08/07/09: South Okanangan Events Centre: Penticton, BC

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

08/07/09: South Okanangan Events Centre: Penticton, BC

Post by sean.bonner »

Post your review.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Re: 08/07/09: South Okanangan Events Centre: Penticton, BC

Post by Tthip »

"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
restlesssoul
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by restlesssoul »

hey there music lovers,

i am looking for two tickets to penticton. I know it isnt sold out, but just seeing if anyone has some to get rid of here?
Vancouver 1997 Vancouver 1999 I Vancouver 2000 I Vancouver 2002 II Vancouver 2004 Vancouver 2006 I Vancouver 2006 III Vancouver 2006 IV Kamloops 2007 Seattle 2007 Marymoor 2007 Vancouver 2007 Seattle 2009 Vancouver 2009 I Vancouver 2009 II Vancouver 2009 II Abbotsford 2009
Burnaby 2011 Seattle 2012 Kamloops 2013 Vancouver 2014 Vancouver 2015
Geech
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Geech »

Hey restless,
are "those notches on your bedpost", if so nice cv. Sure i was at a couple of those, usually up in the interior though. I think i have VIPs for the pen show. It will be a hot one.
kelman66
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by kelman66 »

Anyone taping the show?

I'll be the crazy sweaty guy in row 2.

I wish i saw the post earlier about tickets, because i had a bunch in third row. they taken now.

some good seats still to be had from people who have some extras.
Hit the Block party outside the venue from 6-8. I bet some people will have some.
Also, the Ramada has a few to get rid of I think. $20 off i think they were. floor seats.
kelman66
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by kelman66 »

whoohoo!

really great show!

awesome old-school rockin setlist
sherpa
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sherpa »

kelman66 wrote:whoohoo!

really great show!

You forgot the part following this sentence where you list out them songs from said rockin setlist
kelman66
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by kelman66 »

sherpa wrote:
kelman66 wrote:whoohoo!

really great show!

You forgot the part following this sentence where you list out them songs from said rockin setlist
I am afraid that I didnt write the setlist down and only had time for a quick note.

But they opened with
NOIS then The Depression Suite

The acoustic set was Thompson Girl, Coffee Girl, Wheat Kings

Also played were Escape is at Hand (woot!!!), Poets, Giftshop, In View, Hundredth, Bobcaygeon, ABAC, Love is a First, Yer not the Ocean, Morning Moon, Grace, Good Life, Fully Completely, Family Band, M@W, Courage (for Hugh MacLennan),Locked in the Trunk of a Car, The Last Recluse
Encore was Frozen in my Tracks and I think Blow at High Dough was the closer. After I talk with some friends that went to the show, I will try and confirm.
If someone recorded the show, it would alleviate all confusion :)

I might be forgetting one but I think that is them. Sorry about the lack of order.

Nothing from Road Apples or IBE

great set, high energy, good crowd. awesome show
GusTheBear
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by GusTheBear »

Blow at High Dough was the closer BEFORE the encore..

i think Locked in the Trunk of a car was the closer

great show, i was skeptical of the crowd at first, but after the first few songs, the place started to get rockin'... i don't think it ever ended up selling out, but it looked pretty close to full
kelman66
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by kelman66 »

Ya i was thinking the same thing about the closer Gus.
I am gonna ask a few more people.

and no it wasnt quite a sell-out, but pretty close.
I bet if they came again, it would sell out in no time. The town is abuzz. Of course, I have been trying to tell everybody for years lol.

And I take credit for helping get the crowd going lol. I was the crazy guy in 2nd row sweating more than Gord.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

http://www.bclocalnews.com/entertainment/52997512.html

Hip appeals to all ages
Text By Kathy Michaels - Penticton Western News
Published: August 11, 2009

From the moment the Tragically Hip’s lead singer Gordon Downie took to the stage with his trademark shaky-legged jig the crowd rose to their feet and bounced.

And they didn’t stop until the last note was played.

Not uncommon per se. Concert goers want to get their money’s worth and that usually entails a good amount of cardio to go along with libations and more smoky offerings. But there’s something zombie-esque about Hip fans and it became glaringly apparent when the South Okanagan Event Centre started to pulsate with drums, guitars and Downie’s distinct warble.

From that moment on, chair dancing went from feeling silly to downright wrong — much like mouthing the lyrics to the national anthem.

Perhaps it’s because the Hip are arguably one of the most Canadian bands this country has to offer. Thanks to Canadian content rules and their ability to evoke that illusive sense of national pride, their songs are just as woven into the psyche of this nation as Tim Horton’s coffee. As my concert-going neighbour put it: “There’s never really a moment when you discover the Tragically Hip. They’re always just there, and everyone likes them.”

And the descriptor of “everyone” is about right. In front of me a couple of middle-aged women, prompted by the familiar sound of New Orleans is Sinking, got up and started fist pumping like the probably did nearly 20 years ago when songs from the Hip’s Up to Here album hit the airwaves.

Behind, a teenaged couple rocked enthusiastically in their seats and were particularly electrified by the sounds of the Fully Completely album.

And a healthy dose of 30-somethings filled the building, bobbing along and shouting the lyrics to everything and anything that the band had to offer — including songs from their lesser known new offering We Are the Same.

As for the band themselves, they didn’t disappoint.

Drummer Johnny Fay, bassist Gord Sinclair, guitarists Paul Langois and Rob Baker and Rob provided what everyone demands from the band — loud and compelling music that you can either wiggle or bounce to.

But as usual, it was Downie that kept the audience rapt.

Downie has allure that doesn’t make sense when his act is broken down into parts. He’s smallish, dresses like something between a lumberjack and a university professor — ideal considering who the music attracts — and is as bald as Telly Savalas. His spoken word asides are smart and rambly and his dance is part convulsion and part jig.

Mix all that in a dash of plain old weird, and that’s what makes Downie swoon-worthy enough to compel one woman in the audience Friday night toss her G-string at him. An act that prompted the front man to say coyly, “OK, I can do a few more.”

The band went through 20 years of songs and the the show didn’t wrap up until the fist pumping women had to leave their arms at their sides, opting instead sway back and forth.

It was a lengthy set that appeared to take its toll on Downie. Drenched in sweat, he squeezed in a wardrobe change during the band’s intermission, and he went through more face cloths than the local sauna. During a particularly long musical interlude, he went so far to take a mini-break on his microphone stand.

But once the encore was finished, Downie’s exhausting performance sated his fans, which came from far and wide

Well, until their next tour at least.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Geech
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Geech »

"Tremendous! As always" I said as I shook Bobby Bs hand at the post show social. No direct personal contacts with the band so tough to get in to the conversation. Didnt see Downie or Langlois at the post, no reason to come up I guess.

The show was tremendous, an ecclectic mix of fan faves, some of my personal bests and some delightfull surprises. The crowd really seemed to appreciate the fully completly tunes, "Wheat Kings" and the "100th Meridian" epic jam were some of the highlights.

Gord was in full form, his moves almost seizure-like, and the crowd participation..., havent seen Gordie so in to the crowd in years. Lucky front row fans helped with backup vocals, nipple twisted and played guitar, we all got to help for "Frozen in my tracks" (written to be performed live, I think). The microphone ride, no need to say more. Gord must have a wholesale deal on hankies, he must have gone through a hundred or so.

Penticton did great, not a full sell out but some great energy, "the initiation is over, your in, your in" Gord yelled, for the intro to "Family Band". People of all ages too, mostly older though like me, thirties and up.

"Escape is at hand" was my personal highlight, followed by "the Last Recluse". The closer "Locked in the trunk" was amazing, it flashed me back to my first ever show, back in '92 when they opened with it. Got tossed from the show for jumping into general admission, luckily got back in a few songs later.

My Review: The Band: 9 Gordie:9.75 Crowd: 8 The Venue: 8

PS: someone please post the correct set list.