09/30/09: Hamilton Place: Hamilton, Ontario

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Re: 09/30/09: Hamilton Place: Hamilton, Ontario

Post by BIGVDOGG »

Thx!
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

rocketsan22 wrote:
Celebrities...Practically Hip...did you type those three words with a straight face?
Barely. I tell you, I've never seen two more miserable looking dudes at a show than those two guys. It was the singer and guitarist. Lighten up fellows, aren't they your favourite band or something? I've brought non-fan girlfriends who looked like they were having a better time.

I was going to go up to them pre-show and pull my standard "you guys are the best *insert style of music here* band" routine I do when I see other groups I can't stand, but better judgement got in the way. I mean, what if the recognized me from Queen's Fest - then there would have been trouble.
meg0182
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by meg0182 »

Just waiting for my vids to upload right now...

Anyone else have any more 'Gord and crowd' pics or video? Particularly during music at work?
andy42g
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by andy42g »

Great pics. Girl on shoulders shot is just a joy. Has made my day :thumb: :D
BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

meg0182 wrote:Just waiting for my vids to upload right now...

Anyone else have any more 'Gord and crowd' pics or video? Particularly during music at work?
Awesome! Cant wait to see Bobcaygeon with the girl on my shoulders.There were at least 3 of us that taped the show.Im sure it will be shared at some point.
rocketsan22
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by rocketsan22 »

hotmetal401 wrote:
rocketsan22 wrote:
Celebrities...Practically Hip...did you type those three words with a straight face?
Barely. I tell you, I've never seen two more miserable looking dudes at a show than those two guys. It was the singer and guitarist. Lighten up fellows, aren't they your favourite band or something?
Cut them some slack, they were thinking "that should be us up there...let's go home and practice the 'Killerwhaletank' rant again..."
duoglide
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by duoglide »

Kind of sad I missed them in my hometown. But a more intimiate venue (and only $25 a ticket) in Atlanta will make up for it. It'll be interesting to see them stateside. Kind of a fish out of water in the crowd. Actually, come to think of it, I'm sure there will be other Canucks from around the area making the show. Gonna go real early to get front row as it's general admission.
meg0182
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by meg0182 »

here are the links for the 2 of my videos so far. (I still have more to upload)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfjNIG0Ldw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYVHUBo-n_o

Duoglide..I am jealous, thats awesome!
BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

http://www.thespec.com/article/645085

“It’s just another Hip show, so what’s the big deal?”

Watch video from Wednesday night concert at Hamilton Place

I had been asked that question too many times leading up to this week’s sold-out three-night stand at Hamilton Place.

It’s a question that leads me to the following conclusions:

a) Too many people take the Tragically Hip for granted. This is a band that has filled every hockey barn between Victoria and Halifax several times over. We tend to regard the Hip as five hosers from Kingston, instead of Hall of Fame artists, responsible for a remarkable, and truly Canadian, catalogue that stands up to all others.

b) People fail to appreciate the difference between seeing a band as good as the Hip in an accoustically charmed soft-seater like Hamilton Place and a hockey rink like Copps Coliseum. The band can still fill arenas (they drew 12,000 to Copps just two years ago). The Hip are playing the posh places out of respect for the music and their fans. It surely makes a difference.

c) Not enough people have heard the Hip’s latest CD, We Are The Same. It’s not the sort of album that lends itself to mass radio play. As a matter of fact, many of the songs are closer to alt-country than alt-rock. Still, it ranks with the Hip’s best. It’s a softer, more sophisticated sound that shows Hip entering middle age gracefully. They played about half the songs from We are the Same last night. You’ll be sure to hear the rest when the band completes its triple bill tomorrow and Saturday.

d) Gord Downie is one of the best frontmen in the business.

As if to prove they’re still an outlaw six-shooter band, the Hip opened the show last night at Hamilton Place with a scorching rendition of New Orleans is Sinking. Indeed, there was little soft about the opening set.

The band kept the pace up, transforming

Depression Suite — the lengthy centrepiece of the new album — into an anthemia bit of rock ’n’ roll as Downie introduced his latest stage prop to the audience, a brow-mopping handkerchief that played puppet, whip and love child to his tangled dance routines.

During Love is a First — the first set closer — Downie threw himself off the stage onto the shoulders of a beefy bouncer, riding him across the space between the front row and the stage like a camel, all the while managing to belt out it’s “love is a curse, love is a first” lyrics.

It was at this point when the person standing (no one in the orchestra section of Hamilton Place was sitting at any time during the show), leaned to me and said “that’s the difference between, the Hip and everyone else. Bono would never have done that.”

I nodded in agreement.

And, yes, Hamilton Place was the ideal venue for both the new songs and the old. The opening was a little bit frantic, soundwise, but everything seemed to click for the fourth number, Ahead by a Century. It was magnificent.

It was about that time that Downie addressed the crowd after hearing the bad news that an NHL team would not be coming to Hamilton.

“It can’t be that bad,” he said in a strangely soothing manner. “We played Canmore, Alberta, the night Wayne Gretzky was traded to L.A. ... Just remember the NHL is a tool of oppression meant to keep us down.”

The second set — yes, they allowed the crowd a 20-minute beer break — opened with a couple of accoustic numbers.

“Life’s too short for bad coffee,” Downie screamed as he entered into the shalmtzy Coffee Girl.

Bobcaygeon never sounded better. There was a touching moment during the ode to cottage country when Downie offered one of his many hankies to a young girl proffered to him from the shoulders of her dad. She shied away. Downier draped her shoulder in the sweat-stained prop and then foraged into the front aisle with his acoustic guitar.

Yeah, it was just another Hip concert. No big deal. But if you made the mistake of not buying a ticket to the shows tomorrow and Friday, you might want to consider a visit to your friendly ... ahem ... ticket reseller.

[email protected]
905-526-3331
ashtrayrock
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ashtrayrock »

this turned out to be a real nice thread. thanks to all!

now, when are they gonna announce those nye shows :wink: :jump :jump

i need more hip
meg0182
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by meg0182 »

BIGVDOGG, you were the guy in the Bobcaygeon video? Whats the story?
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

meg0182 wrote:here are the links for the 2 of my videos so far. (I still have more to upload)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfjNIG0Ldw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYVHUBo-n_o

Duoglide..I am jealous, thats awesome!
Great vids! Gotta love when Gord gives his hankie to that little girl. And that might be the best version of Nautical I've ever seen.

:thumb:
meg0182
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by meg0182 »

direwolf74 wrote:
Great vids! Gotta love when Gord gives his hankie to that little girl. And that might be the best version of Nautical I've ever seen.

:thumb:
I know...it was great. The whole show was great!
:)
mastodonfarm
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mastodonfarm »

"You're my horse!" Awesome! Might be time to get my router fixed and get my ratios at the Tracker back to respectable levels so I can DL this one!
BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

meg0182 wrote:BIGVDOGG, you were the guy in the Bobcaygeon video? Whats the story?
thx for posting the vid.no story really .security asked her to go up but she was shy.i asked her if she wanted to go up on my shoulders.once up there she remained shy.Awesome moment that i will always remember.A couple more years that will be my daughter(s) :D