2011-07-01 - Downsview Park, Toronto

Been to a show? Post your review.
jgardz
Sherpa
Sherpa

Re: 2011-07-01 - Downsview Park, Toronto

Post by jgardz »

BIGVDOGG wrote:I have had these "VIP" tickets qued up and ready to purchase several times and I just cant bring myself around to commiting.Not sure if its because I have been spoiled with intimate shows,the price,or that Im not 19 and captain Canada any longer,,,,or a combination of all the above? If I do go I will wait last minute and score a cheap ticket.Some of us dont want to be reminded of ARA days.lol.I too will wait with anticipation for future announcements.
My exact thoughts...I loved shows like this as a teen, now I crave small venues where I can watch the show without all the hassles.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

jgardz wrote:
BIGVDOGG wrote:I have had these "VIP" tickets qued up and ready to purchase several times and I just cant bring myself around to commiting.Not sure if its because I have been spoiled with intimate shows,the price,or that Im not 19 and captain Canada any longer,,,,or a combination of all the above? If I do go I will wait last minute and score a cheap ticket.Some of us dont want to be reminded of ARA days.lol.I too will wait with anticipation for future announcements.
My exact thoughts...I loved shows like this as a teen, now I crave small venues where I can watch the show without all the hassles.
Ditto.

I know I'll go, but I'm having a tough time making the purchase.
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

Yup, I can't do these big outdoor concerts anymore. For $150 i want to be first 5 rows in an assigned seated atmosphere where I don't have to spend all day outside in the sun waiting for 9:00.
cochise
Completist
Completist

Post by cochise »

chris wrote:
jgardz wrote:
Ditto.

I know I'll go, but I'm having a tough time making the purchase.

I went to see Rush at the Ottawa Bluesfest last summer. After about an hour of waiting, with the pushing and shoving.........well I realized that I am just getting too old for outdoor GA shows. It was a fantastic concert and I have no regrets about going, but give me a "Summer Fling" any day over that. Besides, I have too many fond memories of ARA 93 and 95 that I doubt I could ever top anyways.

I think I am going to pass this up and cross my fingers we'll see a "2011 Summer Fling Tour". But, if nothing is announced as the date draws closer, I'll probably break down and buy tickets for Downsview.
Dark Canuck17
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by Dark Canuck17 »

Sign of getting older guys that is us...I am out too I hate GA concerts if it was just The Hip and a set list like We are the Same tour and did not have to wait all day in the scorching sun with possible rain I would be in!

The way I look at it a new album soon and tour to follow with the money saved for VIP because that is pretty much the only way I would do it will get me an extra show on the new album tour.

Everyone else going have fun!
want to be a nobody without peer
want to be a thought that's never done
want to shake your faith in human nature
want to break the hearts of everyone
want to be your wheezing screen door
want to be your stars of Algonquin
want to be your roaring floorboard
want to break the hearts of everyone
sadohert
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by sadohert »

<sigh>.... I have to say I'm in the same camp as the last few posters and I don't like it one bit.... then again July it'll have been more than a year and a half since my last Hip show (Kitchener Aud in 2009) which feels like an eternity... I need my fix!

Ugh... still not sure what I'll do here. Other conflicting plans that weekend are making this tougher.

I'll get there... one way or another I'll get there.
Gusthepolarbear12
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Gusthepolarbear12 »

Lol everyone sounds like a bunch of 60 year olds, Ive been waiting for another Hip show where Im not confined to a theatre seat. Although the intimate shows are awesome, nothing beats the hip outdoors on a summer night!
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by The Heron Outside »

I think there's merit to both sides of the coin here. Yes, large outdoor shows bring a certain crowd that might not hang on Gord's every word or drool at every one of Bobby's guitar licks. This is the nature of the beast. I think we can all admit that The Hip's popularity isn't what it once was, and if they want to play these kinds of large, outdoor shows (Which the entire band has admitted in the past is their favourite way to play) then they must bring along other bands.

Still, you can argue that every band on the bill will attract a "Music lover" in the audience, which is what the band seems to be after, all the time?

On the other hand, intimate shows do offer the kind of personal memories that hold more clout in the long run. We know these kinds of shows will happen in the future, but why not catch the band in a variety of venues? Won't that make you appreciate those tiny shows all the more?

A Hip show, like pizza, is still pretty good, even when it's kind of bad.
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
sherpa
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sherpa »

where's my teeth?
ashtrayrock
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ashtrayrock »

my hair is now white(=older than grey)
i bought vip cause i want a little intimacy and can afford the upgrade and i think it's definitely worth it
i'm totally pumped about seeing the other bands and making a big day of it
canada day on a friday in toronto does not get better than this
even if they do the festival setlist i'm good with that

loved ga orillia
loved ga fort york
loved ga ara
etc etc etc

and as cesar rosas says "welcome music lovers"
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Mr. Lahey »

Great! Ticketmaster wont refresh!!!! TYPICAL!
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Mr. Lahey »

f**k f**k f**k
googolplex
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by googolplex »

Tried to order, got to the payment page, put in my credit card and it gave me an error.

When I tried to do the transaction again it says there are no more tickets available.

So now I guess I have to pay the higher price, but I don't even see the option to buy those now, even though the hip's site seems to reflect that you can get the regular priced ones on presale today.
tigerthelion88
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by tigerthelion88 »

Presale Day
Last edited by tigerthelion88 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Mr. Lahey »

Finally got a pair!! But had to get the $70 ones. Don't care just happy to snag 2!