11/29/09: Ancienne Belgique: Brussels, Belgium

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

11/29/09: Ancienne Belgique: Brussels, Belgium

Post by sean.bonner »

Post your review.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
EPenguin10
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Re: 11/29/09: Ancienne Belgique: Brussels, Belgium

Post by EPenguin10 »

Tickets are purchased, see you in Brussels.
catechism
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by catechism »

Anyone?
EPenguin10
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by EPenguin10 »

Great show, band in full form. Took awhile for the crowd to get into it. I started out somewhere in the middle and walked easily to the front at intermission. Loved the acoustic set. Gord ate something out of my hair. Seemed like he pulled alot of the same antics I've read about in other reviews: he had someone strum his guitar, threw a bunch of hankies into the crowd (including some nifty football/soccer moves), walked around in the crowd, petted some girl's head (she was right next to me), had someone sing out of his mic. Much better show than I remember in 2007 at the AB. Gord kept repeating how much he loved the AB, "one of Europe's best venues". First time I saw Robbie walk over to the left so much (all the way in front of Fay). At some point Gord was wipping his hankie at Paul and wiping Paul's sweat, later he was making faces at Gord S. (seemingly making fun of him for looking too serious). Introduced ABAC as Behind by a Century.

I didn't see any tapers, but didn't really give a thorough look.

I'm sure I was amisdt some hipbasers in front and didn't even know it.

I ran into Robbie before the show.

Sorry these are some pretty incoherent ramblings, I don't have much time to write down a full review right now...

Setlist (copied from someone who posted on last.fm):
> SETLIST

NEW ORLEANS IS SINKING (Up To Here, 1989)
THE DEPRESSION SUITE: (We Are The Same, 2009)
a) The Rock
b) New Orleans World
c) Don't You Wanna See How it Ends?
FIREWORKS (Phantom Power, 1998)
IT'S A GOOD LIFE IF YOU DON'T WEAKEN (In Violet Light, 2002)
COURAGE (Fully Completely, 1992)
MORNING MOON (We Are The Same, 2009)
FULLY COMPLETELY (Fully Completely, 1992)
COFFEE GIRL (We Are The Same, 2009)
POETS (Phantom Power, 1998)
LOVE IS A FIRST (We Are The Same, 2009)

THOMPSON GIRL (Phantom Power, 1998)**
THE LAST RECLUSE (We Are The Same, 2009)**
FIDDLER'S GREEN (Road Apples, 1991)**
GIFT SHOP (Trouble At The Henhouse, 1996)
AHEAD BY A CENTURY (Trouble At The Henhouse, 1996)
IN VIEW (World Container, 2007)
SPRINGTIME IN VIENNA (Trouble At The Henhouse, 1996)
BOBCAYGEON (Phantom Power, 1998)
NAUTICAL DISASTER (Day For Night, 1994)
MY MUSIC @ WORK (Music @ Work, 2000)

#encore:
FAMILY BAND (World Container, 2007)
GRACE, TOO (Day For Night, 1994)
Last edited by EPenguin10 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

Great setlist, especially the acoustic section (fingers crossed for TDC tonight!)
President
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by President »

‘It’s an honour for every artist in the world to play the Ancienne Belgique’… words from Gordon Downie after last passage in Brussels in 2007.
Tragically Hip loves Belgium, and this love is bilateral!
Once again, it was another memorable evening in Belgium’s best venue...

Part one was excellent! :thumb:
The sound was much, much, much better than in Eindhoven (Effenaar) last Monday.
They also seemed to play louder, and Gords voice was “SUPERBE”.
We heard great versions of The Depression Suite, Morning Moon, Coffee Girl and Poets.
Love Is First knocked us completely down.

The second part was simply… LEGENDARY!
The acoustic set with Thompson Girl, The Last Recluse (not The Dark Canuck as mentioned above) and Fiddlers Green… made my flesh creeps three times.
The rest of the set... was an accumulation of magical moments, one after the other…
That part was absolutely of the best I’ve ever seen The Hip bring.
Gift Shop, Springtime In Vienna, Nautical Disaster,… I have no words for it…
But THE highlight was undoubtedly My Music At Work…
Accidently or not, this is their biggest hit in Belgium so far, and even a popular radio program (Music@Work on Studio Brussel) is named after this song.
Gord went into the room, far back, with his micro, where the crazy audience could sing with him… and I was one of the lucky ones! :D

The “encore” was the cherry on the cake! (don’t know if this expression exists in Canada :roll: )
… Family Band is such a powerful and perfect live song,
and Grace Too… yeah…too … OF COURSE!

“Thank you music lovers!”
were the last and heartfelt words of Gord for the Belgian audience…
... we hope to see them as soon as possible again!
Thanks Tragically Hip!

PS1. Also THANKS to our new Dutch friend from Utrecht!
PS2. This time no yelling Canadians from Kingston in my neighborhood… "thank you for not coming, my YouTube videos are much better this time!" :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0-E4TbFhJE (Bobcaygeon)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uVD0niBryI (Gift Shop)
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

President wrote:This time no yelling Canadians from Kingston in my neighborhood… "thank you for not coming, my YouTube videos are much better this time!" :lol:
There was a lot of "Captain Canadas" (to coin markslog's phrase) at the Ancienne Belgique show in 2007. One guy was up on the balcony with me waving a Canadian flag at the stage right in front of where I was trying to film. Pretty frustrating really - He was up there for ages blocking everyone's view.
EPenguin10
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by EPenguin10 »

Zenith wrote:
President wrote:This time no yelling Canadians from Kingston in my neighborhood… "thank you for not coming, my YouTube videos are much better this time!" :lol:
There was a lot of "Captain Canadas" (to coin markslog's phrase) at the Ancienne Belgique show in 2007. One guy was up on the balcony with me waving a Canadian flag at the stage right in front of where I was trying to film. Pretty frustrating really - He was up there for ages blocking everyone's view.
a) There was a guy from Halifax next to me who kept yelling "Canada" with a slightly drunken slur. He did this for about 15 mins and then stopped. That's about all I heard from captain canadas all night;

b) thanks for the exact quote on the AB, I was paraphrasing and couldn't remember exactly what he said;

c) ditto on the setlist, I just copied it from last.fm and apparently didn't give a thorough check on what the poster had jotted down. TDC would have been cool though!

Have fun in London tonight. Wish I could've made it...
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

Zenith wrote:

If anybody (probably one of the Newfoundlander's on here) can find a video clip of the "live action Captain Canada from the NTV commercials PLEASE(!) post it. Too funny lol.
EPenguin10
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by EPenguin10 »

President
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by President »

EPenguin10 wrote:Someone (Johannumber14) posted a couple vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uVD0niBryI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0-E4TbFhJE
Hey EPenguin10... Johannumber14... that's me :D

PS. I copied the quote from Gord, from the website of the AB.
http://www.agenda.be/v2/nl/event/196454 ... y-hip.html
And if you speak French (si tu es un "vrais" Parisien), you can change to "version française", to read the complete texte.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
sherpa
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sherpa »

EPenguin10 wrote: Setlist (copied from someone who posted on last.fm):
> SETLIST

NEW ORLEANS IS SINKING (Up To Here, 1989)
THE DEPRESSION SUITE: (We Are The Same, 2009)
a) The Rock
b) New Orleans World
c) Don't You Wanna See How it Ends?
FIREWORKS (Phantom Power, 1998)
IT'S A GOOD LIFE IF YOU DON'T WEAKEN (In Violet Light, 2002)
COURAGE (Fully Completely, 1992)
MORNING MOON (We Are The Same, 2009)
FULLY COMPLETELY (Fully Completely, 1992)
COFFEE GIRL (We Are The Same, 2009)
POETS (Phantom Power, 1998)
LOVE IS A FIRST (We Are The Same, 2009)

