04/27/09: Centre In The Square: Kitchener, ON

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
GBV
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Re: 04/27/09: Centre In The Square: Kitchener, ON

Post by GBV »

boot wrote:Show was great... Nice to get a chance to see the new songs live, I'm not a huge fan of the new album, but always want to give them a chance live before I make a full judgement. Depression suite is a decent opener IMO, though the last 3rd does kind of drag. Jumping into one of the standards (M@W, Grace, or In View like tonight) is a decent way to start.

I like coffee girl, and appreciated how it came off live. I'll always love Twist, and Morning Moon came off well... (my wife said.. "which album is this off of? I know this song|). Honey Please was better than expected, little more edge... though I wonder how long Gord will be able to hit the high notes. Meridian was definitely not sped up - I was waiting for it - but not really slowed down & funky like some of the other posters were looking for. Love is a Curse came off MUCH better live IMO. I was impressed w/ it. The "rant" in the middle felt incredible forced - Gord trying to hit his mark rather than the off the cuff that he normally does. He did a little rant after the second chorus, and I realized that was the first rant in the show thus far.

As mentioned before, Gord was much more talkative, introducing songs, and albums they were from. w/ little stories...

Acoustic set... The Bear... Gord asked us all if we called it "the ner"... you know, "I live in the 'ner" (kitcheNER). He bombed with that one... I don't know if anyone got that. (call it the 'loo). introduced the Bear, acknowledging that it was just the second time they were playing it. I thought it came off real well, the crowd was real quiet, sitting & watching, but it seemed like everybody was really into it. Wheat Kings next, then Fireworks. If I have to listen to fireworks again, I'll take it acoustic, but I'm hoping to see this mixed up next few shows.

Poets had our first extended jam & a little rant (couldn't make it out). Makeshift was great, then IOD & YorS next... both were fantastic. Don't think I've seen YorS since the last Evening w/ tour. I love putting down, so I'll take that song. Struggle was meh. Gord introduced it w/ some words about the aboriginals & Stephen Harper. Song is a little too theatric for me. Call it this album's World Container.

Locked as a closer. Great. Loved it. (of course). Gord got into a little tussle w/ the mic cord, ended up spending much of the song swirling it around like a rhythmic dancer in the olympics... even tried jumping in the middle of it. caught the mic stand w/ it a few times until the entire mic cord was just one huge knot around the mic stand. Gord picked it up & started doing military presses & bicep curls w/ the mic stand w/ the cord & microphone wrapped around it, singing "let me out" when he curled it up to his mouth. Good times.

The exact feeling... not feeling it.... on the verge... liked the little "the time to go is kinda now" left for the last song in the show. Lots of energy, but kinda sloppy, I thought. Unusual.

Great show though... i wasn't sure how I was going to like the new stuff, that it might drag the show down... but really looking forward to the next show.
i thought the "ner" part was hilarious. as did my company.
good show but not the best of them i've seen or anything.
i thought the crowd was pretty lame/tame. it seems they only cared for the hits.
even stuff off "big" albums like on the verge didn't get much love.
borgs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by borgs »

great show.

unreal second set.

love is a first was amazing... don't know if the impact of it will translate to a bootleg because the crazy lights added a lot to the song.

iod, yawning, twist, locked, verge!!!

the fellas who made the trip to europe last fall might be interested to know that gord d. said flamenco was written strolling through vondelpark... i have fond memories of drinking, smoking and jowling at the stay okay in/near vondelpark... there should be an emoticon for jowling.

great show, considering making the trip from london to the 'ner for the wednesday show aswell.
cbeach401
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by cbeach401 »

So much I could say slash others have written, but highlights for me:
1. New songs did well, particularly Love Is A First and Honey Please I thought.
2. Slow Hundredth Meridian felt weird at first, but sounded amazing.
3. Makeshift is one of my favourite Hip songs, so that was awesome. Plus Gord saying the title while doing a Yoda impression was unexpected.

