2011-06-25 - Big Music Fest - Bobcaygeon, Ontario

Been to a show? Post your review.
Astrophys
New Maybe
New Maybe

Re: 2011-06-25 - Big Music Fest - Bobcaygeon, Ontario

Post by Astrophys »

Hey guys,
I used to frequent this forum a long time ago and have long since lost my user information. So I made a new one! Anyways I thought the show was pretty great, I wasn't up at the front and the people around us weren't singing that much so it kinda made the crowd singing parts a little awkward. I loved drip drip, the others I have to warm up to. Leaving the venue was one of the most disorganized things I ever seen. My gf and I were given wristbands for the wrong parking lot and therefore had to backtrack after we passed our lot. Always a huge pleasure to see the Hip live, Im glad the weather hung in there for us! Can't wait for the recordings!
Ry222
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Ry222 »

Can't say much of what hasn't been already said regarding the setlists. I can understand that a greatest hits show will appeal to the majority, however, trying to think of an explanation as to why In View is in the set is pretty much impossible to me. When Johnny starts the song, all I think of is, "really?"

I heard rumours from people at the show that Neil Young was there last night. Did anybody else hear this or of any other celebrity sightings?
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

Ry222 wrote:Can't say much of what hasn't been already said regarding the setlists. I can understand that a greatest hits show will appeal to the majority, however, trying to think of an explanation as to why In View is in the set is pretty much impossible to me. When Johnny starts the song, all I think of is, "really?"

I heard rumours from people at the show that Neil Young was there last night. Did anybody else hear this or of any other celebrity sightings?
I always love hearing In View, think it's an awesome pop song!
mrsardo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mrsardo »

mojo_mattv wrote:
I always love hearing In View, think it's an awesome pop song![/quote]

I agree! I could skip the album version of In View sometimes, but when it's live it comes alive, especially when it's played without the keys! And Gord loves to belt it out! Plus it's great to sing along to!
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

mojo_mattv wrote:
Ry222 wrote:Can't say much of what hasn't been already said regarding the setlists. I can understand that a greatest hits show will appeal to the majority, however, trying to think of an explanation as to why In View is in the set is pretty much impossible to me. When Johnny starts the song, all I think of is, "really?"

I always love hearing In View, think it's an awesome pop song!
I never cared for the album version of In View, but when they play it live it's got much more energy, and it sounds great with just guitars. Like Mojo Mattv said, it's a great pop song. It's like Sloan, the Odds, and the Pursuit of Happiness filtered through the music of the Hip. I like it. My buddy always says it reminds him of Broken Social Scene as well, which is an interesting comparison, as you couldn't find two more different bands in the Hip and BSS.
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

spottrax wrote: Great post! I know we all are getting antsy about the setlists, getting upset about the venues and the stupid drunks etc BUT....The Hip are Rock and Roll at it's finest. Concerts are events that should be a bit on the edge. I am probably one of the older peeps on this board and I recently seen SRB in Detroit in a venue that the air conditioning broke, it was oversold, couldn't get a beer, must've been over 100f in the place...and it was FANTASTIC!!! I felt like I participated in a sporting event. It was insanely rowdy! Many near fights, beer thrown all over the place but I endured and enjoyed!!! The polar opposite would be to sit for an entire show with well-behaved patrons! :thumb:
I am also a long time fan. I have seen The Hip, Gord D solo and Robbie Baker solo over 60+ times between 1995 to the present. I have traveled to numerous venues throughout Canada and the US. I have been to outdoor festivals, stadium shows and small club shows. Sometimes I get greatest hit set lists and other times I have been wildly suprised by the varied set lists in back to back to back shows.

I guess I am different than some of the other hardcore Hip fans on this website. I enjoy the set list regardless of which type I get. The energy and excitement I feel watching the band play is what I am addicted too. It is disappointing to me to hear so much gripping. I am going to multiple shows on this summer tour and I won't be upset if I hear very similar or exact set lists.

I believe the whole purpose of this summer tour is to get footage of fans from all across Canada & the US. I personally would be disappointed if only the fans who attended the Bobcageon show were included in the fan documentary which is to be released in the future. Shouldn't fans from Vancouver, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Windsor/Detroit, Moncton....be included in this documentary also?

This is how I see the final DVD product which is sold to the general public (ie, casual fans) might look like. The DVD will contain a greatest hits set list to appeal to the widest audience possible. This will produce the highest possible sales volume. The band is playing almost the exact same set list because they want to include fans from everywhere.

Imagine this...the band is playing NOIS/Nautical, Bobcaygeon or 50 Mission Cap. During each song the director/editor cuts to a different fan from across North America with the song playing softly in the background. Different fan reactions or questions are spliced into each song. Thus the need for the exact same set list at each summer show. Live shots of fans during the concert are mixed with home or after show interviews. How can the director/editor include fans from everywhere and splice it together to make sense if the set list isn't almost exactly the same at each venue?

Keep gripping and don't attend any summer shows (sarcasm). If you do attend, act sullen and disappointed to the set list (sarcasm). This will increase my chances of being included in the fan documentary DVD when they come to my part of the country.

Off topic: Spottrax, I also attended the SRB show at St Andrews Hall in Detroit. You're right, it was an amazing sold out show! The fans were really into the concert. You may have missed a "0" in your post. The capacity at the venue is 1000.

Also, there is no air conditioning at this venue. The outside temperature was 90+ degrees Farenhiet. The venue temperature was definitely over 100 degrees. There were 4 commercial size fans at each corner of the room which circulated no air becuase of the bodies blocking them. My clothes were totally soaked just standing there talking to my wife before the show.

This uncomfortable situation didn't stop anyone from enjoying the show as you described. Sam and his band were blown away by the fan reaction, considering the circumstances.

I hope Hip fans can draw something from this story and enjoy each summer show regardless of the set list circumstances. Maybe you will see yourself in a Hip DVD!
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

Hugh23 wrote:Imagine this...the band is playing NOIS/Nautical, Bobcaygeon or 50 Mission Cap. During each song the director/editor cuts to a different fan from across North America with the song playing softly in the background. Different fan reactions or questions are spliced into each song. Thus the need for the exact same set list at each summer show. Live shots of fans during the concert are mixed with home or after show interviews. How can the director/editor include fans from everywhere and splice it together to make sense if the set list isn't almost exactly the same at each venue?

I hope Hip fans can draw something from this story and enjoy each summer show regardless of the set list circumstances. Maybe you will see yourself in a Hip DVD!
This could be the case. I could see a really long metal arm with a small camera attached going back and forth in front of the stage panning the crowd. Not sure if they'll do that at every show, but it would be cool.

I should clarify...I like big shows, only when the crowd is controlled and I feel safe. Some big shows get out of hand. Fingers crossed for a good crowd at Downsview. :wink:

Also, I noticed some people wearing 2011 tour shirts with the new Hip logo on the front and the summer tour dates on the back. I didn't see a merch table, and wasn't about to go searching for it, but it might be worth a look to see what they have.
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

thompson girl wrote:
Hugh23 wrote:Imagine this...the band is playing NOIS/Nautical, Bobcaygeon or 50 Mission Cap. During each song the director/editor cuts to a different fan from across North America with the song playing softly in the background. Different fan reactions or questions are spliced into each song. Thus the need for the exact same set list at each summer show. Live shots of fans during the concert are mixed with home or after show interviews. How can the director/editor include fans from everywhere and splice it together to make sense if the set list isn't almost exactly the same at each venue?

This could be the case. I could see a really long metal arm with a small camera attached going back and forth in front of the stage panning the crowd. Not sure if they'll do that at every show, but it would be cool.

I should clarify...I like big shows, only when the crowd is controlled and I feel safe. Some big shows get out of hand. Fingers crossed for a good crowd at Downsview. :wink:

Also, I noticed some people wearing 2011 tour shirts with the new Hip logo on the front and the summer tour dates on the back. I didn't see a merch table, and wasn't about to go searching for it, but it might be worth a look to see what they have.

I saw a really cool shirt at the merch table with a stag's head with headphones on and it said below it (listen to) The Tragically Hip. Wanted to get it but was all spent out.
mrsardo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mrsardo »

Hugh23 wrote:
spottrax wrote: Great post! I know we all are getting antsy about the setlists, getting upset about the venues and the stupid drunks etc BUT....The Hip are Rock and Roll at it's finest. Concerts are events that should be a bit on the edge. I am probably one of the older peeps on this board and I recently seen SRB in Detroit in a venue that the air conditioning broke, it was oversold, couldn't get a beer, must've been over 100f in the place...and it was FANTASTIC!!! I felt like I participated in a sporting event. It was insanely rowdy! Many near fights, beer thrown all over the place but I endured and enjoyed!!! The polar opposite would be to sit for an entire show with well-behaved patrons! :thumb:

Keep gripping !
and griping!
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

Damn......didn't think I was gripe-ing. Thought I was being objective...and complimenting someone on their post :nooooo
mikethegoalie32
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by mikethegoalie32 »

I think the thing that bugs me about the setlist more than anything is the order. I think I would be completely fine if they would play all the same songs night after night, but moved them around in order. Standing there and being able to name which some comes out next gets a tad dull, its like throwing on shuffle on a cd or ipod, same songs over and over, but different order!
vanhip
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by vanhip »

About the set lists being the same: The production company had cameras taping everywhere during the BobC show. I doubt there was anything left that they didn't capture. Everyone who was previously interviewed and went to the show was taped a second time. VERY doubtful they will be using material from other shows. I am pretty sure you won't see and hear a song beginning to end on the DVD - with perhaps the exception of Bobcayegeon. Footage was also shot during the sound checks. This DVD will be about the fans and the vast variety the Hip attract. It isn't a beginning to end concert video like One Night in Toronto. I don't know why the set lists are the same or close to it, but it has nothing to do with the DVD - all just my opinion and speculation, of course. :D

However, the concert promoter, Mark Higgins can kiss my big, hairy, tattooed, pimple-ly, pasty white ASS!

I purchased VIP tickets and should have saved my money! Forget for a second the lines, tickets for drinks, washroom availability, etc. The LOCATION of the VIP was inexcusable. None of the VIP details dealing with location in proximity to the stage was shared before the concert - for good reason. If I pay extra money for VIP tickets, I should be able to see the freaking stage. It was like a dog kennel and the best line of sight was blocked by an entire row of shitters! This just shows me how greedy the promoter, Mark Higgins is. With most respectable shows, the VIP section is in front of the stage.

We moved to the GA area when the Hip came on and had 200% better view. So be forewarned, if you attend a future show by this promoter, don't buy VIP tickets unless you know exactly what it included. I will NEVER attend another show produced by Mr. Higgins. I don't care if Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John are there handing out miracles, I WILL NOT BE THERE!
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

vanhip wrote:About the set lists being the same: The production company had cameras taping everywhere during the BobC show. I doubt there was anything left that they didn't capture. Everyone who was previously interviewed and went to the show was taped a second time. VERY doubtful they will be using material from other shows. I am pretty sure you won't see and hear a song beginning to end on the DVD - with perhaps the exception of Bobcayegeon. Footage was also shot during the sound checks. This DVD will be about the fans and the vast variety the Hip attract. It isn't a beginning to end concert video like One Night in Toronto. I don't know why the set lists are the same or close to it, but it has nothing to do with the DVD - all just my opinion and speculation, of course. :D

However, the concert promoter, Mark Higgins can kiss my big, hairy, tattooed, pimple-ly, pasty white ASS!

I purchased VIP tickets and should have saved my money! Forget for a second the lines, tickets for drinks, washroom availability, etc. The LOCATION of the VIP was inexcusable. None of the VIP details dealing with location in proximity to the stage was shared before the concert - for good reason. If I pay extra money for VIP tickets, I should be able to see the freaking stage. It was like a dog kennel and the best line of sight was blocked by an entire row of shitters! This just shows me how greedy the promoter, Mark Higgins is. With most respectable shows, the VIP section is in front of the stage.

We moved to the GA area when the Hip came on and had 200% better view. So be forewarned, if you attend a future show by this promoter, don't buy VIP tickets unless you know exactly what it included. I will NEVER attend another show produced by Mr. Higgins. I don't care if Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John are there handing out miracles, I WILL NOT BE THERE!
Someone posted in the Moncton review thread that there was a camera crew filming that show as well. I'm still going with the opinion that the identical setlists are because of the documentary. It's just way too uncharacteristic that the Hip would play 4 shows in a row with the same set. It's really the only explanation that makes sense. As for the complaints about the VIP section, it sounds like it was a total gong show in Bobcaygeon, and I feel bad for the people that paid the extra money for those tickets. You guys should all demand a refund for the extra $30 or whatever it was. I bought the VIP tickets for the July 14th Edmonton show (probably unwisely). Hopefully this Mark Higgins guy isn't involved in that show.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Not once did any of the film crew for the DVD mention going to any of the other shows. And they were primarily filming with GoPro HD cams (they were mounted throughtout the field area, and were on extension poles out over the crowd) and Canon 5Ds (a common DSLR camera). I only saw one "typical" video camera in use for the documentary.

I'm confident that the setlists have nothing to do with the documentary; the doc is about the fans. (Perhaps we can blame technology as the setlists At the soundboard are no longer handwritten. Maybe Sinclair wrote some code to generate setlists during the offseason...)

As for Mr. Higgins and the VIP area... What a farce! Caged into an area with shitty sightlines. VIP parking included but you still had to pay at the gate. And VIP parking was not the closest to the gate, nor did it provide easier access when leaving. And those of us who arrived early were given the worst spots - contrary to the logic that those who arrive first should get first pick.

I must have missed the previous complaints but the GA lines for beer were the longest lines I've ever seen, at any event. Ever. Ridiculous.
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

Bobcaygeon left such a bad impression I dumped 2 pairs of VIPs for the Downsview show this week. Now I'm feeling HIP withdrawal like its an addiction, and I guess I will regret it if the VIP is in a better location and the event at Downsview is better organized. But Bob was such a farce I didn't want to take the chance of going through the same thing :x . On a positive note the tix went discounted to 2 couples that have never seen the HIP and will probably have the times of their lives. 8)
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."