THOMPSON GIRL (Phantom Power, 1998)**
THE LAST RECLUSE (We Are The Same, 2009)**
FIDDLER'S GREEN (Road Apples, 1991)**
GIFT SHOP (Trouble At The Henhouse, 1996)
AHEAD BY A CENTURY (Trouble At The Henhouse, 1996)
IN VIEW (World Container, 2007)
SPRINGTIME IN VIENNA (Trouble At The Henhouse, 1996)
BOBCAYGEON (Phantom Power, 1998)
NAUTICAL DISASTER (Day For Night, 1994)
MY MUSIC @ WORK (Music @ Work, 2000)

#encore:
FAMILY BAND (World Container, 2007)
GRACE, TOO (Day For Night, 1994)

Looks like 1 or 2 missing from the first set and one from the second set - the one from the second set is probably something from WATS
President
New Maybe
New Maybe

Review: 11/29/09: Ancienne Belgique: Brussels, Belgium

Post by President »

For those who speak Dutch... a review by the Belgian journal "De Morgen".
http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/1343/Recen ... ater.dhtml

Here is a translation of the introduction, which is also a +/- summary of this review.

"Opvallend veel Canadezen vonden zondag de weg naar de AB.
Sommigen hadden zelfs een trans-Atlantische vlucht over voor hun nationale trots The Tragically Hip.
De groep onder aanvoering van Gordon Downie tekende in Brussel naar goede gewoonte voor een overweldigende zegetocht, al kwamen ze het eerste uur maar sputterend op kruissnelheid."

"Surprisingly many Canadians found the way towards the AB last Sunday.
Some even had a trans-Atlantic flight to see their national pride, The Tragically Hip.
The band led by Gordon Downie signed in Brussels as usual for an overwhelming triumph,
though the first hour they were sputtering to come at cruising speed."

-> I don't agree with the sputtering part 1.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Re: Review: 11/29/09: Ancienne Belgique: Brussels, Belgium

Post by Tthip »

President wrote:For those who speak Dutch... a review by the Belgian journal "De Morgen".
http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/1343/Recen ... ater.dhtml
Thanks for the link.
Here is Googles translation:

Surprisingly many Canadians found Sunday towards AB. Some even had a trans-Atlantic flight on their national pride The Tragically Hip. The group led by Gordon Downie signed in Brussels as usual for an overwhelming triumph, though the first hour but they were sputtering at cruising speed.

The Canadian indie heroes tasks however clever of land with the unbreakable "New Orleans is Sinking" and the three-part "Suite Depression". A savvy move, for which songs made the strengths of The Tragically Hip directly exposed. With riffs that The Great White North by shaking each other, vocal harmonies that sound as sweet as maple syrup tastes and guitar 's that glowing shine like the aurora borealis, this band around the brightest sign that Canada over the last two decades could wish.

Not least because The Hip is equally well suited for standing on a concert infallible reputation. The name unfortunately they defended so well during the first half of the show - the set was because no apparent reason split into two. During the first part functions "is a First Love" and "Morning Moon" appeared to be slightly off from parent material, such as a mandatory "It 'sa Good Life If You Don" t Weaken or a witty "Poets". The unguided mania frontman Gordon Downie created distance. The singer shows now more physical similarities with a balding clerk, but he behaved during his best songs in a span satyr. In the worst case fell into clownish mannerisms, which he even the fantastic "Courage" to help threatened to turn a corner.

Succulent cherry on the cake
What a difference with the second part, which Downie knew his place, the group came more into the foreground and an acoustic 'Fiddler' s Green "uncontrollable sent chills down your spine." Gift Shop "was then carefully built up a fierce guitar song . Downie saw you now diabolical grin watching his comrades. In "Music @ Work" he bounced back from the drumriser to the monitors. Eventually he emerged into the hall to the fans to sing along, or what we could go.

The succulent bisronde was the icing on the cake. With a grandiose "Grace, Too", a song that ever ended disappointingly enough, led the six-piece band for the ultimate apotheosis. This was a man past highlights like "Springtime in Vienna", "Bobcaygeon" or "Ahead by a Century" are almost forgotten. "It 's Sunday, right? Let 's see if we can make it more like a Tuesday night, "chuckled Downie just for" Fireworks ". We can point to anything he'd make time and space as the proposed meaningless. (Gunter Van Assche)
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana