07/25/09: Highland Bowl: Rochester, NY

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
Buffalo37
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Re: 07/25/09: Highland Bowl: Rochester, NY

Post by Buffalo37 »

LOVE the Pic ... truly captures the moment...even though I wasn't there, now I wish I was
Xanagirl
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Xanagirl »

Hello,

This is my first post here. I'm not sure how to post a pic, but I'll give it a try.

As people have mentioned, the rain was intense. (New Orleans wasn't the only thing sinking.) But Gord stepped right out on a speaker cabinet and got drenched just like the rest of us.

We got there early since we took our 9-year-old son Alex with us for his first Hip concert, and we wanted to get as close as possible to the stage so he could see. (General admission/standing room only isn't so great when you're a short little kid.) We were among the first to get in, and we got up right against the rail, center stage. Alex took this photo:

My son got the second hanky of the night and Gord gave him his microphone at the end of the encore. Woo hoo! That was a very sweet thing to do, and Alex was beyond thrilled. Despite the weather, it was a fun show and the crowd was really into it.

Edit to add a pic of my son I took this morning. He's holding the microphone and the hanky, and behind him is a Hip poster/collage that I bought shortly after the Artpark show.
Last edited by Xanagirl on Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pudge7681
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Pudge7681 »

I was to the right of the 9yo that was among the best concert-goers I've ever seen. I let him know that he definitely rocked! I have to say that the show was a great show. The set list may have been a bit generic but I did think that it was an appropriate set-list. The weather definitely added a new layer of fun to the show. I was standing in water up to my ankles as the skies let loose. One thing I can say is that the people behind me (pit area right center stage) were among the worst behaved crowds I've seen at a hip show. One guy sandwiching my brothers girlfriend between the railing and his crotch as he just needed his hankies. He was the same dumbass that was chanting that he wanted New Orleans is Sinking...which normally would be cool except he was doing this during the second set after they played it during the first set. And what was with all the throwing shit on stage. At one point some dumb girls behind me threw a frog on stage. SERIOUSLY?!?! All in all a very enjoyable show and was a great experience for my brothers first hip show. See you all in Syracuse on November 7th!
Xanagirl
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Xanagirl »

Is THAT what that was? A frog? Idiots. Someone threw a cowboy hat on stage and it bounced off of Gord's head as he was singing, and he looked a bit (understandably) annoyed. It's one thing for the band to throw things (hankies, guitar pics) into the crowd, but it is not cool at all to throw things up on stage. Exception: I did like the large Canadian flag that was tossed up there early in the show, and Billy Ray folded it neatly and stuck it in the guitar cabinet.

As with the last Hip concert I was at (Artpark), there were a number of drunken idiots, and several were evicted. But I will have to say that overall people were very friendly and they were extremely respectful of my son. Several times, people tried to crush forward towards the rail, but people around us would say "no, there's a little kid up there", and then they'd keep their distance.

I thought the set list was what I expected. When they play 3 or 4 dates in a row at the same venue, you'll get more deep cuts. But when they play a "one-off" show, you'll get more of a greatest hits set list.

The rain was something else, but it could have been worse. We never did get the predicted severe T-storm, and Darien Center 30 minutes away had a tornado. Despite the monsoon, it was fun show!
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

Set List?
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
BuffaloCody
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by BuffaloCody »

amazing show! one of the best, if not the best hip show i've seen of my 8. the rain was INSANITY. havent seen rain like that in forever let alone stood in it @ a hip show. (stole that quote from my buddy deeds...) i hope they come back, a great venue!
tkkarpen
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by tkkarpen »

To the best of my memory in no order, opener, closer, and encore are correct... might be missing some...

Depression Suite
In View
Springtime
NOIS
Good Life
Thompson Girl (A)
Coffee Girl
Morning Moon
Wheat Kings (A)
100th Meriden
Gift Shop
The Last Recluse
Frozen In My Tracks
Love Is A First
Music @ Work
Bob C
Twist My Arm
Gus
ABAC
Courage
Nautical Disaster
Blow At High Dough (closer)
Encore:
Struggle
Little Bones
emperpenguin
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by emperpenguin »

Show and venue were great. What a :censored unique show with the rain pouring........crazy. I was there with my wife, my friends sister and her three friends, everyone was completly soaked but had a great time. Worst setlist of the four shows this tour(Philly, & 2 artpark), but it seemed appropriate in the pouring rain. My phone was fried, it has a blank screen and will not do anything....oh well another great time. Thank you HIP.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Setlist (based on twitter.com/patrickbales)

First Set
01: The Depression Suite
02: In View
03: Giftshop
04: Ahead By A Century
05: Twist My Arm
06: Morning Moon
07: New Orleans Is Sinking
08: It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
09: The Exact Feeling
10: At The 100th Meridian
11: Love Is A First

Second Set
01: Thompson Girl (Acoustic)
02: Coffee Girl (Acoustic)
03: Wheat Kings (Acoustic)
04: Spring Time In Vienna (?)
05: Bobcaygeon
06: Nautical Disaster
07: Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
08: The Last Recluse
09: Courage
10: Frozen In My Tracks
11: My Music At Work
12: Blow At High Dough

Encore
13: Now The Struggle Has A Name
14: Little Bones
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

Sweet, I haven't heard Gus since the IBE tour. (Jealous).
hipfanisborn
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by hipfanisborn »

Absolutely Amazing! This was my first HIP show and there aren't many concerts that I would stand through that storm and tornado watches for, but The Hip was more than worth it!
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

emperpenguin wrote: My phone was fried, it has a blank screen and will not do anything....oh well another great time. Thank you HIP.
Damn - my phone too.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
inaworldcontainer
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by inaworldcontainer »

Xanagirl wrote:Hello,

This is my first post here. I'm not sure how to post a pic, but I'll give it a try.

As people have mentioned, the rain was intense. (New Orleans wasn't the only thing sinking.) But Gord stepped right out on a speaker cabinet and got drenched just like the rest of us.

We got there early since we took our 9-year-old son Alex with us for his first Hip concert, and we wanted to get as close as possible to the stage so he could see. (General admission/standing room only isn't so great when you're a short little kid.) We were among the first to get in, and we got up right against the rail, center stage. Alex took this photo:

My son got the second hanky of the night and Gord gave him his microphone at the end of the encore. Woo hoo! That was a very sweet thing to do, and Alex was beyond thrilled. Despite the weather, it was a fun show and the crowd was really into it.

Edit to add a pic of my son I took this morning. He's holding the microphone and the hanky, and behind him is a Hip poster/collage that I bought shortly after the Artpark show.

Great stuff. M , your son and you must of had an awesome time. :wink: :thumb:

If he ever wants to sell that MIC , please let me know :lol: :welcome

HIP / RUSH / REGAN :wink:
MalcolmKellyRaps
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by MalcolmKellyRaps »

I guess I am alone on an island here, but after 20-30 Hip shows the greatest hits set just doesn't do it for me in the pouring rain. I am a little let down with the evening with shows being so short and the set-lists have seemed to get more generic and less imaginative as the tour has gone on. I will still probably go to Syracuse because even the worst hip shows are still great. Thats the whole thing, I am only being relative to other hip shows. This one, in my opinion, was average at best compared to many other hip shows I have been to. It was still way better than any show most bands could put on.
rustyjones
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by rustyjones »

i thought the show was epic. It wasn't the setlist , it was the expierence. The Rain....the venue.... the people...Everything just came together with gordie in rare form. Been to at least 50-60 hip shows since the early 90's and can say that this ranked up there in my top 5 ever.....