04/29/09: Centre In The Square: Kitchener, ON

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
laliber
DareDevil
DareDevil

Re: 04/29/09: Centre In The Square: Kitchener, ON

Post by laliber »

the encore was not as good as night 1 and 2...
sullivand
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sullivand »

These have all been just mind-blowing setlists, considering the rut this band was in back in 2004. Personally, the chance to see Something On and Save the Planet and Three Pistols at the same show -- like they got tonight -- is something I figured would never happen again. And you can say the same thing about any three rare songs from any of the shows so far this tour. Man, I wish I had tickets to any show on this tour. Come on fall 09 in the States ...
boot
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by boot »

Set list... if I recall correctly... Yer not the ocean was second last song in the first set.

First set was definitely more interesting tonight than the first set the last couple of nights. Had me worried halfway thru the show that the second set would be a little more standard - but I was wrong! Great couple of shows.

Dire Wolf was great to see. After Dark Canuck last night, I was really hoping we'd get this one too. Then we got the new Speed River. Gord introduced it while referencing Guelph and/or Cambridge... which the Speed River goes thru... came off well, though Gord's voice seemed lower in the mix tonight than the last 2 nights. Greasy Jungle was awesome.

VERY surprised to see World Container... I expected this one to be retired. Crowd was dead for it. I'll enjoy it on occasion though.

Acoustic set was excellent. Everybody was stoked for Boots - entire crowd was clapping along, and Fiddlers was incredible. That's the way the song is meant to be performed. Lake Fever... well, I prefer the non-acoustic, myself, but it was nice to see it mixed up.

Last Recluse... with Gord still hitting the high notes (but for how long? :) ), and Poets, back in the latter half of the setlist. Save the Planet surprising (how many songs off of PP are we getting, anyways?).... and I enjoyed Coffee Girl again. Grace, too.... Crowd went nuts. Fantastic version. Country day with the slide for Robbie... and 3 pistols to close!

Again, surprised to see Struggle performed again (so, that's everything except Frozen In my Tracks?).... And closed w/ New Orleans. The band sort of mixed this up a little bit... it was a little more than the paint-by-numbers version we've got on some of the recent tours... I was half-expecting a second encore, but the house lights came on immediately, and the crowd filed out.

3 absolutely fantastic shows in K/W down... can't wait to see how the tour progresses the next few weeks before Toronto!
Gusthepolarbear12
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Gusthepolarbear12 »

That set list missed a song! After world container and before Love is a First they played YER NOT THE OCEAN!!!

SICK SHOW!
Gusthepolarbear12
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Grace too was totally the highlight.. his high pitched girly screams hahahaha

By the way what does he call Kitchener?? I couldnt really understand, the nair? Nerd? lol
GordsGal
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by GordsGal »

He was calling it NER as in Kitche-NER ... my favourite Gordie name for KW was Kitchi-loo lol!
HIPLVR
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by HIPLVR »

There is nobody anywhere, that does anything better, than what these guys do.
We are all so lucky.

Freakin incredible show.

I typed a whole review and I have somehow lost it - I'm not retyping it all.

It's hard to find a gem in this list but I have to say that Pistols tonight might be the best song I've ever heard live, anywhere, anytime. Highlight of the night for me, for sure.
My 2 fav albums are DFN and PP so getting Greasy and all the PP songs was great. Grace is my fav song, bar none, so that was nice too. (I was so happy it wasn't played first two nights, figured it for tonight due to that fact - I'll take it!!)

(CTRL+A, CTRL+C - Just in case ;) )
HIPLVR
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by HIPLVR »

boot wrote:Set list... if I recall correctly... Yer not the ocean was second last song in the first set.
Yep :thumb:
HIPLVR
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by HIPLVR »

Gusthepolarbear12 wrote:Grace too was totally the highlight.. his high pitched girly screams hahahaha
How can a guy scream like that, on key, and make it sound like another instrument. Unreal.
Gusthepolarbear12
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

hahaha i have no idea but it was awesome! Then he threw the towel on his face and continued to scream like a school girl!

Three pistols & Grace, Too blew the show away.

And thanks.. the NER makes sense. I was wondering what he was trying to get at the 1st and 3rd show.

"Kitchener is alot like Kingston you know, Ya... we are. (long pause), they both start with the same LETTER!"

I love gord
GordsGal
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by GordsGal »

Gusthepolarbear12 wrote: And thanks.. the NER makes sense. I was wondering what he was trying to get at the 1st and 3rd show.

I love gord
Yeah, the Ner comment got almost no response on Monday night so I was surprised when he said it again tonight.

I thought it was funny that the people in the front didn't seem into Gordie "washing" their hair ... he could wash my hair (rub my head) any time :D
Gusthepolarbear12
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

GordsGal wrote:
Gusthepolarbear12 wrote: And thanks.. the NER makes sense. I was wondering what he was trying to get at the 1st and 3rd show.

I love gord
Yeah, the Ner comment got almost no response on Monday night so I was surprised when he said it again tonight.

I thought it was funny that the people in the front didn't seem into Gordie "washing" their hair ... he could wash my hair (rub my head) any time :D
YA! Gordsgal!

Thats exactly what I said to my buddy, If he did that the first show when I was in row two I would have definitly let him washed my hair hahahah, and I laughed really hard when he was pretending to wash bakers hair too.

And then that really drunk girl goes up about a set and a half later and gets her hair washed :lol:

Best live band ever.
Jack Straw
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Jack Straw »

The band is drawing from a real nice pool of songs. 60 (and counting) so far. Another nicely put together setlist. I think anyone going all three nights would have definitely felt like they got a unique experience each night.

Kudos to the band. Can't wait to hear this show.
BeerBaron
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by BeerBaron »

GREAT SHOW TONIGHT!!

The setlist is missing a song though ... "Don't Wake Daddy" was played towards the end of the second set ... don't remember the exact spot but I think it was right after Country Day.
Kitchener 4/27/09
Kitchener 4/29/09
Toronto 2/14/13
Shane Kroeker
Completist
Completist

Post by Shane Kroeker »

BeerBaron wrote:GREAT SHOW TONIGHT!!

The setlist is missing a song though ... "Don't Wake Daddy" was played towards the end of the second set ... don't remember the exact spot but I think it was right after Country Day.
If you are serious and not drunk, then that makes this list truly special!