2011-07-01 - Downsview Park, Toronto

Been to a show? Post your review.
Dark Canuck17
Sherpa
Sherpa

Re: 2011-07-01 - Downsview Park, Toronto

Post by Dark Canuck17 »

This is why I do not do outdoor venues anymore. So glad they announced Peterborough and I then immediately sold my Bobcaygeon. It will all be back to normal on next tour with venues like Massey Hall, Artpark, Hamilton Place etc...time to focus on new album :thumb:
want to be a nobody without peer
want to be a thought that's never done
want to shake your faith in human nature
want to break the hearts of everyone
want to be your wheezing screen door
want to be your stars of Algonquin
want to be your roaring floorboard
want to break the hearts of everyone
Edward_K
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Edward_K »

ok...my Canada Day began by taking 3 friends out on a boat tour of Toronto Island / harbour and then taxi to the subway and north to Downsview and then the 15 - 20 minute walk to the venue.

We had 4 VIP tix and got into the VIP area around 6...The VIP facilities were good - many food and drink vendors and not much wait...the restrooms were the best I have seen for an outside venue. Had a decent back-bacon sandwich eh!

That is pretty much where the positives end.

The VIP location was pretty poor as we were off to the side and when the HIP came on we stayed on the outside and ended up in the very back - their were 4 of us, pretty fit guys and we had to contend with the drunken frat boys who were a complete pain in the a$$...I do not pay 5 bills to bring a few friends to a concert in order to 'protect our patch' of space for 3 hours! so we basically moved to tha back where we had a tiny space - the sound and sight-lines were not good...not what I would expect for a "VIP" area. Jason Spezza and Brian McGratton and a number of other minor celebs were around our area and you coule tell that everyone was less than happy with the venue and tyring to enjoy the conert as much as possible.

Anywho, back when ARA was happening, I was in the US training in the summers so seeing the Hip on Canada Day was pretty cool from a high level and I am glad I went. But I will never do the outside festival venue gig again.

I will stick to seeing the HIP in small venues and hope the pending album's release will facilitate an intimate tour where we can hear them jam and pull out the unplucked gems that we all pine for.

I recently read an article about a Prince concert (and no I am not a Prince fan) at Metropolis in Montreal. Apparently it was one of those evenings where the artist and the crowd 'connected' and Prince ended up playing until 3:30 AM.

Every time I have gone to a Hip concert I have had that 'connected' feeling....except last night.

until next time...Ciao, Edward
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

Now that I've slept, can feel my feet, have had at least one meal (and what was arguably an all-syrup Dr Pepper Big Gulp from 7-Eleven), I can probably try to put some words together on this.

After the experiences in Belleville and Wiarton, I said no more outdoor shows. After Rochester, I amended that to no more outdoor shows in Canada. It's why I didn't jump at Bobcaygeon; past experiences with poorly organized "small town" festivals, combined with the special kind of D-bag fan that shows up for these kinds of events, meant I was going to have a miserable time.

Yet we bought tickets for Downsview, despite knowing what The Hip and Canada Day could turn into. And honestly, because we were prepared, it made for a much better experience than I ever thought it would have.

The two main complaints, outside of the setlist, are of course the idiotic fans up near the front and the gong show that was buying food/drinks/beer. I get these, I do. However, I thought the crowd was rather well behaved - why? Because our group (there nine of us at its peak, three by the fireworks) stayed in the back 40. All of us had seen the band enough times/are all old enough to know when to pick our battles to be close. I've been kicked in the head by idiot crowd surfers too many times as a teenager to still be in that position while pushing 30. That kind of nonsense is part of the cover charge at these events; nothing from my experience suffered by being far so far back. The beer situation wasn't great. While it was refreshing to actually be able to drink a pint anywhere in the park, the antiquated ticket system has to go. However, I'm not going to really complain about not being able to drink more yesterday. I didn't pay $70 to get drunk; I paid $70 to see a rock and roll show. If I got drunk in the process, it would have been welcomed, but it wasn't key to the experience. We actually bought our tickets from a "scalper" who want $70 for 6. We talked him down to $60. Sure it was overpriced, but time and aggravation are money. We had pints in hand by the time Broken Social Scene started getting weird.

