11/30/09: HMV Forum: London, England

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

11/30/09: HMV Forum: London, England

Post by sean.bonner »

Post your review.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Re: 11/30/09: HMV Forum: London, England

Post by thompson girl »

Let's bump this one up from the 4th page! One week to go!
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

Really looking forward to this (and Manchester) next week!
Edward_K
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Edward_K »

Hey folks,

well, i am off to London tomorrow am and will catch this show...I am not familiar with this area...any tips in terms of places to eat and grab a pregame pint?

any area tips are appreciated...

and of course, really looking forward to this show - it will be my first time seeing them overseas!

Salut, Edward
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

Edward_K wrote:Hey folks,

well, i am off to London tomorrow am and will catch this show...I am not familiar with this area...any tips in terms of places to eat and grab a pregame pint?

and of course, really looking forward to this show - it will be my first time seeing them overseas!

Salut, Edward
There's a pub called The Bull and Gate next door (more or less) which is probably your best bet. It's not the nicest place, but it's got a pretty good pre-gig atmosphere from all the times I've been in there.
Edward_K
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Edward_K »

Zenith wrote:
Edward_K wrote:Hey folks,

Salut, Edward
There's a pub called The Bull and Gate next door (more or less) which is probably your best bet. It's not the nicest place, but it's got a pretty good pre-gig atmosphere from all the times I've been in there.

Thanks Z or Zed as we say in Canada. How many people do you expect and what is the place like?

i am bringing with me one of my employees who is an Italian living in London - great guy who likes his live music...For me it will be interesting to see how he appreciates das hip...he did not have much choice about going to the show :lol: we will probably hit the bull and gate for a pre-pint.

I will report on the show, how my friend enjoyed...I am really psyched to see them in the UK - hopefully a bunch of new fans will see the light!
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

Edward_K wrote:it will be my first time seeing them overseas!
Mine too! I'm really excited, after reading all of the reviews of the European tour thus far.

Looks like a pretty nice venue:
http://venues.meanfiddler.com/upload/ve ... _tour.html
I think I read that it holds 2,000.
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

Edward_K wrote: Thanks Z or Zed as we say in Canada. How many people do you expect and what is the place like?

i am bringing with me one of my employees who is an Italian living in London - great guy who likes his live music...For me it will be interesting to see how he appreciates das hip...he did not have much choice about going to the show :lol: we will probably hit the bull and gate for a pre-pint.

I will report on the show, how my friend enjoyed...I am really psyched to see them in the UK - hopefully a bunch of new fans will see the light!
No worries. As Thompson Girl said it holds around 2,000 people, but I don't think it's sold out. The upstairs seated area is sometimes closed off though depending on tickets sales. It's bigger than The Astoria (RIP) and Shepherds Bush Empire which are the other two places in London I've seen The Hip. I like it as a venue - The sound is usually pretty good. The place is usually full of ex-pats though so you feel like you're at a show in Canada! :lol:
WilliamstheMusic
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by WilliamstheMusic »

Off to get the train down to London (from Wolverhampton) in a few hours. Anyone any idea what time they come on stage?
Edward_K
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Edward_K »

T-girl and Zenith - thnaks for the link to the venue and the replies!

It looks like the doors open at 7 - i would expect them on around 8:PM but will get there earlier in case...last thing i want to do is miss a few tunes...

i wonder what they had on the setlist last night in Belgium???

really hoping for Locked tonight...plus Get Back Again, Put It Off and Sherpa....or I'll take the Depression suite :)
WilliamstheMusic
New Maybe
New Maybe

Yeah we are planning to get there for opening - gotta check-in to the hotel and find somewhere to eat first. The set list looks a long one, so I'm guessing 7.45-8pm start. Never been to this venue before and I hope it's as good as The Empire and Astoria.
Edward_K
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Edward_K »

WilliamstheMusic wrote:Yeah we are planning to get there for opening - gotta check-in to the hotel and find somewhere to eat first. The set list looks a long one, so I'm guessing 7.45-8pm start. Never been to this venue before and I hope it's as good as The Empire and Astoria.

from the link that Thomson Girl posted, the venue looks quite nice from the virtual tour / pics.

Safe travels!
WilliamstheMusic
New Maybe
New Maybe

Should be in Euston for 4pm and it's only about 10 mins on the tube to Kentish Town. Looking forward to it. I think this is our 5th or 6th Hip show (only ever seen them in London though). Manchester is actually nearer but it clashes with something else and I'm also reluctant to put the mutt into kennels more than once in a week.
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

Edward_K wrote:plus Get Back Again, Put It Off and Sherpa....or I'll take the Depression suite :)
Goo luck with that! :lol: I think you might just have to settle for TDS.
WilliamstheMusic wrote:Never been to this venue before and I hope it's as good as The Empire and Astoria.
IMO, it's not as good as the Astoria (RIP), but it's pretty decent. Plus, the forum is on the Northern Line which is good for me. :)
Tubaros
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Tubaros »

I saw them last at the Shepards Bush Empire, bloomin awesome gig. I am so stoked to see them tonight, cant wait.

I might even wear my purple Hip hockey jersey. Not sure tho, as I got it a while back and have never worn it... would be a shame to ruin it, but then again, what are the chances of getting Gord to sign it? Is there a side entrance anyone knows about?

Also, if anyone gets pics or anything, please post them here - I may be taking some too.