2011-07-01 - Downsview Park, Toronto

Been to a show? Post your review.
ashtrayrock
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Re: 2011-07-01 - Downsview Park, Toronto

Post by ashtrayrock »

crazykid wrote:did anyone else who purchased VIP tickets get the email regarding the parking today???

I replied yes... just curious as to if anyone else got the email.
i got this email but am taking the subway
very cool of them to offer it for free for 48hrs to vip'ers
WesleyC.
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by WesleyC. »

Gusthepolarbear12 wrote:Lol everyone sounds like a bunch of 60 year olds, Ive been waiting for another Hip show where Im not confined to a theatre seat. Although the intimate shows are awesome, nothing beats the hip outdoors on a summer night!
Im glad you said it first, Yea sure im 44 now and not 24 anymore but still those ARA shows were awsome due to the lineups. I mean the bands and not for the porta potties. This lineup is nowhere near the caliber of the 93 shows or 95 shows. But as for outside venue without seating. Yea its nice to sit down but I like being able to walk around and soak up the atmosphere. For all the old guys who want seats, well yall can stay home and watch our videos on youtube as you sit on your computer chairs. hehehhehehehhe
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

WesleyC. wrote:
Gusthepolarbear12 wrote:Lol everyone sounds like a bunch of 60 year olds, Ive been waiting for another Hip show where Im not confined to a theatre seat. Although the intimate shows are awesome, nothing beats the hip outdoors on a summer night!
Im glad you said it first, Yea sure im 44 now and not 24 anymore but still those ARA shows were awsome due to the lineups. I mean the bands and not for the porta potties. This lineup is nowhere near the caliber of the 93 shows or 95 shows. But as for outside venue without seating. Yea its nice to sit down but I like being able to walk around and soak up the atmosphere. For all the old guys who want seats, well yall can stay home and watch our videos on youtube as you sit on your computer chairs. hehehhehehehhe

I'm 22, definitely not an old guy. Love outdoor shows, hate sit down venues. Still hesitating on this show because it's an outdoor show in T.O. on Canada Day with 4 other bands. I can only put up with some many drunken fratboy nationalists getting into fist fights at one show, and this sounds like one where it'll be teeming with them. I love partying in an outdoor crowd with thousands of people, hate it when you've gotta be on constant guard so your girlfriend doesn't get punched in the back of the head or crushed because a group of douchebags decides they've showed up for the end of the concert, want to get up front and go in elbows up. I'm planning on waiting it out until some other shows are announced and making my pick from there.
JT_Stone
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by JT_Stone »

tigerthelion88 wrote:im curious on that one too -- Will it sell out? It is the Hip after all!! does anyone know Downsviews capacity by any chance

I would bet that it "will not" sell out. This venue has been used for the 480,000 person SARSSTOCK & the 800,000+ for the pope. With that said I know the capacity can not be reached. Yet the only question I ask is will the promoter and or the band put a capacity limit on the show them selves?
sadohert
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by sadohert »

I've been periodically checking to make sure I can still get tickets of whichever kind I decide to go with (VIP versus regular GA). I seem to be able to order 4 regular GA. A single VIP. Or a single VIP with parking. But whenever I try to choose 2 VIP it tells me there are no tickets of that type available... ..seems strange. Is there literally only a single VIP ticket remaining?!
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

Someone is selling up to 8 VIP tix on e-bay for $435 US each. Highway robbery.
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
kvisser
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by kvisser »

mojo_mattv wrote:
WesleyC. wrote:

I'm 22, definitely not an old guy. Love outdoor shows, hate sit down venues. Still hesitating on this show because it's an outdoor show in T.O. on Canada Day with 4 other bands. I can only put up with some many drunken fratboy nationalists getting into fist fights at one show, and this sounds like one where it'll be teeming with them. I love partying in an outdoor crowd with thousands of people, hate it when you've gotta be on constant guard so your girlfriend doesn't get punched in the back of the head or crushed because a group of douchebags decides they've showed up for the end of the concert, want to get up front and go in elbows up. I'm planning on waiting it out until some other shows are announced and making my pick from there.
I agree - I was pumped when it was announced, but having trouble actually pulling the trigger on this one. Canada day shows are fun, but with the extra parking hassle/drunk idiot factor it may not be worth the trouble when they may be playing at a better venue. Plus the fact that this will definitely be a festival type show with a festival type setlist - will probably get a better 'die hard' set at a different venue...
sadohert
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by sadohert »

This is really hilarious to me... I never knew this kind of in depth comparison/discussion was buried behind the contrast between a small intimate venue and a big outdoor festival.

I've been all over the place on this. Hearing and relating to everyones perspectives. Fort York was outdoor and bigger than, say, Centre in the Square in Kitchener. Had a great time there. Some guy literally whipped it out and took a piss on the grass right beside us which made for a few solid laughes from the girls....but man what a killer show it was. Last of the unplucked gems always springs to mind. Then there was Canada Day 2004 at Amphitheatre. Afternoon started out with someone in the group taking one of our consumables a little too far and "losing it" for about an hour... then there was some random guy who seriously whigged out on whatever he was on and caused a big comotion with security and paramedics and flash lights and all (remember our consumables?... they were still going)... which was a solid buzz kill. But then again, it all happend during Bobcaygeon and it was one of my most memorable times hearing it... and I first really discovered the "In Violet Light" catalog that show!

So, at this point the only inarguable (is that a word?) fact that matters is that its on Canada Day on a Friday in Toronto. Lump on Weezer, BSS, and some band named "Hey Rosetta" (who I recently learned are something special coming out of Newfoundland) and its a recipe for an amazing day.

I'm 100% in.

P.S. My situation has been helped immensely by an understanding wife who worked with me on how to make it work with our other plans, and a good old buddy coming with me (who loves the hip, but rarely comes out).
sadohert
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by sadohert »

There don't appear to be anymore VIP tickets (with or without parking). Anyone have any insight on this? Is it possible more could be opened up?
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

I think Weezer's 'Island In The Sun' is going to start a mean 'Hip! Hip!' chant.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
ashtrayrock
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ashtrayrock »

local walking distance hotel info
montecassino
3710 chesswood
it aint 4 star eh but walking home after the show=priceless :jump
patiodweller
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by patiodweller »

There was over 500,000 people at Downsview to see the Pope in 2002.
Anyways,
Let's say I have tickets to the show... The VIP parking I assume is sold out. Is there "regular" parking there does anyone know?? If not, is there parking on the street? And if not is it a good idea to park at Yorkdale and take the Subway?
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

patiodweller wrote:And if not is it a good idea to park at Yorkdale and take the Subway?
That's not a bad idea, but you'll have to pay for parking at Yorkdale. And you might want to check the parking lot hours too. I know they lock/chain the mall spots after a certain hour, I'm not too sure about the ones associated with the TTC.
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

For those who are wondering exactly where the concert site is:

http://www.downsviewpark.ca/media/TheHipMap.pdf
ashtrayrock
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ashtrayrock »