2011-06-25 - Big Music Fest - Bobcaygeon, Ontario

Been to a show? Post your review.
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Re: 2011-06-25 - Big Music Fest - Bobcaygeon, Ontario

Post by direwolf74 »

mikethegoalie32 wrote:
Maybe they are doing the same setlist for the recording of their documentary? They want those songs in the doc, and want to get the best take as possible? Just a thought I had last night when I was calling what song would be next...
That's a pretty good point actually. You might be onto something there.
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

I'm amazed that we haven't seen any video footage of the new songs yet. C'mon people, get those iPhones out! What's the point of buying one of those things if you're not gonna record new Hip songs?
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

thebends wrote:Venue was in a great setting, absolutely perfect for a summer Hip show.

Organization was the worst for ANY festival we have ever been to, hands down. Absurd line ups, poor sineage, massive confusion for thousands of stranded fans after the show. Getting a beer or food was farcical, simply not worth the 90 minute wait.

Setlist was predictable but for the most part well received, personally meh for me but most people seemed to enjoy it. I like all three new songs in rotation but Drip Drip and Transformation are monsters live. High hopes for the new album.

VIP??? don't think so. Best spot in the area was a little behind the SOUNBOARD to the far right of the stage, with a squared steel fence in front of you. Kinda like prison. Pretty sad to be in the best VIP spot and have 10K people in front of you. Hopefully Downsview is an improvement.

Sound in the VIP was ok, but we eventually ventured out half way through the show to get a better view and the sound was much better towards the centre of the field. Not sure what the issue with Gord's voice is, IMO he sounded like he always does, let's face it he is not a great singer. I've always thought of him as a vocalist/stylist and a great one at that. I have to mention Gord S was simply amazing, the bass was the best I've ever heard and for me was nothing short of brilliant in both ABAC and Transformation.

It's always a treat to see the Hip specially with the added talents if Miss Emily (fantastic set) The Trews and of course Sammy, but I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that Im getting too old and a bit of a curmudgeon when it comes to outdoor drunk-fests.

Lastly, shout out to Bobcaygeon residents and organizers, EMS and all support staff. This was a massive undertaking and hopefully there will be some lessons learned if the decide to do it again.
Yep.

We got audio and video of the show. Stay tuned....
farmerdan
Completist
Completist

Post by farmerdan »

chris wrote:Yep.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but did you record the trews as well?
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

Highlight of my night was standing in front of the VIP ghetto watching everyone crammed in, fingers meshed through the chain link screaming along to locked in the trunk of a car "LET ME OOOOOUUUUUUUTTTTTT!!!!!!!"
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

farmerdan69 wrote:
chris wrote:Yep.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but did you record the trews as well?
Not stupid. Yes. Trews, SRB and Hip. First two will be on archive.org soon.
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

That's the VIP section? Seriously? Oh my god. I'm now completely regretting paying the extra money for those tickets for Edmonton. What a freakin' joke. I'm praying that the Edmonton set up is much better than that, but I'm certainly not counting on it. That's brutal.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

direwolf74 wrote:
mikethegoalie32 wrote:
Maybe they are doing the same setlist for the recording of their documentary? They want those songs in the doc, and want to get the best take as possible? Just a thought I had last night when I was calling what song would be next...
Then hopefully there's a change in moncton. I'll try and send off a text to someone if there are any surprises.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

sean.bonner wrote:
direwolf74 wrote:
mikethegoalie32 wrote:
Then hopefully there's a change in moncton. I'll try and send off a text to someone if there are any surprises.
YES! That must be it. I am somewhat relieved.
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

ikky99 wrote: Maybe they are doing the same setlist for the recording of their documentary? They want those songs in the doc, and want to get the best take as possible? Just a thought I had last night when I was calling what song would be next...
That's a pretty good point actually. You might be onto something there.[/quote]

Then hopefully there's a change in moncton. I'll try and send off a text to someone if there are any surprises.[/quote]

