11/22/09: Luxor: Cologne, Germany

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

11/22/09: Luxor: Cologne, Germany

Post by sean.bonner »

Post your review.

01 - New Orleans Is Sinking
02 - The Depression Suite
03 - The Drop-Off
04 - Ahead By A Century
05 - Gift Shop
06 - Morning Moon
07 - Courage
08 - It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
09 - In View
10 - At The Hundredth Meridian
11 - Love Is A First

01 - Thompson Girl*
02 - The Last Recluse*
03 - Wheat Kings*
04 - Springtime In Vienna
05 - Bobcaygeon
06 - Nautical Disaster
07 - Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin' Man
08 - Poets
09 - Now The Struggle Has A Name
10 - Yer Not The Ocean
11 - Grace, Too
12 - My Music At Work

13 - Frozen In My Tracks
14 - Blow At High Dough
Last edited by sean.bonner on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Re: 11/22/09: Luxor: Cologne, Germany

Post by ikky99 »

Must've been a load of Basers at this show. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
bstrauss24
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bstrauss24 »

Maybe its the time difference!
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Hello??
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

bstrauss24 wrote:Maybe its the time difference!
Pretty sure they're about 8 or 9 hours ahead of us (in Ontario), so... chances are if anybody from the base went, they don't have access to the web right now (hopefully that's the case, I'd like a review of the show).
buffalorob
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by buffalorob »

They're 6 hours ahead.
gilb
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by gilb »

It was an amazing show. Gord sounded great and the band played really well. There were a few problems with guitars not working. The only time it was a bit of a letdown was when the lead guitar didn't work during Wheat Kings. Still a nice version but the band was a little distracted. I am not sure of the setlist in its entirety but...
New Orleans
The Depression Suite (amazing)
The Drop Off
Springtime in Vienna
Ahead by a Century
Gift Shop
100th Meridian
Morning Moon (with an excellent kiss off to some fans)
In View
Wheat Kings
Bobcaygeon
The Last Recluse
It's a Good Life
My Music at Work
Now the Struggle has a Name
Escape is at Hand
Frozen in my Tracks
Yer Not the Ocean
Poets
Blow at High Dough

Anyone know where I could get/buy a bootleg of this so I could relive it again and again?
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

There were fans there who know about thehiptracker as I received a few invite requests this morning - and they said they heard about the site at the show... So hopefully this means there was a taper present. If there was, and they plan on sharing your best bet in obtaining a copy of the show is through thehiptracker.com.

The shows are always free. Never pay for a copy of a fan recording. The Hip have released a few select shows for sale but there is no way of knowing what shows will be sold, or when.
sadies
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by sadies »

excellent. please tell us more.

was it a full room? What was the 'kissoff' to fans? did they have the 1st set with a breaK? do you know if they brought their full backdrop they have been using in America? thanks!

really looking forward to Manchester and Glasgow now.

gilb wrote:It was an amazing show. Gord sounded great and the band played really well. There were a few problems with guitars not working. The only time it was a bit of a letdown was when the lead guitar didn't work during Wheat Kings. Still a nice version but the band was a little distracted. I am not sure of the setlist in its entirety but...
New Orleans
The Depression Suite (amazing)
The Drop Off
Springtime in Vienna
Ahead by a Century
Gift Shop
100th Meridian
Morning Moon (with an excellent kiss off to some fans)
In View
Wheat Kings
Bobcaygeon
The Last Recluse
It's a Good Life
My Music at Work
Now the Struggle has a Name
Escape is at Hand
Frozen in my Tracks
Yer Not the Ocean
Poets
Blow at High Dough

Anyone know where I could get/buy a bootleg of this so I could relive it again and again?
andy42g
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by andy42g »

sadies wrote:excellent. please tell us more.

was it a full room? What was the 'kissoff' to fans? did they have the 1st set with a breaK? do you know if they brought their full backdrop they have been using in America? thanks!
Have you seen the minute size of the venues they are playing over here - I doubt very much they'll be needing their full backdrop....? Would love to know though if they are retaining the acoustic section for us.
really looking forward to Manchester and Glasgow now.
Me too :D . Reminds me - must book a hostel in Glasgow,
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

I just got this review from a fan looking to join the tracker:
The show was insane, but no, I didn't mark down the set list ( I should have) but they played alot of cuts from past albums and not as many from We are the Same.

But there was about 400 PPL there, it is a small bar, but the show was enjoyable because everyone there was into it heavy, and well behaved.

I don't recall anyone taping it, too bad it would have been a good one to get.
gilb
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by gilb »

There was no backdrop, just the lights which were great and showed Gord in all his sweating glory. The acoustic part of the show was indeed included and they played maybe 5 or 6 songs that way. I was in the front row so I couldn't really see if it was really packed in the Hotel but it seemed full and the crowd was good and really into it. When Gord asked us to sing backup on Frozen in my Tracks we didn't need any rehearsing.
Before Morning Moon some people screamed "We're from Canada" and Gord turned and said that we are all from somewhere, we are all citizens of the night sky, and that we live under the dominion of the moon that sometimes doesn't want to give up its place come morning. Then he said this song was for everyone who says things that don't make anyone feel better, and told them to never stop saying those things. Of course I am paraphrasing here and he was able to put it much better. but there you go.
The show lasted about three hours and 100th Meridian had a really nice long interlude with Gord storytelling and the band locked in a tight groove.
Personally, I really liked the new material from We are the Same the most. Especially The Depression Suite as Gord delivered the lines with a mixture of comedy and seriousness, and made you think about each lyric in a new way. Maybe my favourite moment was the "If it dies, it dies" line from The Struggle... his performance of the line somehow left me with the double impression of profoundness and obviousness....
They also played Grace too and Nautical Disaster, which I somehow forgot about on my last post...
andy42g
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by andy42g »

gilb wrote:There was no backdrop, just the lights which were great and showed Gord in all his sweating glory. The acoustic part of the show was indeed included and they played maybe 5 or 6 songs that way. I was in the front row so I couldn't really see if it was really packed in the Hotel but it seemed full and the crowd was good and really into it. When Gord ....
They also played Grace too and Nautical Disaster, which I somehow forgot about on my last post...
Well, now I'm way, way, way excited for the UK shows next week. You have just gotta love a band that will do their full 3 hour show for 400 people. :D
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

gilb wrote:The show lasted about three hours...
3 hours between the time they walked on the stage until they walked off after the encores maybe? Including the set break and the encore break?
gilb
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by gilb »

Ya, exactly they started up at nine on the dot, had a break for 20 minutes give or take and then finished up around midnightish with Downie screaming thank you music lovers into the mic.