Which gets me to what I really liked about the day: the music. We missed Buck 65 and Hey Rosetta, which is too bad, because a couple of us in the group really like both of them. We got in about 10 minutes into BSS. I've never been a fan of their live show, but the "This Movie is Broken" concert film has made me give them a second chance. They'll always be a better studio band, but there's more to their live show now than five-six years ago. Pulling out experimental stuff at a Canada Day Hip show is gutsy and predictably the beer lines got longer. That said, it didn't sound awful and I didn't see anything get thrown toward the stage, so it's a win in my books.

Weezer was exactly what I had expected, with one big exception. They played some newer songs that weren't any good. They gave me a chance to go to the bathroom during "Pork and Beans." They played "Say It Ain't So" instead of "El Scorcho" (thank God). And then they covered Radiohead. It seemed to me a lot of people in the crowd had no idea what "Paranoid Android" was and that's a shame. Scary thing is, Weezer nailed it. It was really, really good.

I'd argue there were a lot more than 30,000 people there by the time The Hip took the stage. The numbers really shocked me. The set was great. Sure, I want to hear "Chagrin Falls," or "Thugs," and maybe 5-6,000 others of us want to as well. But we were outnumbered and that's okay. GD wasn't at his most talkative, but he had a couple of comments. He introed "Love is a First" by saying "sometimes you get in trouble for what you don't say." He dedicated one tune to Will and Kate. Poets featured a "Swim!" outro. They didn't play "Fireworks" or "Springtime," which automatically makes a great set for me. The new songs were winners. "Streets Ahead" sounds like the little cousin of "In View," so I'm interested to hear if there are any keys on the studio version which would help the song out a ton (just like "In View," which has always failed for me live, except during the 2009 tour with Jim Bryson). "Drip Drip" was the one everyone in our group really dug. To me it has this sped-up "Yawning or Snarling" feel to it, like it could have been written in 1994. The harmonies on it are actually pretty solid as well. I liked "Transformation" as a good rocker with a steady bass line that may or may not remind people of "My Sharona" - not entirely, but close enough.

Was it the best Hip concert? Not a chance. But we made a day of it and after learning from mistakes from past outdoor shows, we made what I though were the choices necessary to enjoy as much as we possibly could of the situation. And that's half the battle right there.

See you on the road,

Pat
fingernailsonhull
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by fingernailsonhull »

You guys are really making a great case for me to skip the Edmonton show in a couple of weeks and wait for a theatre show whenever the album comes out.
Jeff

June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
JonesyFlynn
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by JonesyFlynn »

This was my 11th Hip show. Bobcaygeon was my 10th. Honestly, if I ever expected they would play the exact same setlist again, in the exact same order, MINUS the double encore that Bobcaygeon got, I would never have bought tickets to this show. It was a fine show full of good music, but it was the first time I've seen the Hip and felt like it was a robotic, entirely predictable, overly rehearsed show. What's gotten into them this year? Also, as others have mentioned, the beer situation at these festivals is a joke (an expensive one, at that). I don't even pine to see the Hip in the tiniest venue possible. At least in arenas, you can leave your seat, buy a beer, and come back to your seat all within 5-10 minutes. I don't need to get drunk at the Hip, but I don't like having to come up with elaborate battle plans on when to get my beer and how many to get at a time to save the most time and money. The ticket system will never make sense to me. I didn't even bother with it in Bobcaygeon because the whole beer garden situation there was beyond nightmarish. Overall, I enjoyed Bobcaygeon much more though. There were more real Hip fans there, the band seemed in a better mood, and of course, it was the first time I saw that setlist, not the second, like last night was.

Anyway, between ticket, beer and food at this thing yesterday, I spent over $100 to see a Hip show that I saw verbatim 6 days before, minus a double encore. Not too jazzed when I think about that. No Hip show has ever cost me that much, while probably being the most disappointing show yet.

Did I mention the fans were pretty bad? I was directly in front of the soundboard, so not that far back, and I seemed like one of the only few people who knew what was going on. I was the only one in earshot singing the crowd-singing verse of Courage, for example. Hell, nobody seemed to be singing along to anything at all. At the Bobcaygeon show, everyone knew their shit inside and out it seemed. Anyway, that's enough bitching. I did have a good time, believe it or not. BSS and Weezer were fun too. I'm just disappointed and very surprised mainly that The Hip seems to have turned into one of those robot nostalgia bands that plays the same setlist every night, in the same order, and plays just about only hits. Sad.
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

hotmetal401 wrote:Was it the best Hip concert? Not a chance. But we made a day of it and after learning from mistakes from past outdoor shows, we made what I though were the choices necessary to enjoy as much as we possibly could of the situation. And that's half the battle right there.

See you on the road,

Pat
Very good post Pat, puts things in perspecive for us Hipbasers. The only show I am hitting is Windsor tonight. If I had gone to one of the festival shows, I would've had the same anticipations and game plan as you and your group did. Gonna take what we get tonight.
Summiteer
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Summiteer »

fingernailsonhull wrote:You guys are really making a great case for me to skip the Edmonton show in a couple of weeks and wait for a theatre show whenever the album comes out.
I really dont think Edmon will be as bad as the other shows in terms of getting in and out booze (pisshouses,If you've got VIP) etc..., I think it will be great, having said that I think i'm passing it up and waiting
for them to be all warmed up this winter! I think the Racetrack is in a pretty good area where it wont' be a living nightmare to get in and out of,
Last edited by Summiteer on Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

Edward_K wrote:ok...my Canada Day began by taking 3 friends out on a boat tour of Toronto Island / harbour and then taxi to the subway and north to Downsview and then the 15 - 20 minute walk to the venue.

We had 4 VIP tix and got into the VIP area around 6...The VIP facilities were good - many food and drink vendors and not much wait...the restrooms were the best I have seen for an outside venue. Had a decent back-bacon sandwich eh!

That is pretty much where the positives end.

The VIP location was pretty poor as we were off to the side and when the HIP came on we stayed on the outside and ended up in the very back - their were 4 of us, pretty fit guys and we had to contend with the drunken frat boys who were a complete pain in the a$$...I do not pay 5 bills to bring a few friends to a concert in order to 'protect our patch' of space for 3 hours! so we basically moved to tha back where we had a tiny space - the sound and sight-lines were not good...not what I would expect for a "VIP" area. Jason Spezza and Brian McGratton and a number of other minor celebs were around our area and you coule tell that everyone was less than happy with the venue and tyring to enjoy the conert as much as possible.

Anywho, back when ARA was happening, I was in the US training in the summers so seeing the Hip on Canada Day was pretty cool from a high level and I am glad I went. But I will never do the outside festival venue gig again.

I will stick to seeing the HIP in small venues and hope the pending album's release will facilitate an intimate tour where we can hear them jam and pull out the unplucked gems that we all pine for.

I recently read an article about a Prince concert (and no I am not a Prince fan) at Metropolis in Montreal. Apparently it was one of those evenings where the artist and the crowd 'connected' and Prince ended up playing until 3:30 AM.

Every time I have gone to a Hip concert I have had that 'connected' feeling....except last night.

until next time...Ciao, Edward
I kind of feel the same way. The Hip's performance in Charlottetown was actually very, very, very good but I didn't have that connection to the band like I normally do. At every show previously, I would get chills up my spine and there would be moments of just surreal happiness. On June 30, 2011, I had a good time, and the crowd was actually way better than the last time I saw The Hip at Confederation Landing. Even so, there wasn't that "Oh sh*t, this is IT!" moment.
loxahatchee
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by loxahatchee »

bobcaygeon was number 76 for me and i sold my downsview park tickets - no more outdoor shows in canada for me
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

JonesyFlynn wrote: I'm just disappointed and very surprised mainly that The Hip seems to have turned into one of those robot nostalgia bands that plays the same setlist every night, in the same order, and plays just about only hits. Sad.
I gotta disagree with you on that one, as I really don't think that's the case. These are outdoor summer festival shows designed to appeal to the widest audience possible, so most bands tend to stick to playing the hits at these things. Also, nostalgia bands don't try out unreleased new material for crowds of 30,000 people. The Hip are clearly still moving forward as a musical entity. Like most of you, I've done my fair share of bitching when it comes to the identical setlists lately...especially since over the years we've become so used to them giving us a different set every night. But I have a strong feeling that we'll all be eating our words when they tour the new album properly later this year (or next year) and start mixing things up again like they've done for over 20 years. Despite all the negativity on here lately (myself included), I'm still looking forward to the Edmonton show on the 14th, mainly because I haven't seen them in a while and I'm dying for some live Hip, greatest hits or not. After that though, I'm pretty sure I'm done with outdoor Canadian Hip shows. I just don't see myself having the patience to deal with the bullshit that always seems to accompany these kinds of shows. It was fun when I was in my late teens/early 20s, but I can't do it anymore. I'm really looking forward to the new album so I can head down to the U.S. and see the boys in a nice intimate venue again. As a live concert experience, those are the shows that seem to stay with me the longest.
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

