Been to a show? Post your review.
cbeach401
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Re: 2011-07-01 - Downsview Park, Toronto

Post by cbeach401 »

nhaste wrote:For those who are wondering exactly where the concert site is:

http://www.downsviewpark.ca/media/TheHipMap.pdf

I wasn't sure- it's pretty well the opposite end of the airfield from where I entered for SARSfest, so good thing you posted this. Thanks!
Lucky13
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Lucky13 »

What is the right TTC exit? Downsview Station or Downsview Park?
Hard Canadian
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hard Canadian »

Does anyone have a list of items that are aloud and forbidden? I've tried searching on the Downsview website but couldn't find anything. I just want to bring a school bag with a small blanket inside and somewhere to put my "Courage" T-shirt when I buy it. Anyone know what merch was at the previous shows?
Edward_K
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Edward_K »

I sent an email to goldenvoice / hip ticketing to find out about the set up for the "vip" area for this show. (Goldenvoice are the folks that sent an email about the parking and hopefully will respond - I will post if/once they do).

Having said that, can anyone provide insight into the vip set up and facilities for Downsview park? the caged in section at Peterborough looked pretty week.... .... ....

Very much appreciated and looking forward to my hip fix...I am bringing 3 friends and for two of them, this will be their first (but not last) Hip show.

Salut, Edward
smadabeer
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by smadabeer »

Hard Canadian wrote:Does anyone have a list of items that are aloud and forbidden? I've tried searching on the Downsview website but couldn't find anything. I just want to bring a school bag with a small blanket inside and somewhere to put my "Courage" T-shirt when I buy it. Anyone know what merch was at the previous shows?
I sent an email to the park asking what was allowed and got this reply:

What can and cannot be brought into the Tragically Hip concert is controlled by the (third-party) concert promoter, not the Park itself. Below is the list provided to Downsview Park from Goldenvoice.

Dos and Don’ts for The Tragically Hip Concert
NO Knives / Weapons Etc.
NO Blankets
NO Outside Food & Bev
NO Camelpacks
NO Tents
NO Flags
NO Tailgating in Parking Lots
NO Refunds or Exchanges or Cancellations
NO Chairs
NO Video Cameras
NO Audio Recording Devices
NO Professional Cameras
NO Pets
NO Drugs & Drug Paraphernalia
NO Umbrellas
NO Coolers

OK Backpacks (small)
OK Hats
OK Sun Block
OK Lighters
OK Cell Phones
OK Sunglasses
OK Cigarettes
OK Small Beach Towel
OK All Ages Welcome
OK Fanny Packs
OK Digital Cameras (Non-Pro)
OK Disposable Cameras
OK Film Cameras (Non-Pro)
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

For those interested, Hey Rosetta! one of the openers this Friday (and a band worth watching/listening to if you ask me) just put out a free "live in the studio" EP on NoiseTrade. Cheap way to familiarize yourself with their style before the show http://noisetrade.com/heyrosetta
Edward_K
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Edward_K »

just received a reply from Goldenvoice, which is based in L.A. so referred me to to thehip.com

"Per the Tragically Hip site, here are the VIP facilities:

The VIP ticket will give you ' Fast Pass ' access into the venue, access to the VIP Area with its own cash bar, food vendors and washrooms. The VIP area is 19+ only. There are also a limited number of VIP parking passes available, that will give you access to a separate parking lot. Only one person per car will require a VIP parking pass. You will need to bring photo ID to gain access to the parking lot, as well as the ' Fast Pass ' entrance.

We were not involved with the Watertown or Peterborough shows... ... ...

...Enjoy the show!

xxxxxxxxxxx
Goldenvoice / AEG Live
5750 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 501
Los Angeles, CA 90036"

If anyone has experience at Downview Park, would greatly appreciate hearing their expectations etc...for the vip area and the site in general....

Thanks again, EK
srb
Completist
Completist

Post by srb »

smadabeer wrote: NO Video Cameras
This blows.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

srb wrote:
This blows.
At High Dough.

But it's rarely stopped us in the past. And I'm not sure why that's the policy as The Hip, Weezer and BSS are all open to taping.
srb
Completist
Completist

Post by srb »

chris wrote:
srb wrote:
This blows.
At High Dough.

But it's rarely stopped us in the past. And I'm not sure why that's the policy as The Hip, Weezer and BSS are all open to taping.
Any idea if the Hip can override?
Edward_K
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Edward_K »

Fyi - the show is sold out at 27,000 people which includes a 2,000 person 'VIP' area.

All us herded beings....baup ba da da.

cheers!
tkkarpen
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by tkkarpen »

Heading into Toronto early Friday, staying downtown near the Convention Center. What are some good bars (big fan of dive bars, or anything non-chain) in either that area or a subway ride away? Looking for somewhere to have a few beers before riding up to the show and probably something after as well. Been to Toronto a number of times, but never have found a local bar that is a must visit each time.
Edward_K
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Edward_K »

tkkarpen wrote:Heading into Toronto early Friday, staying downtown near the Convention Center. What are some good bars (big fan of dive bars, or anything non-chain) in either that area or a subway ride away? Looking for somewhere to have a few beers before riding up to the show and probably something after as well. Been to Toronto a number of times, but never have found a local bar that is a must visit each time.
hmm, tough one for me as I am out of that scene...however, Horseshoe Tavern, the Rivoli, and Black-bull on Queen St. W between John St and Spadina are/were decent and their are a number of other smaller and larger spots within that couple of blocks with non corporate scenes...pubs / patios / clubs etc.

interested in others thoughts here and enjoy!
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

Edward_K wrote:2,000 person 'VIP' area.
I'd say that was about the size of the show in Moncton last night.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Lucky13 wrote:What is the right TTC exit? Downsview Station or Downsview Park?
Hard Canadian wrote:Does anyone have a list of items that are aloud and forbidden?
http://tinyurl.com/4xfklqb
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana