2011-07-10 - Sarnia, Ontario - Bayfest

Been to a show? Post your review.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

2011-07-10 - Sarnia, Ontario - Bayfest

Post by sean.bonner »

Arkells + Joel

This will be a great day for those who get to go.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Re: 2011-07-10 - Sarnia, Ontario - Bayfest

Post by mojo_mattv »

Shit, that's an amazing show!
maynardsux
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by maynardsux »

Is anyone going to this show in Sarnia that would be able to pick me up a poster from the show? They sold for $15 at the Windsor show but were sold out when i got there :( Any help would be much appreciated and i would cover all shipping costs......Thank-you! :)
mrsardo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mrsardo »

Anyone wanna tell us how awesome the night is?
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

Must've been a big turnout.
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

Great show on a hot and humid night. Enthusiastic Hip fans filled what appeared to be a sold out venue. I will be able to provide a more detailed show review in a couple of hours. Here is the set list:

1.) Blow At High Dough
2.) Grace, too
3.) Love is a First
4.) Streets
5.) Gift Shop
6.) ABAC
7.) In View
8.) Poets
9.) 100th Meridian
10.) Drip Drip
11.) Fiddler's Green
12.) Fully, Completely
13.) Courage
14.) Bobcaygeon
15.) NOIS/Nautical Disaster/NOIS
16.) Little Bones
Encore
1.) Lonely End of the Rink
2.) Wheat Kings
3.) Music @ Work
mrsardo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mrsardo »

Hugh23 wrote:
1.) Blow At High Dough
2.) Grace, too
3.) Love is a First
4.) Streets
5.) Gift Shop
6.) ABAC
7.) In View
8.) Poets
9.) 100th Meridian
10.) Drip Drip
11.) Fiddler's Green
12.) Fully, Completely
13.) Courage
14.) Bobcaygeon
15.) NOIS/Nautical Disaster/NOIS
16.) Little Bones
Encore
1.) Lonely End of the Rink
2.) Wheat Kings
3.) Music @ Work
I notice they haven't played TRANSFORMATION for the last couple shows! I hope this new gem comes back soon!!!
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

how was Arkells/JPE?
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

Thanks to Hugh for the only Hipbase review so far!

Here is one from the local paper The Observer:

http://www.theobserver.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3207397

Bayfest goes all-Canadian

MUSIC: Hip conclusion to rock week

By TARA JEFFREY, The Observer

They say the third time's a charm, and rock Canadian icons The Tragically Hip proved it Sunday with their third Bayfest appearance in nine years.

Led by frontman Gord Downie, the Kingston-bred quintet headlined the festival's fifth and final rock concert — a high octane medley of their classic hits, along with a sprinkling of new material from their forthcoming studio album.

"They're the only band we've ever had three times, but they're a Canadian favourite," said organizer Michele Stokley. "They have so many hits, and such a huge following."

That loyal following includes Ellen Moore from Lucan, Ontario, who was first in line Sunday morning to get a prime front row view of Canada's rock royalty.

Bayfest 2011 marked her 10th Tragically Hip Concert.

"I've been following them since '92," said Moore, who travelled to the concert all on her own. "I just love them; I love the whole band, especially their old stuff."

Nearby, 20-year-old Jon Van Grinsvea waited anxiously for the gates to open at 5:30 p.m.

"We wanted to make sure we get right up front to see them up close; Gord Downie is amazing," said the Strathroy resident. "They're all just good guys. They support Canadian music and Canadian history. And it's hard to find that with big bands these days."

With 11 studio albums and 46 singles under their belts, "The Hip" — which also includes members Rob Baker (guitar), Gord Sinclair (bass), Johnny Fay (drums) and Paul Langlois (guitar) — went full tilt Sunday, opening with "Blow at High Dough" and belting out classic hits like "Grace, Too," and "Love is a first," and "Ahead by a Century," while Centennial Park's amped crowd sang along in united voice.

A theatrical Downie played to the crowd, strutting on stage, playing peek-a-boo behind a handkerchief and riding his mic stand like a horse.

The concert kicked off with openers Joel Plaskett and The Arkells.

Bayfest's rock weekend attracted some 75,000 fans to five nights of rock, that also featured KISS, Marianas Trench, The Trews, Steve Miller Band, The Tea Party, Theory of a Deadman and INXS.

"It was more like a rock week," said Stokley. "It was a huge success; each show was awesome — the fans loved it, the performers loved it, we had great attendance and no major incidents."

Police had a relatively quiet week, with a dozen arrests made Wednesday through Saturday, while a handful of others were kicked out for public intoxication.

"I think people are just coming out to have fun more than anything," said Stokley. "They look forward to this year-round."

Stokley and her crew of hundreds of staff and volunteers will have a four-day break before the country weekend kicks off Friday, but that doesn't mean things are slowing down.

"That's when we put on our cowboy hats, because it's all about country now," she said. "The performers are more laid back, but the crowds will be larger. We'll see a lot more tourism too — every hotel is full, the marina is full, and the campgrounds are full."

Bayfest continues Friday with country headliners Trace Adkins and Montgomery Gentry, followed by Lady Antebellum and Rodney Atkins on Saturday.

[email protected]
Last edited by thebends on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

...And a nice little video from the show ...

http://www.theobserver.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3207481
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

Just as the news article stated which "thebends" posted for us, The Hip have performed at the Sarnia Bayfest 3 times since its inception. They performed at the very first Bayfest which turned out to be a total nightmare. That year saw a VIP section off to the far left side of the stage with poor sight lines and drunken idiots roamed the entire area vomiting and urinating wherever due to the lack of port-a-poties. The extra money spent on VIP tickets wasn't worth it.

I attended the next two Bayfests which The Hip headlined. Since the first poorly organized Bayfest, the promoters have learned from their past mistakes and made huge improvements to how the venue is set up and run. Buying VIP tickets to this show turned out to be a great value. There was a large professional stage which incorporated The Hip's excellent light show. The stage had a long 4ft. wide runway which extended out from the center of the stage about 20 ft. It ran almost to the end of the VIP section which was situated directly in front of the stage. The runway divided the licensed VIP section (Robbie's side) from the unlicensed VIP section (Paul's side). Behind the VIP sections was the GA. Two large video screens were on each side of the stage.

Both VIP sections were filled to capacity. There was little extra room, but I was never "trapped" in my spot. Before and during the show, a fan could leave, use the bathroom, get a beer, and return to your spot very quickly. My wife left at the beginning of Streets Ahead, used the facilities and returned with two beers before the song ended.

The assembled crowd was full of excited and experienced Hip fans from Sarnia, London, Toronto and a few Americans like myself. There was a palpable energy coursing through the hot and muggy outdoor venue. In front of Gord S. assembled a large group of male friends. Five of these guys were wearing straw fedoras similar to what Gord D has been wearing. I saw another male fan wearing an orange prison jumpsuit which had the words, "Millhaven Maximum Security" stenciled on the back. The Hip took the stage to a huge burst of cheers.

The majority of festival shows the band has performed at recently, Gord D. has been somewhat subdued. At this show, he was animated, but not to the extent that he has been in the past. He was ranting, and he rode his mic stand like a bucking bronco a few times. He used his handkerchief as tail feathers and strutted around the stage like a peacock or roster. There was a gentle breeze blowing from left to right across the stage during the show. Gord walked to the edge of the side stage next to Paul. He unfurled his handkerchief and placed it behind his head, resting it on his shoulders. He leaned forward into the breeze. The handkerchief flapped gently behind him, and he looked like a superhero with a cape.

At one point, Gord pretended he was guiding a gondola using his mic stand as his pole. He turned sideways with his knees and ankles held tightly together. He did a stutter step to make it appear as if his legs were not moving. He used the mic stand to push his gondola forward down the runway. The visual was quite effective. I laughed to myself because his actions made me think of "a flamenco dancer with butts wigglin' ". Another time Gord made the runway look like it was a canoe. He used his mic stand as a paddle and paddled both sides of the runway as he moved its length.

All the band members were really into the show because of the great response from the crowd. Everyone was singing and dancing to the music. During ABAC, Robbie usually plays his acoustic guitar throughout the song. Halfway through the song, he switched to his electric guitar and added a cool solo. During Bobcaygeon, he normally uses a "blonde" colored acoustic guitar. Yesterday he used a bright white acoustic. The white acoustic guitar added a bit visual flash to the black shirt and white pants he was wearing during his big screen close up. 19 songs later a happy and satisfied audience made its way home.

After the show, my wife and I along with 20 other people met four of the band members in a small backstage tent. Gord D. was a no show. Johnny Fay was talking to others and finally made his way over to me. He gave me a set of drumsticks he used during the show. They were dented and hacked up from use. He told me he gets these custom made drumsticks from a small music store in Lewiston, NY. He said the store owner runs a pizza shop out of the front of his building and a music store in the back. This was the first time I didn't bring my sharpie to a show. I never got a chance to get my drumsticks signed, but it was a wonderful surprise from Johnny. I spoke with Paul, Gord S., and Robbie, who was clean shaven for the show. I thanked them for the friendship and kindness they have always given me. I also got a chance to say hello to Tony McKegney, the former Buffalo Sabers' star and high school friend of the band. I think Tony is a promoter for the Sarnia Bayfest. With that, we said goodbye and told the guys we were looking forward to their next album and tour.
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

Well done Hugh! Well done.
tigerthelion88
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by tigerthelion88 »

yess .. awesome review!., you said everything and more.
arkells were great too - did a bryan adams cover, run for you, among: deadlines, no chamagne, lennon, pullin punches, boss...first time seeing JP n emergency - great grooves. and metro4 started the day.
1st time attending this fest - beauty setup, can't wait for the next.
Gusthepolarbear12
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Gusthepolarbear12 »

Its been a while since I've written on the forum but WWWOOOOWWW Bayfest was AWESOME.

About 10 friends and myself split a limo from Kitchener to Sarnia so we were plenty intoxicated by the time of arrival. My fathers connections with Molson got us into the VIP section right up front, which I am incredibly grateful for. We showed up just in time for the Arkells set whom I've never seen live before but am a fan of. They were awesome, the crowd wanted an encore but the stage manager wouldnt let it happen, and was eventually boo'ed off stage :lol: .

Plaskett also put on a fantastic show, the crowd thickened a bit more for him and he shredded his heart out like Joel always does in his electric shows. This was my third time seeing Joel and definitely my favourite.

I think I drank a little too much because I have zero recollection of the Hip opening with Blow! The outdoor festivals always get the best of me. I loved the jam sessions throughout the set and the audience was really into it, all of my friends and I were dancing with EVERYONE around us it was an awesome time. This was my 5th hip show and I almost cried when they started to play Nautical because I have yet to hear it live. So that was my highlight, along with Gordie paddling down the catwalk right down to where we were standing :thumb: .

Amazing night overall, major headache the next morning. Cant wait for the new album, the new songs sounded pretty good from what I recall, Drip Drip was a little odd for me but I'm excited to hear the studio version!

P.S My friend is visiting his girlfriend this weekend in Kingston and he just sent me a text saying Baker's son is playing at their party tonight. Wicked eh?

Overall I'd give the show a solid 10/10