2011-07-01 - Downsview Park, Toronto

Been to a show? Post your review.
johnwblake
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Re: 2011-07-01 - Downsview Park, Toronto

Post by johnwblake »

Heading to the Downsview and Windsor shows, tomorrow and Saturday. Does anyone think they will break out some seldom heard tracks at either one of these shows? I'm expecting Downsview to be the same or close to the same as the Bobcaygeon & Peterborough shows, but am hoping the smaller venue in Windsor provides the opportunity for some seldom heard stuff. Personally I'd be in my glee if they played anyone of the following songs:

The Dark Canuck
The Dire Wolf
The Drop-off
Emperor Penguin
Cordelia
Vaccination Scar
The Darkest One

Oh well, hope everyone enjoys the show at Downsview Park!
Ry222
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Ry222 »

out of those 7 you listed, I'd guess you'd be most likely to hear The Drop Off, however to even hear that, your chances are very slim considering the past 4 shows have seen identical set lists...all of those are great wishes though :thumb:
BuffaloHipFan
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BuffaloHipFan »

Looks like same set for all shows.
11/26/96 Buffalo
8/7/98 Wattsburg, PA
7/29/00 Darien, NY
8/1/02 Toronto
9/1/02 Darien, NY
7/28/04 Darien, NY
6/17/06 Lewiston, NY
10/25/06 Toronto
3/10/07 Buffalo
6/30/07 Lewiston, NY
7/1/07 Lewiston, NY
11/2/07 Rochester
6/4/09 Lewiston, NY
7/1/11 Toronto
7/30/11 Buffalo
6/30/12 Niagara-on-the-Lake
11/2/12 Cleveland
8/2/13 Buffalo
4/8/15 Buffalo
8/14/16 Toronto
Hard Canadian
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hard Canadian »

Leaving my house for the show shortly.... HAPPY CANADA DAY TO EVERYONE AT HIPBASE!!!! HIP! HIP! HIP!
andy42g
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by andy42g »

Y'all have fun now. :thumb:
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

Jealous that I'm missing this show, not jealous of all the gag inducing nationalism you'll surely endure at it. Everyone have fun!
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

????? :jump
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

Setlist was bobcaygeon minus the 2nd encore. How exciting?!?!? Could they not have at least switched Kids for something else?

Glad I didn't waste money on anymore shows this summer.
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Mr. Lahey »

Downsview park was absolutely jammed. Definately a drunken horror show. The boys played great and sounded tight however the concert experience was garbage and it ruined any enjoyment I tried to have of the Hip.

Positives: Even though the setlist was predictable and the same as other nights I still enjoyed their delivery. The new songs sounded great and Transformation so far is the top tune. I agree with a previous review that said Gord S. really stands out with this one and it does have a very cool Day for Night feel. Many reviews of Streets Ahead were weak but I thought it had a great sound and once people hear it clearly on the album I bet it will be thought of better. Drip Drip is OK, need another listen. Hearing Fiddler's full electric was wicked and Bobcaygeon cheered me up towards the end. Always love Good Life and Grace as an opener again is killer.

Negatives: My girlfriend and I were about 6 rows from the front (Robbie's spot) during Weezer but halfway through their performance the crowd surfers and frisbee tosses were increasing steadily. Time to relocate! We tried the very front of the soundboard but that then became an express way for every drunk pushy asshole to shove his/her way through to go all different directions. The ground also sunk down in that spot so I could barely see the band and I'm 6'3"! We then made it alllll the way to the back corner near a fenced off family area and though there was much more space there, it turns out no spot on the grounds was idiot proof! The vendors ran out of water around 7ish which sucked bigtime. Not a big drinker at concerts but getting one early on wasn't too troublesome.

I guess it was very niave of me to think this show wouldn't be much worse than Zwick's in Belleville or Fort York but it was three fold. I would've greatly enjoyed the Hip if not for all the annoyance around me. I think it's time to resist the next large outdoor show they put on and stick to the smaller club multi-night stands. Even arena shows are fine as nobody can run us over and throw shit (oh...glowsticks anyone?).

This show would've been fine if you wanted to get absolutely wasted, act like a moron and not care about anyone around you or even what's on stage, but that's my style. Call me anal but it is what it is. I get that these shows are always this way, but you can't even enjoy the freaking music!

Couldn't spot any tapers or tripods. Maybe they had no luck getting their gear in? There was one tall microphone setup in front of the SB but figured it was the crew.

We left the second they turned Nautical back into NOIS to beat the 25,000 people back to the TTC buses. We caught one quite easily and are so thankful we didn't have to wait behind thousands of people. Turns out we didn't miss much of an encore.

I rank this last out of the 17 shows I've seen, not because of the Hip, because of the overall experience. Good money poorly spent.
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

Agreed! I've never been to a Hip show where I've wanted it to end before. Definitely the lowlight of all the shows I've been to.
BakersBrew
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BakersBrew »

nhaste wrote:Agreed! I've never been to a Hip show where I've wanted it to end before. Definitely the lowlight of all the shows I've been to.
I know exactly what you mean. They just arent the heavyweights they used to be. Now I relate to the people who say "they are just another bar band." I don't understand how bands can mail it in when they are signing for 400 hundred thousand dollars. I guess they figure we will just keep showing up...and we do.
BuffaloHipFan
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BuffaloHipFan »

What a joke of a concert experience. An hour wait for a "ticket" to buy a 12 oz. $8 beer, then another hour wait to actually get the beer and a 2 beer limit and only serving Budweiser! $7 for a frozen burger. $5 for a bottled water.

I'll stick to seeing the hip in the states. No thank you Canada. The actual show was good.

Looking forward to the Buffalo Place show. On the waterfront, less people, $3.50 Labatts, food vendors from real local restaurants, plus you can tailgate. :thumb:
11/26/96 Buffalo
8/7/98 Wattsburg, PA
7/29/00 Darien, NY
8/1/02 Toronto
9/1/02 Darien, NY
7/28/04 Darien, NY
6/17/06 Lewiston, NY
10/25/06 Toronto
3/10/07 Buffalo
6/30/07 Lewiston, NY
7/1/07 Lewiston, NY
11/2/07 Rochester
6/4/09 Lewiston, NY
7/1/11 Toronto
7/30/11 Buffalo
6/30/12 Niagara-on-the-Lake
11/2/12 Cleveland
8/2/13 Buffalo
4/8/15 Buffalo
8/14/16 Toronto
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

BuffaloHipFan wrote:The actual show was good
Excellent news!

As for the rest of your experience... Sounds the same as Bobcaygeon.
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

chris wrote:
BuffaloHipFan wrote:The actual show was good
Excellent news!

As for the rest of your experience... Sounds the same as Bobcaygeon.
Actually, I'd say it was worse than Bobcaygeon (with the exception of getting out, which was a faster at Downsview). Bobcaygeon there was way, way more space to move around, less drunken buffoons, and the food wait was much shorter. I think the beer situation was similar at both except at Downsview you could drink wherever you wanted. These new liquor laws seem to have done absolutely nothing to improve the festival experience, at all.
jkdiamond
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by jkdiamond »

Have to agree with the above posters. The show was good enough, the concert experience itself sucked. Downsview is a horrible venue, everything about it is a pain in the ass and the crowd was just obnoxious.

Not a positive experience for me at all. Very disappointed I didn't go to Super Ball for this. I highly doubt I'll ever go to another Downsview show again, and if that's the future crowd at Hip shows, I don't know if I'll be going to another.