2011-07-01 - Downsview Park, Toronto

Been to a show? Post your review.
chris
The Last Recluse

2011-07-01 - Downsview Park, Toronto

Post by chris »

Since there isn't a 2011 Touring section yet...

TTC is the way to get there. Plan your route at www.ttc.ca.
$3.00 is the cash fare.
paulster2626
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Re: 2011-07-01 - Downsview Park, Toronto

Post by paulster2626 »

All-in for this one. I guess I could take the subway up to Downsview, but what stop would one get off at? Wilson or Downsview? Downsview park seems to be on the opposite side of the airport than the subway.
tragically.pat
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by tragically.pat »

anybody know if the tee/poster bundle is new stuff for the Canada day concert or just using up old supplies?
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

Confused. Does anybody see a place to get the American Express early bird priced GA tickets?
Scotty12
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by Scotty12 »

mojo_mattv wrote:Confused. Does anybody see a place to get the American Express early bird priced GA tickets?
I believe the AMEX presale is 'front of the line' for cardholders, while the early bird for hip registered fans hasnt went onsale yet

bstrauss24 wrote:The way they ran Danforth was sweet right before the WATS tour started. Only fan club and tickets had to picked up at the door. It was a great idea.
There were some hiccups and stress getting in but it felt like the bands heart was in the right place. Once I was inside the intimate venue it was easy to forget about the hassle, soak up the atmosphere and enjoy the new tunes!

I'll be living in Vegas for the WSOP during June/July and will happily cancel my annual Canada Day desert party to fly home and catch this show! Part of me wants to say 'f**k it, you're going to spend so much on airfare you might as well spring for the VIP!' ... but I imagine most of my friends will just go for GA and I will enjoy it more in the crowd with them

Hoping the tour announcement will contain a couple other dates that I can hit - ideally in May or August!
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

Scotty12 wrote:
mojo_mattv wrote:Confused. Does anybody see a place to get the American Express early bird priced GA tickets?
I believe the AMEX presale is 'front of the line' for cardholders, while the early bird for hip registered fans hasnt went onsale yet
Thanks, misread it!
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

I was surprised to see AMEX had both GA and VIP tix available. Didn't see a VIP Parking option anywhere though.
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Pretty good lineup for this thing, although I'm not a big fan of Weezer these days. Those guys haven't made a decent record since "Maladroit". Anyways, it's always exciting when the Hip announce that they're coming out of hiding. I'm betting that they'll debut some new material at this gig. There's nothing like hearing new Hip songs live for the first time. I get butterflies just thinking about it.
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

direwolf74 wrote: Anyways, it's always exciting when the Hip announce that they're coming out of hiding. I'm betting that they'll debut some new material at this gig.
I think it'll be further into this alleged "summer tour" before we get any new material, can't see them doing it at a festival show with these other bands on the bill. Think it'll be a greatest hits show, I'm gonna sit this one out and wait on (hopefully) some more Southern Ontario summer shows.
Almost Hip
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Almost Hip »

Pre-sale went pretty smooth, pumped to have tickets, pretty pricey but Hip on Canada Day is worth it anytime!
anyone else have the need to listen to Yawning or Snarling after?? I know I did :music
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

direwolf74 wrote:Pretty good lineup for this thing, although I'm not a big fan of Weezer these days. Those guys haven't made a decent record since "Maladroit". Anyways, it's always exciting when the Hip announce that they're coming out of hiding. I'm betting that they'll debut some new material at this gig. There's nothing like hearing new Hip songs live for the first time. I get butterflies just thinking about it.
Yeah, Weezer haven't been putting out superb records as of late but their worst material is still better than the best material of BSS. I'd be going to this show if I lived in Toronto. Hip, Weezer (they'd play enough of their great songs to make it worth it), and Hey Rosetta sounds like a good lineup to me. I couldn't care less about BSS or Buck 65.
Axis
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Axis »

tigerthelion wrote:I couldn't care less about BSS
That's too bad, Broken put on an amazing show and forgiveness rock record is a work of art.
ashtrayrock
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ashtrayrock »

Axis wrote:
tigerthelion wrote:I couldn't care less about BSS
That's too bad, Broken put on an amazing show and forgiveness rock record is a work of art.
not sure if anyone here caught that free bss show at harbourfront(toronto) a couple years ago but that show was incredible and was my first and only time seeing them. 2nd time will be at this cda day hip fest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe9Y5u5Equk
Broken Social Scene - 7/4 (Shoreline) ft. Feist (Live) @ Harbourfront Centre 7/11/09
crazykid
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by crazykid »

me and my gf opted for the VIP tickets on this show... were kinda pumped, it will be a great show, Weezer played Sarnia bayfest last year and it was apparently one of the best shows of the weekend... so combine them with the hip - should be a good time.

Anyone else get the flashback feeling of the ARA days with a festival style show, the concert logo... etc

I wonder why they didnt go for markham fairgrounds? Coulda thrown us all back in time... LOL
BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

I have had these "VIP" tickets qued up and ready to purchase several times and I just cant bring myself around to commiting.Not sure if its because I have been spoiled with intimate shows,the price,or that Im not 19 and captain Canada any longer,,,,or a combination of all the above? If I do go I will wait last minute and score a cheap ticket.Some of us dont want to be reminded of ARA days.lol.I too will wait with anticipation for future announcements.