10/19/09: 9:30 Club: Washington, D.C.

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
thebends
Completist
Completist

Re: 10/19/09: 9:30 Club: Washington, D.C.

Post by thebends »

hotmetal401 wrote:
thebends wrote:
sean.bonner wrote:Post your review.
06 - Locked In The Trunk Of A Car
07 - Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin' Man
08 - Poets
09 - Now The Struggle Has A Name
10 - Family Band
11 - Fully Completely
12 - Little Bones
13 - Grace, Too
14 - Fire In The Hole
That's quite a run! Man that must have been sweet.
This was the text I got:
"Just saw the rest of the setlist when the house lit up. This is gonna get stupid soon."

I would concur. I talked with my buddy post-show about the gig. 9:30 Club has a special place in my heart. Him and I went there for the Oct.26 (ish) show in 2007, right before I took the job up here in Port Elgin and very shortly after I split with my fiance. It was one of those "this is excatly where I need to be right now moments." So when he calls post show, he said there was a bit of deja vu for him - taking the same picture of GD, during the same song, from the same spot, two years later - but at the same time, it also felt like home.

And that's the thing: this band always feels like home. No matter how many times I gringe when Poets starts, there's no place in the world I think I'd rather be.

Cheers,

Pat
My wife and I also have fond memories of the 9:30 ... we were there for both July shows in 2002. Its a sketchy part of town but the club itself is an excellent venue to see the Hip. We found a grill type restaurant before the show near the venue (I recall a hospital near by) where we, by pure stroke of luck, ended up sitting right beside Rob Baker, Paul and Gordie. Mr. Downie signed our Air Canada boarding passes "Fly high with Juan and Mia airlines" which are still stapled to the "wall of fame" in my music room. Good times!
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
sullivand
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sullivand »

thebends wrote:we were there for both July shows in 2002.
Ditto for my wife and me. You've never come across a recording of either of those shows, have you?
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

sullivand wrote:
Ditto for my wife and me. You've never come across a recording of either of those shows, have you?
Not the 2002 shows, but we were there for both May 1999 shows as well and I have good recordings of those gigs. If you are interested let me know and I can make them available for you.
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
sullivand
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sullivand »

thebends wrote:
sullivand wrote:
Not the 2002 shows, but we were there for both May 1999 shows as well and I have good recordings of those gigs. If you are interested let me know and I can make them available for you.
Very generous of you, but I'm mildly obsessed with those 2002 shows for now. So thanks but no thanks. :) And now back to the 2009 show reviews...
BakersBrew
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BakersBrew »

Hey did anyone see the absolutely HOT chick Johnny left with after the show. He is my hero. What a lucky guy, scores awesome babes on the road, has a hot wife to come home to, and plays drums in the greatest band ever. You're amazing Johnny. Just keep an eye out for Johnny Bravo.
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

Dude, that's so fucking uncool. You are always attacking the band personaly. What hapened? One of the guys bang your girlfriend or something?
Last edited by NegPhil on Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

sherpa wrote:wow - 17 of the 26 songs played were from Phantom Power or earlier
Is this the first 26 song show of the tour?
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
scorchedearth
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by scorchedearth »

It was such an incredible show. My wife and I had our first experience seeing the Hip on Monday night. The 9:30 club is such a great venue for them.

The whole experience was phenomenal. Check the group on flickr for some photos:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/tth/

:D
BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

BakersBrew wrote:Hey did anyone see the absolutely HOT chick Johnny left with after the show. He is my hero. What a lucky guy, scores awesome babes on the road, has a hot wife to come home to, and plays drums in the greatest band ever. You're amazing Johnny. Just keep an eye out for Johnny Bravo.
Neg you should have just moderated this garbage.Hipbase is not a place to be a stool pigeon.Needless to say we wont be visiting your bar next time the boys come to Belleville :x
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Dana
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

The Tragically Hip at 930 Club review; 10-19-09
October 20, 7:04 PMDC
Live Music Clubs Examiner Michael Bogart
http://www.examiner.com/x-4555-DC-Live- ... iew-101909

Gordon Downie is nothing if not one of the most entertaining front men in all of modern rock. That's right. It's been said. Downie's on, and off-stage antics last night at the 930 Club were a show in and of themselves. The lower half of Dave Matthews and the upper half of Michael Stipe essentially form Downie's presence. The Tragically Hip front man led the Canadian rock heroes through two riveting sets spanning their entire catalog in front of a near-sold out crowd at one of DC's finest indoor venues.

Kicking things off at just after 8PM, Downie, Paul Langlois and Rob Baker (guitars), Gord Sinclair (bass) and Johnny Fay (drums), led the evening strong with a rocking 'New Orleans is Sinking'. It was clear early Downie was in a chatty mood, yammering on about the excitement in DC at the 930 Club "at 930" (even though it was 8-something) before the band laced in to tracks like '100th Meridian', 'Don't Wake Daddy', 'Courage', and 'Gift Shop'.

Downie was awfully playful with the crowd to include numerous hair plucks that were feignly eaten; asking folks if they "remember when you decided to get that awful haircut, do you remember when you decided to grow that goatee?"; singing lyrics in the face of many front-row-goers as if he was having a personal conversation; and some of the most entertaining facial expressions and uses of a hankerchief ever seen in a live setting. He must be singlehandedly keeping some hankerchief company in business as more than two dozen were draped over his face, tossed around ala David Copperfield, bicycled like mini soccer balls, and generally distributed to fans through whatever physical means striked Downie that reflected the lyrics at the time.

They also showcased some strong tracks from their latest release We Are The Same, including 'Coffee Girl', to which Downie opined, "Who doesn't like a good cup of coffee?"; 'Morning Moon', and 'Love is a First'. A strong second set kicked off with the boys pulling it together more intimately for a sweet rendition of 'Music at Work'. Other showcased second set highlights include 'Bobcaygeon', 'Fiddler's Green', and 'Ahead by a Century', to me the show's highlight. While a few sweet tracks were missed, including 'Pigeon Camera', the Hip brought more than two hours of music through two sets that entertained fans both very young and very old. Their reach beyond our northern borders may be limited, but it was hard not to overhear a few Canadian fans explain how insane it was to see them in such an intimate setting.
Dana
ccrummer
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by ccrummer »

Hi all,

As a Canadian who only sees the Hip in the States; I was blown away with this show. Its said constantly and I can't agree more the GD and the guys are the definition of energy. This was my 4th show this year and it was simply the best. I'm a huge Road Apples fan and to get Twist my Arm and Little Bones; blown away.

I aslo got the honor of FINALLY getting my first set list (both of them). I've always managed to get a picture at least (from someone's posting here) so I want to return the favour.

Cheers to all! (Now, if the Leafs can play as well as the Hip, life will be so much better!)

-chris-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

^Good stuff! Well worth the coming out :thumb:
scorchedearth
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by scorchedearth »

Tthip wrote:
I took those videos! :D
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

scorchedearth wrote:
I took those videos! :D
Do you have any more?
Dana