I could go on, but overall I loved the show, amazing set list and it was cool to meet some of the guys from Hip Tracker. Thanks for putting up with me tonight, guys. :wink:

Can't wait for the show in London in July!
Mr. Dave
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Mr. Dave »

chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

borgs wrote:great show.

unreal second set.

love is a first was amazing... don't know if the impact of it will translate to a bootleg because the crazy lights added a lot to the song.

the fellas who made the trip to europe last fall might be interested to know that gord d. said flamenco was written strolling through vondelpark... i have fond memories of drinking, smoking and jowling at the stay okay in/near vondelpark... there should be an emoticon for jowling.

great show, considering making the trip from london to the 'ner for the wednesday show aswell.
Cool. And for jowling... perhaps we can use Matt's photo, because your pic is weak.
matt.jpg
borgs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

chris wrote:

unreal second set.

Cool. And for jowling... perhaps we can use Matt's photo, because your pic is weak.
matt.jpg
borgs.jpg
Hahaha! Good times!
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

trevor wrote:
chris wrote:

unreal second set.

matt.jpg
borgs.jpg
Hahaha! Good times!
Yeah, but it gave me a headache. Or maybe that was all the beer.
prairieman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by prairieman »

Thanks for posting the list. Once this multi-night run has finished I think we'll have a much better idea of what to expect. Then again the 4 shows I'm going to aren't til September so much could change between now and then. It's going to be a long 4 months watching these lits roll in.

I was hoping maybe Sask would get an outdoor this summer so I could head east and participate in a litlle hip-hold-me-over.

Thanks again for the list and the reviews one and all.
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

BIGVDOGG wrote:Live Setlist will be posted here shortly after the show begins at 8:00pm.Enjoy!
thanks for posting....that was fun reading along :thumb:
sadohert
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by sadohert »

Wow... last nights show was awesome. So many great little moments you get to pick up on when you see them in such an intimate setting. Gords microphone antics were INSANE. I can't figure out how to describe them so I won't even bother trying . And was there some sort of deliberate goofing off going on between him and Billy Ray? There was one point where Billy Ray came running out onto the stage to fix something near a monitor at center stage, and gord kinda pounced towards him almost as if thats how they goofed off when they were rehearsing for the tour. Billy Ray went running off stage and out flew a fresh white towel for Gordie to try to catch. Hard to explain, but I thought it was pretty cool. I love the little kick-up move he does to get the fresh towel up into his hand.

To me the mix of tracks we got repeats all the same positives with the mix we got on Friday. A couple old favourites, some rare gems, and brand new material. Such a perfect blend. You could tell the crowd in general was more enthusiastic about the older well known stuff, but whatever... I don't think anyone should be surprised by that.

I just can't get over how amazing the catalog of hip songs is. They can draw just about any song from any album and put together an incredible set list.

Can't wait for Wednesday. Hopefully the Centre in the Square bar staff gets beefed up a bit. You've gotta wonder if they deliberately restrict the flow of booze knowing the kind of crowd they have on their hands ;)
Zronikw
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Zronikw »

My bro wrote this review. I liked reading it so much I posted.

REVIEW: The Tragically Hip, Centre in the Square, April 27

Turning the Hip on its head

By John Paul Zronik

Most veterans of Tragically Hip concerts have come to expect the expected. The same songs performed the same way night after night, with little variation in set lists and few, if any, surprises.
Well, surprise, Hip fans. This is not the band you remember.
Can you say: "Acoustic Fireworks?"
During a two-set show at Kitchener's Centre in the Square Monday night, the Hip delivered one surprise after another, performing what this reviewer considers one of the bands finest-ever concerts, including a sit-down acoustic performance of three songs to open the second half of the night.
Opening the show with Depression Suite - the longest track on We Are the Same, the band's latest record - was a brilliant choice, going places the Hip has never gone before. I can not say enough about the live performance of this song. Wonderful, emotional, passionate and a rocking finish.
All of the band's new songs translated brilliantly into the live setting, including Coffee Girl, Morning Moon, Honey Please, Love is a Curse (first set), The Last Recluse, Now The Struggle Has A Name (second set) and the encore The Exact Feeling.
But let us get to the heart of the matter. When it comes to oldies and goodies, the Hip delivered. And not in the form of Hip standards like New Orleans is Sinking, Little Bones or Fifty Mission Cap.
The band reached into the vault, performing the rarely played Yawning or Snarling (good enough to make you want to cry), The Bear (a pleasant acoustic surprise) and On the Verge (need I say more), as well as Hip hits In View, Twist My Arm, Escape is at Hand, Wheat Kings, 100th Meridian, Poets, Flamenco, Putting Down and Locked in the Trunk of a Car.
For the casual Hip fan, the set list may have seemed short on familiarity, but for the initiated, it was heavenly. I overheard one guy standing at the urinal after the show saying "They didn't play enough old stuff." I disagree with that assessment: They did play enough old stuff, just not the mundane "old stuff" people remember.
And seeing the Hip in an acoustic setting gave me a new appreciation for the band. The intimate sit down performance of The Bear, Wheat Kings and Fireworks was a stroke of brilliance. The sound was pure.
So, I loved the show. My only question: What took these guys so long to figure out what they are capable of? Mixing the set and throwing in the unexpected made this a Hip show to remember, one I will never forget. And the band was HOT!
Who knows where the tour and song selection will go from here, but if the Hip keeps delivering surprises like it did Monday night, concert goers are in for a real treat. Really.
My only regret is that I planned to attend only one show this tour, believing these guys would deliver more of the same, as they have year after year.
So a question for you, dear readers: Who has my extra?

Set 1:
Depression Suite
In View
Coffee Girl
Twist My Arm
Morning Moon
IAGLIYDW
Escape Is At Hand
Honey Please
Tiger The Lion
100th Meridian
Love Is A Curse
Set 2:
The Bear
Wheat Kings
Fireworks
The Last Recluse
Poets
As Makeshift As We Are
Inevitabliity Of Death
Yawning or Snarling
Flamenco
Putting Down
Now The Struggle Has A Name
Locked In The Trunk Of A Car
*ENCORE*
The Exact Feeling
OnThe Verge
emperpenguin
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by emperpenguin »

BIGVDOGG wrote:Live Setlist will be posted here shortly after the show begins at 8:00pm.Enjoy!

Depression Suite
In View
Coffee Girl
Twist My Arm
Morning Moon
IAGLIYDW
Escape Is At Hand..
Honey Please
Tiger The Lion
100th Meridian
Love Is A Curse
*intermission*
The Bear-A
Wheat Kings-A
Fireworks-A
The Last Recluse
Poets
As Makeshift As We Are
Inevitabliity Of Death
Yawning or Snarling
Flamenco
Putting Down
*ENCORE*
The Exact Feeling
OnThe Verge
Call me dense, but wtf is that in the setlist. I am no good with the abbreviations(I still have to think when I see ABAC)
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

emperpenguin wrote:

Depression Suite
In View
Coffee Girl
Twist My Arm
Morning Moon
IAGLIYDW
Escape Is At Hand..
Honey Please
Tiger The Lion
100th Meridian
Love Is A Curse
*intermission*
The Bear-A
Wheat Kings-A
Fireworks-A
The Last Recluse
Poets
As Makeshift As We Are
Inevitabliity Of Death
Yawning or Snarling
Flamenco
Putting Down
*ENCORE*
The Exact Feeling
OnThe Verge
Call me dense, but wtf is that in the setlist. I am no good with the abbreviations(I still have to think when I see ABAC)
It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
Gusthepolarbear12
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Gusthepolarbear12 »

hahah it took my a while and i was even at the show! Its a good life if you dont weaken.

I loved the show, the 2nd set was a little boring for my friends who were new to the hip but they loved it either way

Love is a first was def a highlight, such an amazing song live
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana