11/30/09: HMV Forum: London, England

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Re: 11/30/09: HMV Forum: London, England

Post by Zenith »

Tubaros wrote:I saw them last at the Shepards Bush Empire, bloomin awesome gig. I am so stoked to see them tonight, cant wait.
That was a great show. That was my first Hip gig - Tonight will be my eighth. :jump
Tubaros wrote:I might even wear my purple Hip hockey jersey. Not sure tho, as I got it a while back and have never worn it... would be a shame to ruin it, but then again, what are the chances of getting Gord to sign it? Is there a side entrance anyone knows about?
Yeah, there is a stage door down the road to the side of the venue. I waited there for the Manics after they played a show there in 2007 and they came out and signed stuff. That'd be the best place to wait for the band, but whether they'll be up for a meet-and-greet is another matter. They're not playing a show tomorrow so they won't be in any rush to head off I doubt.
sadies
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by sadies »

Tubaros wrote:I saw them last at the Shepards Bush Empire, bloomin awesome gig. I am so stoked to see them tonight, cant wait.

I might even wear my purple Hip hockey jersey. Not sure tho, as I got it a while back and have never worn it... would be a shame to ruin it, but then again, what are the chances of getting Gord to sign it? Is there a side entrance anyone knows about?

Also, if anyone gets pics or anything, please post them here - I may be taking some too.

I'd give that jersey a miss, mate... just wear your enthusiasm on your sleeve.
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

Tubaros wrote:Also, if anyone gets pics or anything, please post them here - I may be taking some too.
If my camera is dried out by show time, I'll be taking some. This morning's rain was horrible.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Via Zenith on Twitter:"Fiddlers Green with Kelly Jones from the Stereophonics!! #thehip"
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

chris wrote:Via Zenith on Twitter:"Fiddlers Green with Kelly Jones from the Stereophonics!! #thehip"
Come on... I don't think I've ever wanted to hear a duet so much in my life

Cheers,

Pat
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

Wooooow! What. A. Fucking. Night!

That show was unbelievable! So many highlights! Obviously, the Fiddlers Green duet with Kelly Jones was something really special - I'm not ashamed to admit that I was pretty chocked up during that song. :cry: Gord said that they were really looking forward to tonight and they certainly weren't kidding! The performance was really top notch, and even some of the regular stables like Poets and Meridian especially, sounded really fresh.

Poets was a longer version with loads of antics from Gord, his mic lead got caught up on his monitor speaker, which he kept tugging on until it fell over. He then started kicking and rolling it around, while waving away the security guards who were trying to help him. Right at the end of the song he lifted up like a power lifter before if crashed down on top of him! :lol: I think we got the full house of stuff in Meridian. Gord was ranting away for ages about how he helped design the venue (the only bit I could really make out was how he said that they should have the green emergency exit signs), he then went onto the cave man bit and the spinning around on the mic stand. During Music @ Work he ventured into the crowd almost as far back as the sound desk with Ricky frantically trying to keep up with him. Seriously, it was incredible!

Here's the full setlist:

New Orleans is Sinking
The Depression Suite
Twist My Arm
It's a good Life if You Don't Weaken
Fireworks
Morning Moon
Springtime in Vienna
Coffee Girl
Yer Not The Ocean
Poets
Love is a First

Courage (Acoustic)
The Last Recluse (Acoustic)
Fiddlers Green (Acoustic with Kelly Jones)
Gift Shop
The Last of the Unplucked Gems
Ahead By a Century
In View
At The Hundredth Meridian
Long Time Running
Family Band
Grace, Too
My Music at Work
===
Frozen in My Tracks
Blow at High Dough

Phew, what a night! I'm still grinning like a moron! I can't wait for Manchester!
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

Yep, the Kelly Jones thing was pretty unexpected, and very cool. So glad I got to experience that. I didn't get choked up at that, I just thought it was really special to be witnessing that. I did get choked up during Gems for some reason though, not quite sure why.

There were a lot more people at that show than I expected. And so many ex-pats!

While Gord didn't get the crowd involved too much tonight, the Meridian rant was still pretty funny. He said a lot of things that made me chuckle.

Robbie seemed to be really enjoying himself again, And I still can't believe I'm in England! I may have hyped things up a bit too much though, as I found this show a bit anti-climatic for me, but I have had an amazing time so far. Met some nice folks from Buffalo and the UK tonight. It was one of the UK guy's first Hip show, so it was neat to hear what he thought.

