2011-07-01 - Downsview Park, Toronto

Been to a show? Post your review.
Pesmo
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Re: 2011-07-01 - Downsview Park, Toronto

Post by Pesmo »

Oddly enough, worked just fine for me. Got two early bird tickets, saved 20 dollars. Just sayin' :)

Cant freaking wait for this! Moving to Ottawa for the Summer, but going to come back just for this (plus its my Bday on Canada day....hopefully it will be an amazing day :P)
googolplex
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by googolplex »

I'm pretty irritated by that. I had time left on the counter, had put in my card and everything and it just gave me an error. I probably will try for the edge presale to get the cheaper price again and then if I don't get that I'll just get the regular price tickets then or on Saturday. Downsview is a big place, so I doubt it will sell out in any fashion any time soon.

Still, very irritating.
tigerthelion88
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by tigerthelion88 »

im curious on that one too -- Will it sell out? It is the Hip after all!! does anyone know Downsviews capacity by any chance
tkkarpen
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by tkkarpen »

I was surprised how easy the pre-sale went for me. Got two early bird tickets with no problems. I was also wondering how many tickets they may be selling, I know Downsview can hold a ton of people.
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

I had trouble getting early birds. Going in at 10:01 gave me a no tickets available page. By 10:15 I had a pair at regular price. Oh well.

My goal for this show: that it's a lot more like Edgefest 2003 and a lot less like Belleville 08/Wiarton 09.

Cheers,

Pat
Flamenco
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Flamenco »

Tickets are advertised at $49.99. Ticket master applies at $10+ service charge. So now we're at $61+. I attempted to buy two tickets and the total price per ticket is $71.15. WTF?

Doesn't seem reasonable for a GA pre-sale? Or GA period.

Just had another look at the email. I guess I missed the early bird so tickets are priced at $60. Then with the ticket master service charge the total arrives at $71.15. Crazy!!
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

tkkarpen wrote:I was surprised how easy the pre-sale went for me. Got two early bird tickets with no problems. I was also wondering how many tickets they may be selling, I know Downsview can hold a ton of people.
Downsview Park is actually an airport where a number of large festivals have been staged, including Molson Canadian Rocks for Toronto (SARS-a-palooza) where the Rolling Stones\ACDC\Rush and others brought in 450,000 to 500,000 people in 2003. Its actually the largest outdoor concert event in Canadian history.

I would anticipate 30K-50K for this Hip show which would be similar to ARA at Markham Fairgrounds and Edenfest at Mosport Speedway, both similar in nature i.e. The Hip headlining for a number of bands.
Last edited by thebends on Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

Gusthepolarbear12 wrote:Lol everyone sounds like a bunch of 60 year olds, Ive been waiting for another Hip show where Im not confined to a theatre seat. Although the intimate shows are awesome, nothing beats the hip outdoors on a summer night!
Agreed, large outdoor shows are a completely different and wonderful beast. At 46 years old and well over 100 hip shows under my belt I no longer seek out these types of events unless there is a VIP option. This is what we do for our anual treks to Coachella and Lollapalooza, and while not cheap for us its a must and well worth the money!
tkkarpen
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by tkkarpen »

thebends wrote:
tkkarpen wrote:I was surprised how easy the pre-sale went for me. Got two early bird tickets with no problems. I was also wondering how many tickets they may be selling, I know Downsview can hold a ton of people.
Downsview Park is actually an airport where a number of large festivals have been staged, including Molson Canadian Rocks for Toronto (SARS-a-palooza) where the Rolling Stones\ACDC\Rush and others brought in 450,000 to 500,000 people in 2003. Its actually the largest outdoor concert event in Canadian history.

I would anticipate 30K-50K for this Hip show which would be similar to ARA at Markham Fairgrounds and Edenfest at Mosport Speedway, both similar in nature i.e. The Hip headlining for a number of bands.
I remember that they had SARS stock (or whatever you want to call it) there, didn't realize how many people actually showed up for it though, that is impressive. I didn't know if they would cap to number of tickets sold to this, I am going to assume it will be similar to Edgefest '03.
MAverick
Completist
Completist

Post by MAverick »

thebends wrote:

Hey Folks, this is not the same venue as the stones. I believe, technically, it is Edgefest venue. My guess is it is closer to 20,000 - should be pretty intimate for outdoor.
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

MAverick wrote:
thebends wrote:

Hey Folks, this is not the same venue as the stones. I believe, technically, it is Edgefest venue. My guess is it is closer to 20,000 - should be pretty intimate for outdoor.
Thanks clarification Mav! Does that mean its a diferent facility configuration at Downsview or a different location?
tigerthelion88
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by tigerthelion88 »

thanks Mav
BDS28
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BDS28 »

Generally festival shows at Downsview get the small area near the front (portions may even be on pavement or the stage at least), while the SARS stock used the whole property, including storage areas, runways, etc
crazykid
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by crazykid »

did anyone else who purchased VIP tickets get the email regarding the parking today???

I replied yes... just curious as to if anyone else got the email.
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

crazykid wrote:did anyone else who purchased VIP tickets get the email regarding the parking today???

I replied yes... just curious as to if anyone else got the email.
I got one too. It stated that because it was a Ticketmaster "error" they are offering 1 free VIP parking pass. Sweet!