spottrax wrote:
hotmetal401 wrote:Was it the best Hip concert? Not a chance. But we made a day of it and after learning from mistakes from past outdoor shows, we made what I though were the choices necessary to enjoy as much as we possibly could of the situation. And that's half the battle right there.

See you on the road,

Pat
Very good post Pat, puts things in perspecive for us Hipbasers. The only show I am hitting is Windsor tonight. If I had gone to one of the festival shows, I would've had the same anticipations and game plan as you and your group did. Gonna take what we get tonight.
Sold my VIPs for Downsview and bought myself a pair of 6th row tix for Windsor tonight. :thumb:
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

Happy I didn't buy tickets for Edmonton.
Looking forward to a theater tour
cbeach401
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by cbeach401 »

This was my fifth time seeing them in an outdoor festival and it was probably the best one. I wasn't too impressed with the show, but I had a good time. Crowd wasn't too bad in terms of drunken douchebags. I don't try to have expectations when it comes to setlists, but I can't say I was surprised how hits-heavy it was. I guess knowing going into it isn't so bad. Hopefully we get a good arena/theatre/club tour this fall-winter.

I did have to laugh when they played "The Kids Don't Get It" - I couldn't think of a better sentiment to describe the crowd. :wink:

For the other acts, Weezer were great, though I'm still a fan of them. Say what you will for their studio output, but they put on a fun show. Broken Social Scene and Hey Rosetta! I knew a bit, but that was a real introduction to me. I definitely have to pick up some more music from them. Buck 65, I like what I've heard of his before, but my take on him yesterday was the same as when he opened for the Hip in London back in '07- he tried too hard. I like the studio recordings of his I have, but live I'm just not digging it.
mrsardo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mrsardo »

The show was awesome! I will go to see the Hip wherever, whenever!
It was my first time seeing Weezer live -- they sure know how to work a crowd, and they really look like they still enjoying playing together. Broken Social Scene was another surprising highlight for me, though the shifting lead-vocalists was a bit disorienting. Hey Rosetta was just okay for me -- a little too bland for my tastes, and Buck 65 was crazy as f**k! I loved his zombie song, but the rest of the set was mostly just surreally-awful (and in a way that kinda made it great!). I kept thinking he should be a character in the Trailer Park boys.

So, despite the setlist, and Gord's strained voice, the Hip were amazing as usual!
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

I may have to eat my words in the Bobcaygeon thread about liking huge, outdoor Hip shows. :scratch:

Last night was a little over crowded for my liking. What a terribly scary set up. A bowl-like configuration, with what seemed like only one way to get out - the back. I got there during Weezer - took the Keele bus up hoping it would be less congested than the shuttles, and it was, so had no problems getting there.

I got in, got my VIP wristband, and then entered the beer area to learn that was all "VIP" was good for. Exited that, and spent 20mins trying to get across the back to check out the merchandise table. Then spent 20mins trying to get back across, all with the hopes of finding a decent spot wayyyyyy at the back. Stood there for Weezer (who I didn't think were all that bad), then decided I needed a better spot for the Hip.

Realized that you couldn't see a frickin' thing at the back, and I didn't spend $125 on a VIP ticket to not see anything! So I headed back over into the VIP beer area and found a decent spot on the little hill. So that was my spot for the night. I knew the songs before they started and chuckled when the others around me clued in to the song. Lots of room to move and get into the music, so that's what I did. Spent the night just enjoying the music.

Highlight: the lighters during Fiddlers. From the back it looked really really pretty and was so fitting.

I knew I had to get the heck out of dodge before 30,000 other people, so I headed out as Bones was finishing (heck, I already knew what the encore would be, so I was cool with missing it). I headed back to the Keele bus, which happened to be right there, and headed for home.

Any regrets in going? Absolutely not! I never regret seeing these guys. I like to sing along, and I like to dance. The more shows I can do that at, the better! :thumb: