06/04/09: Artpark: Lewiston, NY

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

06/04/09: Artpark: Lewiston, NY

Post by sean.bonner »

.weiver ruoy tsoP
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
redhill
Sherpa
Sherpa

Re: 06/04/09: Artpark: Lewiston, NY

Post by redhill »

anyone going for a beer and a samich beforehand ?
PatrickTheLion
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by PatrickTheLion »

I'm trying to figure out the same thing - I've never met any of the Hipbasers before so that would be cool.

PJ
Pudge7681
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Pudge7681 »

Won't be in town soon enough...I need to check in to the hotel in Niagara Falls first so that will be a pain but Friday...tailgate at the giant silver Dodge pickup with the hip blasting!!!
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

No setlist party? :(
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

I was hoping for one too. damn
buffalorob
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by buffalorob »

[quote="Pudge7681"...tailgate at the giant silver Dodge pickup with the hip blasting!!![/quote]

You'll be tailgating where they tell you to!
Off in the picnic area until they start using that for parking.

The police presence there is an unbelievable waste of tax money.
bstrauss24
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bstrauss24 »

If I thought about it I could remember all the songs, but not in order, so it might as well wait. they played all of WATS except Speed River and Honey, Please tonight. My highlights were Escape, Daredevil, Locked, 50MC and Blow, where Gord let most of the front row have a turn shouting "BLOW" into the mic.

Great crowd and a great venue. Special thanks to the gentlemen in the Red Sox hat (I won't hold that against you) that let my wife go up against the rail.

Side note: Met Jeff, the writer of the Hip article and videos from the Buffalo News. Classy guy... I can't say enough about that piece.
mintgreenbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mintgreenbird »

sat midway back in the grand tier and the sound was again great. was a LOUD show. setlist was great again. daredevil was the highlight of my night and acoustic new orleans is beat was awesome. other acoustic was bobcaygen and coffee girl. all around good show... way more security on hand this night... less police patrols in the lot though... i parked in the upper lot so i dont know the lower lot was behaving. :music
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

bstrauss24 wrote:and Blow, where Gord let most of the front row have a turn shouting "BLOW" into the mic.
Hey - that was me! (and about 20 others)
Heavy WATS tonight:
And if you want an order of songs - do not read this.
Morning Moon
The Last Recluse
Coffee Girl (A)
Now The Struggle Has A Name
The Depression Suite
The Exact Feeling
Queen of the Furrows
Frozen In My Tracks
Love Is A First
Country Day
Poets
Daredevil (Hiccups to start)
Bobcaygeon (A)
New Orleans Is Beat (A)
Poets
Fireworks
Fully
Courage
The Drop Off
Eldorado
Encore:
IAGLIYDW
Blow

Well, that is all I can remember right now. The crowd around me was a very good time.
The first set was very, um, slow or something or other.
But the second set more than made up for it.
And the 2nd set seemed super long. Awesome.
I think Love is a First opened.

I was front row and right next to me was a kid not more than 8 or 9 years old. He was great, but for the 2nd set you
could tell the poor kid was just wanting to go to bed. And the bastard dad didn't have headphones or earplugs on the poor boy.

And I thought someone had tonight covered, but if you need updates Friday - I am willing and able.
Good night.

Oh yeah - Paul Kicks Ass!
0604092231.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Buffalo37
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Buffalo37 »

locked from the pit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3G5mwsVN2M

PS- During Blow High Dough -Gord was laughing his ass off when I hit the mic cord and his mic fell into the lady's purse.
Last edited by Buffalo37 on Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
redhill
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by redhill »

great quality time spent with my daughter

We both had a great time

said hello to Patrick the Lion at Honeys

shot the shit with Dark Canuck at the show

I thought Robby really hit his stride in the 2nd set

It took me a while to come to grips with WATS (which I have in a big way)...and it
plays out strong live
mookytc
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mookytc »

Spent some quality time with my wife doing our favorite thing (just us and the music).

Few observations:

It was great not having the lawn open. Lines for bathroom, drinks, etc. were short and sweet. Don't oversell the venue. Artpark and town seem to have trouble with a larger crowed.

Sound was fantastic. The band sounded great and the acoustics were top notch. We prefer to sit right up front for shows but due to a medical condition we had last row in the handicap (which worked out great for us). Cool thing that we noticed was sound dude with laptop measuring the sound levels at the back of the venue to keep things tight.

Music...Coffee girl is a good song but would have preferred a gem snuck in instead. Likewise during the second set needed one more gem but all in all great show!

Special thanks to the sweetheart from Niagara Falls, Canada who kept my wife company during the intermission when I was off doing my thing.

Have fun music lovers...
Last edited by mookytc on Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

mookytc wrote:Cool thing that we noticed was sound dude with laptop measuring the sound levels at the back of the venue to keep things tight.
That guy has been present at every show I've been to - wandering the venue and adjusting things to keep the sound nice.
jodisoko
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by jodisoko »

Will someone please post the setlist in order? Pretty please?

Last night's show topped Tuesday's show in so many ways. :thumb: If the escalation of the first two shows is any indication of what the four-night run will be at Artpark, I can only image what Saturday's finale will be like. I only wish I could go again tonight and tomorrow. :(

Because we unfortunately missed the first 15 minutes of the Tuesday show because the restaurant we went to had horrible service (but at least they gave us a big discount) and a drunken mom and her adult daughter who were in our seats when we arrived (and exited oh so gracefully), it put a little dampen on the evening. :( I was a little surprised to read ecstatic reviews of Tuesday's show, since I've been to better shows. So maybe it was the experience that played into my interpretation of the evening.

Nevertheless, I had a chance to replay the evening, or more like a do-over, Thursday night. Was going to take my fiance' (who didn't want me to buy the second set of tickets anyway, so did he really deserve to go again?), but decided to take my good gal friend, who appreciates it so much more, instead. (Felt like I had to make it up to her since it was my idea to go out to dinner before Tuesday's show!) And happened to sit in front of two fellow high school alum.

10th row center right near middle aisle was fantastic. Sound was a beauty. Seeing Gord's antics and handkerchief flips is the best. Courage was a highlight, as well as Drop Off, Fireworks and Blow (Gord with purse was hilarious :lol: ). Love the acoustic set. My friend loves Last Recluse (me too). And I'm loving Frozen in my Tracks more and more. Agree that Robby was really rockin' it and the new album sounds great live. WATS is little slow (like IVL) but live really "livens" it up. Saw a taper in Grand Tier right Tuesday night, and met taper Scott in Grand Tier center right last night. I hope you send me your tapes from Tues and Thurs nights, please?!

Having some mixed feelings about the new addition of keyboards, but it definitely fills out the sound. Although Tuesday night there was one song that we felt he sound have laid off the keys. Anyone else have thoughts about the keys?

The boys were certainly more geared up and enthusiatic than Tuesday night. Maybe Weds gave them the rest they needed to really jam it out Thursday. Again, I only wish I could go again tonight and tomorrow. Next, I'll be checking if there are any tix left for the Rochester show.

PS. We didn't park in Artpark's lot either night, and I don't recommend it. Tuesday we parked down by the river (in a van, truly), but that was a longer walk back. Last night we parked on a street behind the BBQ restaurant and that was a really easy out. We saw the aftermath of a young lady getting arrested for DWI right at the parking entrance going in. Beware of heavy police presence there.