04/28/09: Centre In The Square: Kitchener, ON

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Re: 04/28/09: Centre In The Square: Kitchener, ON

Post by sean.bonner »

I love Throwing Off Glass.
All that I can say right no is
f**k YES.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

wow, glass makes the apperance. prolly hasnt been played more then a handful of times. 50 mc hasnt been played in a while on top of that

I did notice the set was 1 short of previous nights shows which is weird, but the good news is, the freaking rarities continue to roll in. Theres been more diversity in the last 3 setlists then in the last 3 tours.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Indie Smash wrote:Well I have tix for 8 shiws so far, so I have a shot .
Fellow Buffalo guy, what shows are you hitting?
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Indie Smash
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Indie Smash »

So far, Boston, Toronto night 6, Artpark all 4 nights, Rochester and Hamilton 1
Chris Tanz
Completist
Completist

Post by Chris Tanz »

throwing off glass -- are you kidding me?? thompson girl?!? Josephine!! [makes a sound like eyes rolling back in his head]

dark canuck coulda been the best hip song ever, but they didn't play it enough after IVL dropped. here's hoping its on its way to its rightful place.

ct
BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

Thx every one for participating and to Chris for the Setlist.See ya tommorow night!
tthhead87
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by tthhead87 »

EPICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
WesleyC.
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by WesleyC. »

I gotta say Monday night was pretty good but tonight (Tuesday) wholly f**k that was good. Im pretty sure that is the best Hip show I have ever seen.
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Mr. Lahey »

WOW What an unreal setlist. That one truly blows me away. They are showing that any song is fair game and anything is possible on this tour. Glass & Canuck I thought were dead and buried.

I figured Josephine would make an appearance sooner than later, very cool tune.

I wish I could have a DVD of every single show. What a shame to miss any of these gems :)
The Horrible Esthete
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by The Horrible Esthete »

How was Furrows? Sound good?
tthhead87
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by tthhead87 »

CANT WAIT TO HEAR THIS SHOW....

also wondering about furrows live...

Anyone here going to the MTL Shows?
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

Queen of the Furrows sounded phenomenal. Robby had his electric and mandolin around his neck. Gord's vocals were really good, for the whole show actually, one of the stronger vocal performances I've heard from him. I was so glad to hear that one, as they hadn't played it yet. The Depression Suite gave me goosebumps, it is an EPIC song.

Love is a First as an opener was amazing. I really never liked that song at all on the album, but live it sounds great. Eldorado was insanely good. The Dark Canuck was also goosebump inducing. Music @ Work acoustically was incredible.

and THROWING OFF GLASS!!!!! worth the price of admission. Gord said they had only ever played it once before "which doesnt make us a heck of a band, but it does make you a heck of an audience"

EricStoner it was nice to meet ya, and I was glad I could share the show with you and your buddies.
sherpahigh
Completist
Completist

Post by sherpahigh »

oh man, I have to wait until September!? this tour's off to a fantastic start, can't wait to see what we've got in store.
boot
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by boot »

Night 2 down. I'm counting the minutes to night 3. Love the beginning of a tour, you never know what's next!

Love is a first is a great opener. Surprised at first to see this as an opener (I shouldn't have been), but loving this song live. I thought the 'rant' was a little forced in yesterday's show, but seemed much more natural & comfortable tonight. Poets second, and I'm thinking what's next?!... but I think Poets needs to be later in the setlist. Very little of a jam or anything this early.

Josephine. Awesome. Love this song, thought it was gone from the setlist. It disappeared too early in the IBE tour. Gord kinda screwed up the words to the first verse, but a quick recovery.

Depression... ABAC... Nashville! Awesome! Love Nashville... but the crowd was DEAD. The guys in front of us left during this song to go get beer. Maybe it was just where I was sitting. Morning moon didn't help - the crowd was obviously jonesing for some old stuff.... and Fully Completely brought them back. Gord was canoeing around the stage w/ his mic stand for a paddle.... Stepping across the monitors.

Courage & Springtime to close... Crowd loved Courage, but was pretty reserved for Springtime.

Acoustic... Thompson Girl... I'm not a huge fan of the song, but enjoyed the acoustic take on it. Very nice. My take - they're working very hard on the acoustic versions... putting the effort in to the versions to keep them faithful. Flamenco surprised... 2 nights in a row? really? I won't complain for such a beautiful song. I really expected something like Scared next, but totally surprised w/ M@W.... Fantastic! Gord could barely stay seated for the whole song.

Struggle was next... I took the opportunity to look around the crowd, was actually surprised at the number of people visibly singing along with the song. Nice to see.... and then finally... Queen of the Furrows! Great. I'm no musician here, so I'm going to get the instrument wrong, but Bobby's been playing a mandolin-type instrument for a couple of the songs on the new album.... he had that AND an electric guitar strapped on for this song, and went back & forth between the two. I'm really liking this song, despite how ridiculous I feel singing the lyric "hens cluck and roosters crow"...

In view.... heard it yesterday too, but noticed tonight how different it sounded having Bryson play along. Much closer to the album versions, vs. the live version we were getting on the last tour. El Dorado... fanstastic. The crowd was really starting to get into the show now, and a lot louder. Bobcaygeon is always a crowd pleaser... Then the Dark Canuck! Awesome! Gord sat on the speakers for a spell, much like the IVL tour. The latter half came off awesome. Dark & moody.

Family Band was great to see... love the song. The mix sounded a little too loud & washed out to me... but maybe I'm just getting old... :)... And then Blow to close. Crowd went wild. No crazy antics or anything from Gord... just a solid performance to close.

I was updating my show list on the hip.com before the show... and commented to my wife about the songs that I had seen performed just once (she thinks I've been to too many shows)... Specifically mentioned Throwing Off Glass. Band comes out for the encore "We're going to play a song now that I think we've played just once before"... and I can't even think what it could be... heck, they've played the Bear twice now. They launch into throwing off glass. I little more electric & edgier than the album version... almost more moodier. Not as "delicate" as the album version, but thought it came off great. I love how this band cares about their songs.

And then 50MC to close. Crowd goes nuts. Fantastic. Bring on tomorrow. I can't wait.
Joe
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Joe »

Wow what a great setlist