11/25/09: Oosterport: Groningen, Netherlands

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

11/25/09: Oosterport: Groningen, Netherlands

Post by sean.bonner »

Post your review.

01 - Love Is A First
02 - Courage
03 - Thugs
04 - Ahead By A Century
05 - Gift Shop
06 - In View
07 - Morning Moon
08 - Looking For A Place To Happen
09 - Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
10 - At The Hundredth Meridian
11 - The Depression Suite

01 - Coffee Girl*
02 - Flamenco*
03 - Scared*
04 - Grace, Too
05 - Bobcaygeon
06 - Nautical Disaster
07 - Throwing Off Glass
08 - New Orleans Is Sinking
09 - Now The Struggle Has A Name
10 - Family Band
11 - Fully Completely
12 - Blow At High Dough

13 - Tiger The Lion
14 - My Music At Work
Last edited by sean.bonner on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Buck
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Re: 11/25/09: Oosterport: Groningen, Netherlands

Post by Buck »

Solid show. Walked up to the stage shortly before start of show and stood essentially second row. Decent crowd...here's the set list:

Love Is A First
Courage
Thugs
Ahead By Century
Giftshop
In View
Morning Moon
Looking For a Place To Happen
Gus
100th Meridian
Depression Suite

Coffee Girl (a)
Flamenco (a)
Scared (a)
Grace, Too
Bobcaygeon
Nautical Disaster
Throwing Off Glass
NOIS
Now the Struggle Has a Name
Family Band
Fully Completely
Blow at High Dough

Tiger the Lion
My Music @ Work
catechism
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by catechism »

I was in some kind of Hip-induced fugue state and cannot be relied upon to give any kind of objective account, but I had an amazing time. I scored way more hankies than I needed (three, although I tried to get him to give the third to someone else, but he laughed at me and put it in my hand), and gave one of them to a random guy from Newfoundland after the show. Also, got to strum Gord's guitar during Bobcaygeon, so I've got the pick and a setlist (the first half, anyway). I took very few pictures because I couldn't quite bring myself to put the camera between me and the band, and I have no idea if they turned out; that'll have to wait until I'm back home. At any rate! It seemed that the crowd got better and more into it as the show progressed (or possibly they just got more drunk); everyone was cheering and dancing by the end, but it felt a little quiet to me during the first set. I didn't see a tape rig, but I wasn't really looking and couldn't see much anyway (I am very short! The Dutch are... not short.). Ummm... what else. I don't even know. Johnny, who I felt was kicking ass, broke a stick during Tiger the Lion, and Gord S. seemed to be having a pretty fantastic time; he couldn't keep the smile off his face during Family Band. I wrote a more comprehensive thing when I got back to my room, so I can write more here later. Now, though, I need to make my way to Utrecht and see if I can get in to that show. I bought a ticket, but due to the vagaries of international mail, I don't have it.
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

Buck wrote:Solid show. Walked up to the stage shortly before start of show and stood essentially second row.
That seems to be the nature of the Oosterport. We got to the 2007 there well after doors and still got right to the front in front of Gord S & Rob.

Good setlist. Nice to see things are still being mixed up - Really excited for next week. I wish I could have done a proper EuroHip tour again...
hmantaper
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by hmantaper »

catechism wrote:I was in some kind of Hip-induced fugue state and cannot be relied upon to give any kind of objective account, but I had an amazing time. I scored way more hankies than I needed (three, although I tried to get him to give the third to someone else, but he laughed at me and put it in my hand), and gave one of them to a random guy from Newfoundland after the show. Also, got to strum Gord's guitar during Bobcaygeon, so I've got the pick and a setlist (the first half, anyway). I took very few pictures because I couldn't quite bring myself to put the camera between me and the band, and I have no idea if they turned out; that'll have to wait until I'm back home. At any rate! It seemed that the crowd got better and more into it as the show progressed (or possibly they just got more drunk); everyone was cheering and dancing by the end, but it felt a little quiet to me during the first set. I didn't see a tape rig, but I wasn't really looking and couldn't see much anyway (I am very short! The Dutch are... not short.). Ummm... what else. I don't even know. Johnny, who I felt was kicking ass, broke a stick during Tiger the Lion, and Gord S. seemed to be having a pretty fantastic time; he couldn't keep the smile off his face during Family Band. I wrote a more comprehensive thing when I got back to my room, so I can write more here later. Now, though, I need to make my way to Utrecht and see if I can get in to that show. I bought a ticket, but due to the vagaries of international mail, I don't have it.
The show was taped, I can assure you that! :wink: :thumb:
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Zenith wrote:
Buck wrote:Solid show. Walked up to the stage shortly before start of show and stood essentially second row.
That seems to be the nature of the Oosterport. We got to the 2007 there well after doors and still got right to the front in front of Gord S & Rob.

Good setlist. Nice to see things are still being mixed up - Really excited for next week. I wish I could have done a proper EuroHip tour again...
I thought we were there when the doors but got delayed for ever while we waited for the security OK... and didn't Snoo run back to the hotel for something?
hmantaper wrote:The show was taped, I can assure you that! :wink: :thumb:
Great news! Can't wait to hear it...
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

chris wrote:
Zenith wrote:

I thought we were there when the doors but got delayed for ever while we waited for the security OK... and didn't Snoo run back to the hotel for something?

Yeah, we were there before the doors opened originally, but then Trevor and I had trouble getting our cameras in so the group got delayed. Then T and I went back to hotel to drop our stuff off (during which time the confusion got sorted) and Snoo ran back to tell us. Oh what fun. :lol:
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Zenith wrote:
chris wrote:
Zenith wrote:

Yeah, we were there before the doors opened originally, but then Trevor and I had trouble getting our cameras in so the group got delayed. Then T and I went back to hotel to drop our stuff off (during which time the confusion got sorted) and Snoo ran back to tell us. Oh what fun. :lol:
Ah yes... that's it!

Good times regardless of how it all happened.

And I am so very excited for next week - it's going to be a real test of my system but I think the last five months of sleep deprivation training* will really pay off during my four day Toronto > Glasgow > Dublin > Amsterdam > Toronto round trip.

* My training consists of having a baby on July 8.
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

chris wrote: Ah yes... that's it!

Good times regardless of how it all happened.

And I am so very excited for next week - it's going to be a real test of my system but I think the last five months of sleep deprivation training* will really pay off during my four day Toronto > Glasgow > Dublin > Amsterdam > Toronto round trip.

* My training consists of having a baby on July 8.
I wouldn't have had it any other way! :thumb: Good luck with all the flights. Shame we won't cross paths. Had I been working more I would have gone to one or both of those shows.
barc2
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by barc2 »

That was one of the best setlists I have seen on this tour without doubt!!!!
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Laxe
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Laxe »

I've seen the Hip most of the times they came over here for the last 10 years (after getting into their albums much earlier). This time I took my daughter (20) who appeared to have been borrowing from my Hip albums for some time....
We came early to get a good seat (yes I'm old) and were surprised to see there was no one there! I couldn't believe it when minutes before the start the place was still over half empty, but then the crowd just poured in from the bar right before the start to fill up the hall quite nicely.
And what a great show did we get! Possibly the best show I've seen. The band really seemed to be having a good time, the crowd was responsive and the setlist was absolutely fantastic with lots of little surprises. It's amazing that the Hip play such widely varying sets every show. Not many bands will do that for you. The songs from 'We are the same' blended in perfectly making the album finally come alive for me.
The sound was generally good although sometimes nuances (Rob's guitar) got a bit lost in the loudness. Nice to have a keyboard player live for unobtrusive extra detail (good extra backing vocals too). Loved the unplugged set after the break. My daughter just said she hoped for 'Coffee girl' and right there they kicked off with that song. Sweet. Since when have they been doing this break? It's great, now we got a super extended over 2 hour show with time to get a beer without missing anything.
My daughter was blown away by the intensity of Gord's performance and the trademark mesmerizing guitar interplay. It was absolutely wonderful to share the Hip experience with her :thumb:
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

Laxe wrote:Since when have they been doing this break?
Since they started touring 'We Are The Same' back in April.
sadies
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by sadies »

Great review!!
Laxe wrote:I've seen the Hip most of the times they came over here for the last 10 years (after getting into their albums much earlier). This time I took my daughter (20) who appeared to have been borrowing from my Hip albums for some time....
We came early to get a good seat (yes I'm old) and were surprised to see there was no one there! I couldn't believe it when minutes before the start the place was still over half empty, but then the crowd just poured in from the bar right before the start to fill up the hall quite nicely.
And what a great show did we get! Possibly the best show I've seen. The band really seemed to be having a good time, the crowd was responsive and the setlist was absolutely fantastic with lots of little surprises. It's amazing that the Hip play such widely varying sets every show. Not many bands will do that for you. The songs from 'We are the same' blended in perfectly making the album finally come alive for me.
The sound was generally good although sometimes nuances (Rob's guitar) got a bit lost in the loudness. Nice to have a keyboard player live for unobtrusive extra detail (good extra backing vocals too). Loved the unplugged set after the break. My daughter just said she hoped for 'Coffee girl' and right there they kicked off with that song. Sweet. Since when have they been doing this break? It's great, now we got a super extended over 2 hour show with time to get a beer without missing anything.
My daughter was blown away by the intensity of Gord's performance and the trademark mesmerizing guitar interplay. It was absolutely wonderful to share the Hip experience with her :thumb:
redhill
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by redhill »

Laxe wrote:I've seen the Hip most of the times they came over here for the last 10 years (after getting into their albums much earlier). This time I took my daughter (20) who appeared to have been borrowing from my Hip albums for some time....
great post

I've been lucky enough to catch 5 or 6 shows with my daughter along side of me
Memories that we can both share for a lifetime

good on you both :thumb:

cheers