09/30/09: Hamilton Place: Hamilton, Ontario

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
hurls15
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Re: 09/30/09: Hamilton Place: Hamilton, Ontario

Post by hurls15 »

I went for years without ever posting on this Board or others, and finally broke the long string last week in the hopes that someone was willing to trade a prime seat to this show for my front row ticket to Saturday's show that I was (sadly!) unable to attend. A hipbase member (O.N.) stepped up (thanks man) and worked out a trade that left me with a BB seat in front of Baker and Sinclair (which was also effectively front row due to the configuration of the Hamilton Place Row AA and BB seating).

I wasn't anticipating posting about the show, but I had the extreme good fortune of having Gord stop in front of me, hand me a pick, and have me strum the outro to Bobcaygeon. Unreal. Surreal. Pick your adjective. There were many around snapping pics and recording video (including a number from this Board). I would be eternally grateful to any of you have a pic/or vid of that scene and would be willing to fire them my way ([email protected]). I would say send me a p.m., but I have learned that I need 10 posts before I can respond to them! Thanks.

Another great show from the band last night. Like the four other shows I have seen on this tour (Concert Hall, Massey x2, Kitchener), the band was very tight and in great spirits (including Robbie firing picks at Downie and Paul throughout the show). The sound was good (not as good as Massey of course, but still good). Similar to a post on the Ottawa shows, I found the sound mix a little off for the first two songs- New O and Dep. Suite. Highlights included a wicked version of So Hard Done By, and a rocking Springtime.

Oh, and another "minor" celebrity there last night (sidestage) was Jim Balsille...
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

hurls15 wrote: I wasn't anticipating posting about the show, but I had the extreme good fortune of having Gord stop in front of me, hand me a pick, and have me strum the outro to Bobcaygeon.
Any chance this is you?

ImageImage
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
hurls15
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by hurls15 »

That would be me. Thanks!
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

Well, it didn't matter to me what they played last night, for me this one was all about the experience and the interaction.

I picked up a row BB ticket from greenscor (thanks again) and was actually sitting beside hurls15. Like he said, it was pretty much front row because there was nobody in front of us. Had the bodyguards to the right of me (thanks for the thread talking about them, otherwise I'd have no clue who they were or what they were doing).

I thought the first set was great. Gord riding on the guy's shoulders was hilarious!

Then on to the second set. During Nautical we got the "okay" to go right up to the stage. Holy cow - that was insane! This was about my 27th'ish show I think? And I still can't believe how cool it was to be there at the stage. The Dark Canuck was great - I've been wanting to hear that one for quite some time. I wanted Thompson Girl and got it in the acoustic set. Lots of interaction with Sinclair and Robby at the stage. I mouthed "thank you" to Robby at the end of the second set and he came over and tossed me his guitar pick - so thanks for that too!

Girls, Gord must be reading this board. As usual he thanked the "mighty, mighty crew" and added "most of whom are single"!

Oh, and I once said that Billy Ray is the hardest working guy in the band, but you know, Maverick, you gave him a run for his money last night. Lying on your back, moving underneath the stage?! Can't wait to see some of those pics. :thumb:

Here's a link to the pics I took: http://s627.photobucket.com/albums/tt36 ... 30%202009/

Front row Saturday. I'm actually a little nervous 'cause normally I'm a little shy and reserved and don't know what I'll do if Gord tries to get me involved! :oops: :lol:
meg0182
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by meg0182 »

Awesome pictures thompson girl!

I have vids of the little girl on the guy's shoulders and Gord and his 'horse'. I will upload them shortly.

I also have a couple vids from when Gord came into the crowd.
kdwdjd
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by kdwdjd »

Amazing show last night. Far better than any we saw at Massey Hall in the spring. Great set list of old an new and the band was as tight as I have seen them in years. We were right up front and my bride is in a few of thompson girls picks. I thought Robbie was on the money last night. The energy of the show was large, Gord wandering through the crowd a couple of times were highlights. We were standing right beside ya hurls15 and I can attest to the guitar thing. I am sure I've got some pics I will get them up by days end. I am sure the weekend will rock, but for a midweek show in a great hall this is in my top 5 since 1986!
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

meg0182 wrote:Awesome pictures thompson girl!

I have vids of the little girl on the guy's shoulders and Gord and his 'horse'. I will upload them shortly.

