11/26/09: Tivoli: Utrecht, Netherlands

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

11/26/09: Tivoli: Utrecht, Netherlands

Post by sean.bonner »

Post Your Review.

01 - New Orleans Is Sinking
02 - The Depression Suite
03 - Fireworks
04 - Ahead By A Century
05 - In View
06 - Don't Wake Daddy
07 - Morning Moon
08 - Poets
09 - Pigeon Camera
10 - At The Hundredth Meridian
11 - Love Is A First

01 - Courage*
02 - The Last Recluse*
03 - Scared*
04 - Springtime In Vienna
05 - Bobcaygeon
06 - Nautical Disaster
07 - Coffee Girl
08 - Family Band
09 - Long Time Running
10 - Yer Not The Ocean
11 - Grace, Too
12 - My Music At Work

13 - Frozen In My Tracks
14 - Little Bones
Last edited by sean.bonner on Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
FighterAndLover
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Re: 11/26/09: Tivoli: Utrecht, Netherlands

Post by FighterAndLover »

Anyone have any idea what time the show will be? Trying to iron out some plans for my journey from Leipzig-Utrecht-Amsterdam :jump Really excited!
Buck
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Buck »

On the tickets I bought yesterday, the show time is listed as 7:30 pm.

THE TRAGICALLY HIP
Tivoli
Thu, November 26, 2009 7:30 PM

Seat location:
General Admission.
zoppo
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by zoppo »

Jesus fuckin christ......what a show!!

Long time fan...and evertytime the hip comes to Holland i go to one of the shows. This one tonight really blew me away, probably the best show i've ever been to. The sound was great, and i cant believe how good and intense the band played. I saw them two years ago at the same venue, and that time i was kind of dissapointed...but i cant believe how good they were tonight (i know, i'm repeating myself...but i'm still kind of buzzed).

Highligths for me were...pigeon camera, family band (that song really really does wonders live) and long time running (haven't listened to that song in quiet some time after years of extensive play) and morning moon (song of the year for me).

what a band, what a night....ok, enough
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

Pigeon Camera? Cool! I hope that crack that one out in the UK!
Buck
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Buck »

Last night was solid...tonight was spectacular. Can't wait for tomorrow. My only complaint is 2 nights of In View. Here's the set list:

NOIS
Depression Suite
Fireworks
ABAC
In View
Don't Wake Daddy
Morning Moon
Poets
Pigeon Camera
100th Meridian
Love is a First

Courage (a)
Last Recluse (a)
Scared (a)
Springtime in vienna
Bobcaygeon
Nautical Disaster
Coffee Girl
Family Band
Long Time Running
Yer Not the Ocean
Grace, Too
Music @ Work

Frozen In My Tracks
Little Bones
gazzpacho
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by gazzpacho »

Hell yeah! What a brilliant show that was! It started early at 20:00 with a room that was only just half filled (we are not quite used to these early starts :-)) but after 15 minutes the place looked packed when all 1000 music lovers were in.

The Depression Suite.... man... what a song. A classic already.

The break was a bit of a downer. I don't like these long intermezzo as it takes away a lot of the atmosphere. But well, the second set was even more brilliant than the first. Long Time Running!!! M@W!!! Bobcaygeon!!! 100thM!!! A setlist dream came true.

Oh and credits to the 'handkerchief roadie' . Do you buy these things at local shops or are these real Canadian? :D

Roll on the Paradiso tonight! Hoping for 'Good Life' tonight.

Roel
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

ABAC

Springtime In Vienna

Scared
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

In View

ABAC
Dana
catechism
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by catechism »

Oh, I'm so glad there's video going up for this. I'm looking particularly rapturous and ridiculous in pretty much all of them. Awesome.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Pigeon Camera

Family Band

Nautical Disaster

Courage

100th Meridian
Dana
catechism
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by catechism »

Long Time Running

Frozen In My Tracks

Little Bones

A bit of M@W, with Gord in the crowd.
FighterAndLover
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by FighterAndLover »

gazzpacho wrote:after 15 minutes the place looked packed when all 1000 music lovers were in.
There were actually 1001. When the lady at the ticket booth told me they were all sold out, I said, 'I came all the way from Germany for this.' She gave me a somewhat-annoyed look and said, 'You just want one ticket?' After a phone call, she said 'Tonight we sell one extra ticket!' I was ecstatic.

This was my eighth Hip show, and acoustic-wise, I can't remember a better venue. The sound in Tivoli is extraordinary, to say the least. One of the finest versions of ABAC. Gord introduced it with something like, 'Sometimes you play a song so much and you think it's about the one thing. Then one day you realize it's about, the other thing. This is Behind By A Century (I guess he used the same intro a few times this tour?)

Courage was a lot better acoustic than I thought it'd be. By the time the acoustic set was over, people were practically moshing for Springtime in Vienna. During 100th, Gord started reminiscing about how he knew everyone in the crowd. "You there, with the big afro! I remember you! I remember when you said you were going to cut it, shave it down to the root! I said no way, man! This (pointing to his own bald head) is a 7-days-a-week job! I remember when they built this building! They said, 'we can't afford those green exit signs.' I said 'You have to, you have to put them in! How will the people know how to leave!?'

Also allowed crowd to strum guitar. When someone up front was able to form a chord upside down, Gord was genuinely impressed and had them form chords for him as he laid down and strummed.

Sinclair was really in the zone; he also must've noticed the amazing acoustics in there. Highlights for me were Don't Wake Daddy and Pigeon Camera.

I noticed they haven't been mixing up the setlist too much in Europe. Kind of unfortunate, but I guess it's expected. Great show, great audience- surprising number of Dutch who are die-hards. I had a great time in Utrecht overall- great people there. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Amsterdam- I wasn't even able to get a ticket :cry:
catechism
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by catechism »

There were actually 1001. When the lady at the ticket booth told me they were all sold out, I said, 'I came all the way from Germany for this.' She gave me a somewhat-annoyed look and said, 'You just want one ticket?' After a phone call, she said 'Tonight we sell one extra ticket!' I was ecstatic.
Nice! It may have been the same woman who sold me mine, actually. I had already purchased one, but there was some kind of mail mixup so I didn't have it in my hands. I told her that I'd bought one, offered to show her the receipt, said I came all the way from Chicago for the show, looked really sad, and she was kind of enough to sell me another even though it was sold out. So I paid twice for this show, but it was absolutely worth it. I did look around for you, but am basically too short to see anything or anyone that's not right in front of me. Glad you made it, though it's too bad about Amsterdam. That was also a really good show.
catechism
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by catechism »

Long Time Running again, from a different spot

Nautical Disaster, though it starts with the end of Bobcaygeon, with Gord laying on the monitors as the audience plays his guitar.