2011-07-14 - Northlands Festival Site - Edmonton, Alberta

Been to a show? Post your review.
fingernailsonhull
Wheat King
Wheat King

2011-07-14 - Northlands Festival Site - Edmonton, Alberta

Post by fingernailsonhull »

Post your review.
Last edited by fingernailsonhull on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff

June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Re: 2011-07-14 - Northlands Grounds - Edmonton, Alberta

Post by direwolf74 »

Anybody have any idea what the VIP setup might be like for this show?? I'm just hoping it won't be as bad as some of the nightmare stories I've heard about the other shows. I'm fully expecting the worst, but crossing my fingers for something at least half-way decent.
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

direwolf74 wrote:Anybody have any idea what the VIP setup might be like for this show?? I'm just hoping it won't be as bad as some of the nightmare stories I've heard about the other shows. I'm fully expecting the worst, but crossing my fingers for something at least half-way decent.
I have to assume the Hip and crew have nothing to do with the location of the VIP section. Having said that its curious that someone "in the know" isn't aware of the VIP location for upcoming events and hasn't posted anything. I would speculate its the same set up and expect the worse ... it wont hurt as much. Or do what I did, divest yourself and wait for a different setting.
Last edited by thebends on Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
fingernailsonhull
Wheat King
Wheat King

Yeah, I was originally trying to grab a VIP ticket for this show. Now I just want to grab a cheap GA ticket. It sounds like the VIP thing is a total gong show.
Jeff

Summiteer
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Summiteer »

this is from Ticketmaster, its sounds lucrative :)
VIP General Admission Tickets

Includes: VIP Special Pre-Party at Northlands Park, food and special event starting time 5:00pm (cash bar), exclusive special seating in Bonanza Park for the concert to include private bar service, special commemorative lanyard, special entrance.
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Summiteer wrote:this is from Ticketmaster, its sounds lucrative :)
VIP General Admission Tickets

Includes: VIP Special Pre-Party at Northlands Park, food and special event starting time 5:00pm (cash bar), exclusive special seating in Bonanza Park for the concert to include private bar service, special commemorative lanyard, special entrance.
Yup, that was the exact description that sold me on the VIP tickets. The only thing I really want is a good view of the stage. The advertisement sounds promising, but after reading the other show reviews I have a bad feeling that the VIP section is gonna be somewhere near the back of the field, and we're all gonna need binoculars to see the stage. If that's the case, I'm just gonna join the GA crowd and try and find a good spot that's closer.
fingernailsonhull
Wheat King
Wheat King

Re: 2011-07-14 - Northlands Festival Site - Edmonton, Albert

I'm hitting Kijiji pretty hard today trying to find a cheap ticket. Just missed out by a couple minutes on a free one last night. Even if it's just a greatest hits show with some new ones thrown in, I haven't seen Das Hips in over four years and I need a fix. Here's hoping.
Jeff

nautical
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by nautical »

Anyone know where the stage is being set up? Is it where the Telus Stage is for Capital Ex? Also, for people who have been to other shows on this tour with BSS and Hey Rosetta, what is the time that each act hits the stage (ticket says doors at 5:30, show at 7)?
fingernailsonhull
Wheat King
Wheat King

Just landed a ticket for $40 off of Kijiji. Can't wait for the show.
Jeff

fingernailsonhull
Wheat King
Wheat King

Setlist:

Blow at High Dough
Grace, Too
Love is a First
Streets Ahead
Gift Shop
Ahead by a Century
In View
Poets
At the Hundredth Meridian
Wheat Kings
Drip Drip
Fully Completely
Courage
Bobcaygeon
New Orleans is Sinking / Nautical Disaster
Little Bones

Encore:

Kids Don't Get It
My Music at Work
Jeff

fingernailsonhull
Wheat King
Wheat King

Overall, glad I went. New O with Nautical in the middle was epic. Really, really good. The sing-along during Courage was loud and overwhelming. It was, again, a greatest hits setlist, but I was expecting that. New O/Nautical got a great reaction.

There was also rampant douchebaggery. I was unaware that half the Jersey Shore had moved to Edmonton. Gord, only a few songs in, urged the big guys to protect the girls around them. A few songs later, after it was clear the subtlety had been lost on them, he explicitly told the crowd to stop crowdsurfing. Near the end of the set, he started singling out individual guys and telling them to cool it. I was about ten people deep from the stage, in front of Gord S. By the time Little Bones started, the pushing, jarring, and elbowing was getting to be a little much, so I made my way back by the sound booth and spent the rest of the show back there. Only songs I'd never heard live before were the new ones and LIAF, as I missed the WATS tour. Glad to be home. That might be my last outdoor show. Theatres from here on out.
Jeff

fingernailsonhull
Wheat King
Wheat King

I also forgot to mention the new songs. Streets Ahead will take some growing on me. It has sort of an In View-y feel, but it's also not so blatantly awful.

Drip Drip I like immediately. The harmonization with Paul is excellent and it sounds great already. With everyone singing Transformation's praises so early, I would've liked to have heard that one, too. It was only an 18 song set, which was rather disappointing. Show was over by 10:30.

