04/27/09: Centre In The Square: Kitchener, ON

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
Jack Straw
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Re: 04/27/09: Centre In The Square: Kitchener, ON

Post by Jack Straw »

Zronikw wrote:My bro wrote this review. I liked reading it so much I posted.

REVIEW: The Tragically Hip, Centre in the Square, April 27

Turning the Hip on its head

By John Paul Zronik

Most veterans of Tragically Hip concerts have come to expect the expected. The same songs performed the same way night after night, with little variation in set lists and few, if any, surprises.
Well, surprise, Hip fans. This is not the band you remember.
Can you say: "Acoustic Fireworks?"
During a two-set show at Kitchener's Centre in the Square Monday night, the Hip delivered one surprise after another, performing what this reviewer considers one of the bands finest-ever concerts, including a sit-down acoustic performance of three songs to open the second half of the night.
Opening the show with Depression Suite - the longest track on We Are the Same, the band's latest record - was a brilliant choice, going places the Hip has never gone before. I can not say enough about the live performance of this song. Wonderful, emotional, passionate and a rocking finish.
All of the band's new songs translated brilliantly into the live setting, including Coffee Girl, Morning Moon, Honey Please, Love is a Curse (first set), The Last Recluse, Now The Struggle Has A Name (second set) and the encore The Exact Feeling.
But let us get to the heart of the matter. When it comes to oldies and goodies, the Hip delivered. And not in the form of Hip standards like New Orleans is Sinking, Little Bones or Fifty Mission Cap.
The band reached into the vault, performing the rarely played Yawning or Snarling (good enough to make you want to cry), The Bear (a pleasant acoustic surprise) and On the Verge (need I say more), as well as Hip hits In View, Twist My Arm, Escape is at Hand, Wheat Kings, 100th Meridian, Poets, Flamenco, Putting Down and Locked in the Trunk of a Car.
For the casual Hip fan, the set list may have seemed short on familiarity, but for the initiated, it was heavenly. I overheard one guy standing at the urinal after the show saying "They didn't play enough old stuff." I disagree with that assessment: They did play enough old stuff, just not the mundane "old stuff" people remember.
And seeing the Hip in an acoustic setting gave me a new appreciation for the band. The intimate sit down performance of The Bear, Wheat Kings and Fireworks was a stroke of brilliance. The sound was pure.
So, I loved the show. My only question: What took these guys so long to figure out what they are capable of? Mixing the set and throwing in the unexpected made this a Hip show to remember, one I will never forget. And the band was HOT!
Who knows where the tour and song selection will go from here, but if the Hip keeps delivering surprises like it did Monday night, concert goers are in for a real treat. Really.
My only regret is that I planned to attend only one show this tour, believing these guys would deliver more of the same, as they have year after year.
So a question for you, dear readers: Who has my extra?

Set 1:
Depression Suite
In View
Coffee Girl
Twist My Arm
Morning Moon
IAGLIYDW
Escape Is At Hand
Honey Please
Tiger The Lion
100th Meridian
Love Is A Curse
Set 2:
The Bear
Wheat Kings
Fireworks
The Last Recluse
Poets
As Makeshift As We Are
Inevitablity Of Death
Yawning or Snarling
Flamenco
Putting Down
Now The Struggle Has A Name
Locked In The Trunk Of A Car
*ENCORE*
The Exact Feeling
OnThe Verge
Thanks for posting your brother's review. I really enjoyed it.

I wrote a post not too long ago concerning where The Hip could take their setlists and their performance for that matter if they wanted to. We'll see how the tour shakes out, but for me and I'm sure most of you on this board, this is heaven sent. There is nothing better than walking in to see a great band and having no idea what's about to hit you in the face.

Have fun at the shows folks. The Massey run is coming quick ; )
Gusthepolarbear12
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Gusthepolarbear12 »

I am sort of jealous of tonights set list... but If i were to choose one from my show last night or tonights... itd be a toughy.

I forgot to mention- last night i sat like 10 ft awa form Jim ballsillie in his box. anyone in row CC, i was with my two buddies in the far left facing the stage. Anyone near me?

Cant wait for tomorrow night!
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Who is standing to the right of Mr. Fay? Does that guy just hide back there?

laliber wrote:Love Is A First posted by kasha1211
Monday April 27/09 Center In The Square Kitchener Waterloo

"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Mr. Dave
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Mr. Dave »

There's been someone there for the last few tours in charge of Johnny's Kit.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
TG
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by TG »

WOW! Is Morning Moon such a great song live, what a great great song.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

No Blow or NOIS or Little Bones
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
kieffer
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by kieffer »

I remember how surprising this show was. First official one of the tour.

Opening with the depression suite
Tiger the lion
Acoustic set including the bear
Inevitability of death
As makeshift we are
On the verge
Just to name a few.

This was a great show in a great venue