I am looking forward to Manchester.

Pictures to come when I get home. The WiFi in this place is way too slow.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

chris wrote:Via Zenith on Twitter:"Fiddlers Green with Kelly Jones from the Stereophonics!! #thehip"
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
RenewedRoots
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by RenewedRoots »

This was the first Hip show I have attended since the summer of 2004. I absolutely adored it and have to say it was definitely the most meaningful and enjoyable show I have been to. The Hip have never failed to amaze me at the shows I have attended but this one raised the bar. Between the set list, the duet with Kelly Jones on Fiddlers Green and Gord venturing into the crowd it was truly amazing.

On a more personal note hearing them perform Long Time Running really choked me up. It was a song that seemed to define the closest relationship I have been in and we both adored it for that reason equally. My partner was tragically killed and I stopped going to Hip concerts after that. This is the first one I have been to in more then 5 years and I knew it would be an emotional experience full of good but perhaps sad memories. I was elated when they began playing Long Time Running and was very beautifully overcome emotionally.

It was a great night, a truly amazing night and has really highlighted every reason why The Hip was and once again is my favourite band.

Jeff
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Dana
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

I know Dana's already posted a video, but here's an mp3 of Fiddlers Green from last night. Enjoy.
Tubaros
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Tubaros »

OK, so im sitting here thinking where to start. It seems looking over the previous posts that people feel a similar connection to the hip - that's one of the things that makes them so great. For me, no other person I know, apart from a Canadian friend, know of the hip, so they're a kind of personal treasure for me. Last night cemented my love of the band even more.

Last nights version of It's a good Life if You Don't Weaken was great, one of my top10 hip songs and it didnt disappoint.
Poets and Love is a First was full of great Hip energy throughout as was Gift Shop. The Last Recluse (Acoustic) which is my favourite song from the latest album was just great. And then Kelly Jones turned up to do Fiddlers Green and the crowd went mental!! I know all about the Stereophonics connection, and have had the MP3 of him doing Fiddlers Green for ages, but it was such a treat to see him do it live with them. Ahead By a Century (Or Behind by a Century as Gord called it) was great. Ive got so many versions of my number 1 fave tune, At The Hundredth Meridian, I just never get bored of it, and with the part in the middle allowing Gord and the band to go into one, it was yet another great version. I've only mentioned a few of the songs they did last night, but the whole gig was excellent from start to finish, every song was spot on and Im in such a good mood today for it. I just wish i could win the lottery go to all their gigs!

I did think though, that Gords vocal levels could have been slightly better. He was on form last night, loved that stuff he was doing with the handkerchief. Also, got to pat him on the shoulder when he came out to the crowd, which was a nice bonus :)

My 2009 is now complete :)
Last edited by Tubaros on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Zenith wrote: here's an mp3 of Fiddlers Green from last night. Enjoy.
Thank You.
Dana
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

RenewedRoots wrote: On a more personal note hearing them perform Long Time Running really choked me up. It was a song that seemed to define the closest relationship I have been in and we both adored it for that reason equally.

Dana
MattyM
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MattyM »

There's not a lot to add here that hasn't already been said, so I'll share a little story from the gig.

Myself and Emma joined Ben (Zenith) and his good lady as they were already at the venue when we arrived. Stood right by us was a guy who I started chatting to who, while originally from Canada, had made the trek from Swansea to be at the show. He was telling me about how he loved the Hip and had been following them since Up To Here was released, but that this was the first time he had been able to see the band live. As we were chatting away about what songs we wanted to hear and how futile it is trying to find people in the UK who know The Hip, we were joined by another guy, from New Zealand who had built a business schedule in the UK around the London show, moving meeting dates to coincide with having a free day when The Hip was in town. The three of us, and occaionally Ben and our respective partners chatted away merrily while we awaited Gord and the guys hitting the stage as if we'd been friends for years.

I know from experience and from other posts here that this behaviour isn't too uncommon, but it's only ever at Hip shows that I've fallen so easily into conversation with strangers, to the degree that we've been sure to say goodbye and wish each other a safe journey.

Incidentally, the guy who'd made the trip from Swansea said it was everything he'd imagined and so much more...
Come say hi on twitter @MattMerritt