YES! That must be it. I am somewhat relieved.[/quote]

I wouldn't get your hopes too up, Bonner, you gonna be tweeting or just gonna send out a text if there's anything big?
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

mojo_mattv wrote:
ikky99 wrote: Maybe they are doing the same setlist for the recording of their documentary? They want those songs in the doc, and want to get the best take as possible? Just a thought I had last night when I was calling what song would be next...
Then hopefully there's a change in moncton. I'll try and send off a text to someone if there are any surprises.[/quote]

YES! That must be it. I am somewhat relieved.[/quote]

I don't use twitter and don't have a smart phone. Would just be a text. feel free to pm me a phone number if anyone wants.

I wouldn't get your hopes too up, Bonner, you gonna be tweeting or just gonna send out a text if there's anything big?[/quote]
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

Big stinky shitfest is how I feel about that set-up.Half hour wait just to get into vip.I'm done with these big outdoor shitfests.As mentioned Gord S was amazing,especially on Transformation.Something must have been wrong with the sound and the boys started their set 35 min late.I felt dissapointed with the set in Peterborough but warmed to the big sound in Bobcaygeon.So far the locals here seem to be happy with the minimal disruption and lack of any major problems,but it is clear from everyone I have talked to that the issues with line-ups and shuttles left a bad taste.I hate that I paid for vip and couldn't get a beer,and had to fight with security for my wife to use a handicap washroom that had nobody in line.enough bitching I'm going fishing! I too taped(vid),but missed the encore to get the hell out of there.
mrsardo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mrsardo »

mikethegoalie32 wrote:
Thought on that though:

You've very likely right!
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

direwolf74 wrote:
mikethegoalie32 wrote:
Great theory! Time will tell.
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

thompson girl wrote:Wow nhaste, I have a completely opposite feeling. I thought the show was great.

I was spoiled all last tour with small venues, and being up front for most of them. So attending a stadium show and being a ways back in an intense crowd was quite a shock to the system!

This show was so much more electric than Peterborough. Gord was way more antimated and vocal, even bringing back the microphone stand speak in Grace. And man, did you see Gord S. jumping all over the stage during Drip Drip? Which, by the way, I love. I've still got it going through my head this morning. Transformation sounded great again too, and I even started to come around to Streets Ahead.

Bobcaygeon, as cliche as it was, was amazing. Gord didn't even have to sing.

Actually, my only beef was with the sound a couple of times. Gord could barely hear and wasn't singing in time with the music, and then the crowd was so loud sometimes you couldn't hear him at all. NOIS was like this I think.

I was impressed with the event organizers. Lots of signs on roads a ways a away from the site, which was great, as I managed to get lost on the way there. I guess in terms of VIP, the only perk for me was the parking. I had no trouble getting in, and getting out went quicker than I expected. I wasn't drinking so access to the beer area was pointless, but I thought we were supposed to have our own viewing area? If so, I missed it.

This show brought me around to big outdoor shows again! To me, this is what exemplifies the Hip. Huge shows, usually in the summer, intense crowds who know the words to all the songs, muddy fields, and long hikes back to your car hoping you can remember where you parked it! :thumb: Now, to go fix my stiff neck from the idiot bodysurfer who slammed into me and snapped it back. Bodysurfing = NOT COOL.

Pics from right side of stage, a bit of a ways back (Sam Roberts too)
Great post! I know we all are getting antsy about the setlists, getting upset about the venues and the stupid drunks etc BUT....The Hip are Rock and Roll at it's finest. Concerts are events that should be a bit on the edge. I am probably one of the older peeps on this board and I recently seen SRB in Detroit in a venue that the air conditioning broke, it was oversold, couldn't get a beer, must've been over 100f in the place...and it was FANTASTIC!!! I felt like I participated in a sporting event. It was insanely rowdy! Many near fights, beer thrown all over the place but I endured and enjoyed!!! The polar opposite would be to sit for an entire show with well-behaved patrons! :thumb: