05/19/09: Massey Hall: Toronto, Ontario

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
Jack Straw
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Re: 05/19/09: Massey Hall: Toronto, Ontario

Post by Jack Straw »

Me too. I almost went down. Such a busy weekend and the Red Wings on TV tonight.

Singles could have been had for $20 outside about 30 minutes into the show.

Aw well. No regrets, eh?

LET'S GO RED WINGS!!!
briansmccabe
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by briansmccabe »

holly effin' crap.......can someone rush (good grief, please pardon that awful and totally unintentional pun) an mp3 of little bones to the hipbase homepage, kinda like they did with greasy jungle acoustic a few weeks ago? I have GOT to hear that.

Such a shame these two great Canadian bands never did a batch of dates together. My two alltime faves. WOW!
inchanhourtragicallyhip
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by inchanhourtragicallyhip »

Wow !! Great fuckin setlist...

This is just beautiful:

The Rules - Acoustic
Titanic Terrerium - Acoustic
ABAC - Acoustic
Love Is A Curse
Nautical Disaster
Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin Man
Opiated

Last Recluse and Little Bones with Alex Lifeson

What a kick in the pills...

:music
"When I'm wild and lonely, in a winter mind and I cannot become -
Wild and loyal in a winter mind - what I want to become"
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

briansmccabe wrote:holly effin' crap.......can someone rush (good grief, please pardon that awful and totally unintentional pun) an mp3 of little bones to the hipbase homepage, kinda like they did with greasy jungle acoustic a few weeks ago? I have GOT to hear that.

Such a shame these two great Canadian bands never did a batch of dates together. My two alltime faves. WOW!
Didn't the Hip open for Rush a few times back in the mid-90s?
john cage
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by john cage »

direwolf74 wrote:Didn't the Hip open for Rush a few times back in the mid-90s?
Once - Roll The Bones Tour, MLG, 12/16/91

I 2nd, 3rd, whatever the plea - someone PLEASE put up a link to Recluse and Bones and also put them on youtube!!
briansmccabe
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by briansmccabe »

yeah, that date (12.16.91) is the ONLY night they ever shared the bill. Gord D said in an interview in 1997 that his only regret was not touring the states with Rush earlier in the hip's career. Rush hasn't toured with a supporting act in 15 years now and likely never will again, so that ship has sailed.

To tell you the truth, if The Hip stopped touring with opening acts altogether, I'd be just fine with it, because these two-set shows are just so damn kick ass. But I think they're a lot less likely to go that route on a permanent basis.
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

Once - Roll The Bones Tour, MLG, 12/16/91

That was my first Hip show.

Tonight's show hit it's stride with the acoustic set and then of course opiated..... If you could have seen the smirk on Paul's face while he wound down little bones with Alex at his side....

The videos will appear I am sure and as for streaming.... sorry to the 14 or so people online waiting as I had some login problems and miss The Rules and Terrium

I will post a few photos of Alex and the band tomorrow.
Pesmo
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Pesmo »

GCPC107 wrote:Totally random comment that has nothing to do with tonight's show. Got a TM from my son who is completing an third year exchange from Queen's in Denmark. He was touring in Prague today and reports that as he was walking past an outdoor bar the guitar player was playing Wheat Kings. He did not expect to hear the Hip at a random bar in Europe.

Totally agree that this is a strong setlist to finish out Toronto.
Is your son's name by chance Matt and is he in Commerce? Just curious.
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

Wow. That was the best closing I've ever seen.

Terrarium gave me the chills. Gord's voice was so on for that one.

And Opiated? Holy crap. :what I've been waiting to hear that one forever.

I'm loving this tour. I love the acoustic set, and I love not knowing if they're going to throw a gem into the mix or not.

Some good times and memories at the Grand 'Old Lady of Shuter Street for sure! :thumb:
sherpa
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sherpa »

The Grand old lady. 60 feet to Shuter Street. We have a new national anthem. Who Are You? Music Lovers Thank You. It Doesn't make us a great band but it does make you a great audience.
sdm984
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by sdm984 »

People always ask me why go see the same band 42 times. Easy answer. May 19, 2009. Great band, great venue, great setlist, little bones with alex lifeson. I still have a huge smile on my face. The hip should take up residence every year at massey hall for a week just like gordon lightfoot does.
HIPLVR
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by HIPLVR »

sdm984 wrote:People always ask me why go see the same band 42 times. Easy answer. May 19, 2009. Great band, great venue, great setlist, little bones with alex lifeson. I still have a huge smile on my face. The hip should take up residence every year at massey hall for a week just like gordon lightfoot does.
Amen. Although I wasn't here last night, I agree 100%. People laugh when you tell them 40+ shows. They just don't understand.
neilf
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by neilf »

I was prepared to go down to Massey Hall and bargain down a scalper as low as I could 30 minutes into the set, just to see what surprises the last night in Toronto would hold. Then at 5pm, I get a call at work from a friend who was given two free tickets to the show. I must have a horseshoe up my arse.

Boy, am I glad I didn't miss this one. Having seen the Danforth Music Hall show and Saturday night's gig at Massey, I've seen quite a few repeat tunes (8 songs in all three shows, 16 songs in two of the three shows). But I can also make a near-full setlist of the 19 songs I was lucky enough to hear once, and several of those gems came last night - Lake Fever, Queen of the Furrows, Save the Planet, Nautical Disaster...

I've never really liked The Rules, but hearing the boys do it acoustic in front of a Massey Hall audience made it pretty special. And Opiated... man, I'm not sure I've heard that one played live in any of the 25+ Hip shows I'd seen before this year. Amazing. I thought the roof was going to cave in during Little Bones; I don't think it could be played louder or more intense than it was last night, with Alex Lifeson adding another layer of guitar.

One thing, though - is it just me, or was the whole first set a bit flat? I found the sound a little muddied, the band a bit more laid back than normal, and the crowd was dead. Fortunately, everything came together for a killer second set and an even more amazing encore. All in all, a great night.
HIPLVR
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by HIPLVR »

Shocked to hear the comments of the 1st set.

Yer Not The Ocean
Coffee Girl
Lake Fever
LEOTR
Grace Too
Queen Of The Furrows
Save The Planet
New Orleans Is Sinking
Country Day

That is freakin awesome. I'd have had some jackass sliding my seat into the back of my legs again to try to get me to sit down I'm sure - but ya, not sure what the crowd was expecting.

I guess Music and Poets aren't in there so they didn't like it? :P

5 of those tunes are in my top 10 for sure. Nuts man.
GCPC107
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by GCPC107 »

Pesmo:

Commerce yes. Matt no, but they have travelled together.

GCPC107