Also, sooooo glad I didn't buy a VIP ticket. The VIP section was set up off to the side and some ways from the stage. I saw a lot of people in the main crowd with the VIP lanyards. If you want to be close, don't buy VIP.
Jeff

thedarkcanuck
Completist
Completist

Post by thedarkcanuck »

what a day...had myself resigned to the fact that i wasn`t going(car was in an accident so i had no wheels) and then my computer goes haywire in my work truck yesterday...so i call call our tech in edmonton to troubleshoot and he tells me i need to bring the truck to edmonton :lol:.. fate brings me to the hip once again lol...and ya, the vip was nothing special really, especially the view, we went up in the GA crowd as well. we were on pauls side and also had more than a few jersey shore extras in our vicinity as well. thought the boys sounded great, had a great time. show #20 for me last night and i enjoyed it just as much as show #1 back in 1995..20 shows in 16 years and not once have i seen these guys mailing it or just going through the motions. every time i see a live show i feel very fortunate to be a fan of this band, they really do spoil us..got some good video that i will post up next week.
7/17/95-Craven
11/18/96-Saskatoon
7/21/97-Saskatoon
9/16/00-Winnipeg
11/24/00-Red Deer
07/14/02-Camrose
9/26/02-Edmonton
9/27/02-Edmonton
8/1/03-Kelowna
6/22/04-Edmonton
11/17/04-Edmonton
11/20/04-Saskatoon
10/28/06-Calgary
1/19/07-Regina
7/18/07-Saskatoon
6/22/08-Calgary
8/4/09-Saskatoon
9/14/09-Edmonton
9/19/09-Banff
7/14/11-Edmonton
1/23/13-Edmonton
7/6/13-Saskatoon
10/10/15-Houston
7/28/16-Edmonton
7/30/16-Edmonton
8/01/16-Calgary
nautical
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by nautical »

I texted myself some notes, as well as the setlist during the show:

Blow - this song seems to be getting better with age
Grace
First - a beachball landed on stage and Gord picked it up and said to it "if you're ready to work, you can stay.... You sit back there and learn." He also said "if you're over 200 pounds, you can't crowdsurf.... Where's your acid-washed jeans? Watch out kids, cool guy coming through. Cool guy with no shirt on coming through." When he read a guy's "Clean & Scrub Union" sign (which was about 12 feet in front of me), Gord said "that is oblique."
Streets
Gift - "At the risk of polarizing this crowd, I'd like to take a poll.... Crowdsurfing: bullshit or what?"
ABAC
View
Poets
Meridian - really long jam when Gord wandered to the far side of the stage to gesture to fans in the beer garden(?). He also hugged a security guard on his way there. Also a rant about Gord and Paul hitchhiking to PEI when they were 17 and 18 with a nothing but a bag of granola and $17.
Wheat
Drip - Gord bent down and said something to their main security guy (big black dude), who was standing in the photographers' pit, mid-verse. Probably something about the crowdsurfing.
Fully - "Stop f-ing fighting! You're really distracting me! It's not the music, man. You'd do it at a f-ing Bieber show and you know it." He actually basically told the troublemaker(s) to leave the area. Also "I'm the coolest f-ing babysitter you've ever had." "We're all getting a life lesson tonight. You paid for a concert and you're getting two shows."
Courage - Crowd sang the last part by ourselves
Bobc
NewO / Nautical - epic - Rob riffed a bit of Sabbath (Paranoid) while waiting for Paul to start NewO
Bones - Gord S sang the last chorus by himself (Gord D was busy dancing)

Kids - the only semi-surprise/treat of the night (was expecting Rink here). I think it's only the 2nd time I've seen this performed (show 21 for me).
Music

TTH took the stage at 8:30 and wrapped at 10:20. Didn't see where the VIP area was, but it couldn't have been great because there were lots of people around me in the "commoners' area" with VIP lanyards. I've never before seen Gord talking directly to so many members of the crowd (mostly telling off crowd surfers and fighters). He showed a lot of concern for the girls and kids near the front who were presumably getting crushed by crowd surfers. Early in the show he pointed out one guy right in front of me who had just crowdsurfed and bitched him out for only looking at the stage twice the whole show and landing on true Hip fans who were at the front who got there early to get their spot near the stage. The sound was good (although maybe a bit screechy). Band sounded awesome as always.
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Just back from Edmonton. I wasn't anywhere near the douchebaggery that was going on up front. I had a feeling things were gonna get ridiculous by the time the Hip went on, so my friend and I staked out a spot in front of the soundboard and had a GREAT view of the stage for the entire show. The VIP thing wasn't as bad as I was expecting. We got some free dinner out of it, and the VIP area/beer garden was really well organized with nice easy-to-access bathrooms and quick, short lineups for beer. The plastic lanyard thing they gave us on our way in is a pretty cool souvenir. Unfortunately the view of the stage was just as I expected: non-existent. My friend and I decided to wander out into the regular GA crowd for the Hip and we weren't disappointed. Overall that was probably one of the best Hip shows I've seen in terms of energy from the band. Gord was in an ornery mood because of all the drunken buffoons near the front. Being the great frontman that he is though, he worked all that stuff into various rants all through the set, which was highly entertaining; especially when he was signalling out specific morons and berating them in front of 20,000 people. Great stuff. The story about hitchhiking to P.E.I. with Paul during Meridian was cool. Highlights of the show for me were the NOIS/Nautical/NOIS medley and a powerful version of The Kids Don't Get It during the encore. Fantastic show!

As much as I enjoyed it though, that was probably my last outdoor Hip gig. Theaters and club shows in the U.S. from here on out for me.