oooooh" and the band ripped the song up. It's one of my fav's on the album and it fully exceeded my expectations live. I would put it on any set list.

Gus was killer tonight. Played so well, Gord so intense.

Speed River also pretty well played. They did a great job with it. Both of the unplayed WATS tracks sounded better then the Queen of the Furrows from a few days back, they really got to work on Furrows more.

For me, it was a first seeing Throwing Off Glass and I've always loved the song, its on all my sleeping playlists. It was great to hear live.

The Dark Cancuck was a pleasure to hear, so so happy they brought it back. Great choice as an encore opener. Like the rest of the show, they played it so well. Sounded mint to me.

Acoustic Family and NOIB were perfect. God I love this acoustic 2nd set opener.

Springtime and Grace were really well played, Rob was killing tonight, especially on these tracks.

Overall amazing show, cant wait for tomorrow night.
tragicallysteve
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by tragicallysteve »

Tthip wrote:Which bear would win in a fight?
Gus or THE Bear?
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?la ... 2=the+bear

Looks like acoustic bear by a landslide. Sorry Gus-lovers, Google Fights are admissible in court.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

tragicallysteve wrote:
Tthip wrote:Which bear would win in a fight?
Gus or THE Bear?
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?la ... 2=the+bear

Looks like acoustic bear by a landslide. Sorry Gus-lovers, Google Fights are admissible in court.
And it's still a landslide if you include all of Central Park on Gus' team: http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?la ... he+Bear%22
HIPLVR
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by HIPLVR »

Jenna_Bird wrote:I'd love to know what a nice little acoustic Are We Family sounds like. I've always been a sucker for it, which may be a chick thing.

-Jenna
Don't think it's a chick thing :thumb:
HIPLVR
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by HIPLVR »

SirMatticus wrote:
trevor wrote:Ah, Gus just reared his ugly head again! Could have lived without that one this tour!
Heh. I don't mind Gus, but now that The Bear is around Gus can go back to sleep. And he can take Springtime and Giftshop with him.
Giftshop with the keyboards is a new animal. Was brilliant the other night. Assume the same last night :)
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

chris wrote:Setlist
01: The Depression Suite
02: Family Band
03: Gift Shop
04: The Last Recluse
05: Puttin' Down
06: New Orleans Is Sinking
07: Throwing Off Glass
08: Bobcaygeon
09: Speed River
10: The Lonely End Of The Rink
11: Now The Struggle Has A Name

Intermission

12: Are We Family (acoustic)
13: If New Orleans Is Beat (acoustic)
14: Lake Fever (acoustic)
15: Nautical Disaster
16: Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
17: Coffee Girl
18: The Exact Feeling
19: Springtime In Vienna
20: Morning Moon
21: Grace, Too
22: Frozen In My Tracks
23: My Music At Work

Encore
24: The Dark Canuck
25: Little Bones
I know I keep saying it, but these setlists are amazing! Please, please keep this format up for the San Francisco shows! 'If New Orleans Is Beat'?! Wow!
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Mr. Lahey »

What a killer acoustic session that is!!!

These setlists are beyond my craziest of expectations. The only way I'll be disappointed at my 2 Massey Hall shows is if they LEAVE OUT Depression Suite :(
Shane Kroeker
Completist
Completist

Post by Shane Kroeker »

If New Orleans is Beat, Frozen In My Tracks, & The Dark Canuck make this a really solid setlist. My jaw was dropped as I read over the list! :shock:
Shane Kroeker
Completist
Completist

Post by Shane Kroeker »

http://communities.canada.com/montrealg ... may-1.aspx
Concert review: The Tragically Hip at Metropolis, May 1
Tragically Hip ringmaster Gordon Downie defined his band’s two-set marathon at Metropolis Friday night when he introduced their latest disc, We Are the Same, as an album “full of conversations.” Not paranoid rants, not existential conundrums – two of the Hip’s stocks in trade – but something more reasoned and rational.

Reasoned and rational are risky selling points when a band is known for manic propulsion. But whereas the relentless pace of the Hip’s two most recent tours left audiences gasping, Friday night’s considered pace left lots of breathing room. As a result, the Hip we saw was more multi-dimensional, more full and complete, if not more fearsome.

Selecting the nine-minute-plus Depression Suite as an opening number sent a clear message that this wouldn’t be a race to the finish. Afterward – and not for the last time – Downie acknowledged the challenge being posed: “You passed the initiation.”

There were early rewards for fans who embraced that rite of passage: a darker, swampier New Orleans Is Sinking, with Downie casting himself as a hell-bound bluesman; the failsafe Bobcaygeon, with its nuances lost but its latent desperation revealed. There were also more challenges: a creaky Throwing Off Glass, and Now the Struggle Has a Name – a subdued choice for a set-ender, with a particularly committed vocal driving its mid-tempo crunch.

Some party-starved grumblers overheard during intermission probably weren’t assuaged when the band re-emerged and sat down for a few acoustic numbers, but the arrangements spotlighted the weathered beauty of Are We Family and Lake Fever. After Downie thanked the enthralled “for your kind indulgence,” the distracted got what they came for: Nautical Disaster’s night terrors; Springtime in Vienna, featuring an extended intro and combustible chorus; and an unstoppable Grace, Too, highlighted by Downie’s triple-jointed writhing.

The latter was the moment awaited by those who came purely to see steam shoot from the frontman’s facial orifices. Other ticket holders came away with something less fleeting: a thoughtful portrait of a mature band that is, in its way, more confrontational than ever – challenging its fans by not always giving them what they want. Every group should be so brave after 20-plus years of existence.

The Tragically Hip perform again Saturday at Metropolis.

-- Jordan Zivitz
birdseyeview
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by birdseyeview »

I have a bunch of pictures from the show if anyone wants to check them out...they are here...

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album ... ity=rCJUKi

Overall 1-10

Song Choice - 7
Musically - 9
Memorable - 10

The first set was a little disappointing and it seemed like ending it with struggle was sort of a downer.

The acoustics did me in, all three of them.

The second set had much more energy and it seemed like the crowd was into it more.

Made out like a bandit from that show. Gord by accident threw me a hanky during nautical and gave a headshake noting to give it to one of the girls next to me...so I gave it to my girlfriend. Gord smiles, walks back over to where his water is, grabs a guitar pick and hands it to me!! It was awesome. What's weird about the pick is that hand written on it says " I love you Frank". I asked Gord what it meant after the show and he just chuckled. We also walked away with two set lists (set 1.a and 1.b). Gord D., Johnny, and Paul were signing after the show.
Mr. Dave
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Mr. Dave »