I also have a couple vids from when Gord came into the crowd.
I definately wanna see that picture/video of Gord's man-horse (hehe)
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

mojo_mattv wrote:
I definately wanna see that picture/video of Gord's man-horse (hehe)

And on a side note - while on Flickr I ran across photos from The.Rohit - damn that brings back memories.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rohit_saxe ... 338115211/
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
farmerdan
Completist
Completist

Post by farmerdan »

Wow, that was probably my favourite hip shows out of the 30+ I've been to... never been closer, and got both setlists..... needless to say I am one happy camper!!!
BIGVDOGG wrote:p.s- i have ridiculous vid of the entire show.
here's to hoping that it finds its way onto the tracker at some point!!! :thumb:
MAverick
Completist
Completist

Post by MAverick »

chives wrote:
Not to start the rumour mill again (ok, maybe I am) but I noticed a lot of "guests" along the left side wall, especially near the end of the show - (those with passes and all). One guy had a "Avion Films" sweater on. I googled it, and found out they are a Toronto film company (although they specialize in tv commercials).
I needed a driver to get me to Hamilton as my wife was using the car. One car family. So I brought my friend.
chives
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by chives »

MAverick wrote:
chives wrote:
Not to start the rumour mill again (ok, maybe I am) but I noticed a lot of "guests" along the left side wall, especially near the end of the show - (those with passes and all). One guy had a "Avion Films" sweater on. I googled it, and found out they are a Toronto film company (although they specialize in tv commercials).
I needed a driver to get me to Hamilton as my wife was using the car. One car family. So I brought my friend.
Doesn't kill the rumour really now does it?

Ok, maybe it does.

Thanks MAv. Was that you with the hat on snapping shots? I should have said hi, maybe Friday.
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

All right - let's see what we can do here.

We've developed a new rule following last night: if you're at a licensed establishment with an acoustic guitar player when you're having pre-show beverages, the worse the acoustic fellow is, the better the show will be. The experience in Boston back in May got me thinking about it and last night cemented it. Shane, from Windsor, was providing entertainment at the Honest Lawyer before hand with his unique selection of campfire/bar rock standards spanning the past four decades. Bonus points for "I'm On Fire" - you lost me with "I'm a Believer." He played New O and Wheat Kings though for the faithful in his second set.

Highlight though was the drunk from the bar who called out the request for "Takin' Care of Business" and followed it up immediately with "Get to the part about working overtime!" If you are a Hipbaser sir, I want to shake your hand.

First time at Hamilton Place last night. Last show in that part of the complex I was at was a Jimmy Eat World gig in 2002, so it had been a while. As soon as I walked in, memories of the Thunder Bay Community Auditorium or any other local arts theatre built between 1975 and 1990 in Ontario flooded the mind. Those who've been to the TBCA know its acoustics are nearly unparalleled in the province, if not the country. Bands know it and frequently shout it from the stage; outside of the Persians, the cheap beer and the Black Pirates Pub, it's really the only thing to really enjoy in Thunder Bay these days.

So once I realized what kind of a venue I was getting myself into, I started getting excited. Then I saw the setlists that had returned for the multi-night stands throughout the past month. That got me going a little more. Then I realized there would be no better way to spend my birthday than to see my favourite band (and e-bay then was once again my friend). And all of a sudden I'm there, in my seat, 18 rows up, dead centre stage. You knew it the minute the band hit the stage, this would be a night. Full of smiles, ready to go, they were on fire. The tapes of this will show multiple teases before songs, of different covers, bass lines, etc. Barely enough to be recognizable, but enough to add that little extra flair to songs we've heard over and over again.

A lot of people (myself included) have talked about the horse riding, the crowd interaction, etc. There's not much more to add, except for how much it says for the evolution of the band. Never have I Gord as animated and mobile as he was last night. His crowd interaction is so phenomenally different than it was when I first started seeing this band in concert 10 years ago. The wall that separates the fans from the stage has been completely destroyed and their a better live band for it.

The one thing Downie's entry to the crowd does is allow the remaining band members play out the songs in new and exciting ways while he's busy with the fans. The three significant jams of last night, during Meridian, Music and Blow were incredible. It's amazing how this band gets tighter and tighter with every gig played. I've seen them four times this year and every time, musically, it's gotten better.

Which got me thinking as we walked out; this was it. This was by far the best Tragically Hip concert I have ever been to. From the way the set flowed, to the songs played, to the way they were played. Add into the fact that the city was told in no uncertain terms it won't be getting an NHL damn near ever yesterday and you had the ingredients for that "magical moment" to happen which would make any show great. In fact, this might be the best concert going experience I've ever enjoyed. What a night, what a show, what a crowd, right?

Absolutely right.

Enjoy the rest of the tour folks. I think I'm just about done for this year, knowing I can't top what I was a part of yesterday.

Cheers,

Pat
barny0055
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by barny0055 »

Well here is some more photos from the show last night......

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/barny0055/
MAverick
Completist
Completist

Post by MAverick »

hurls15 wrote:That would be me. Thanks!