2011-07-09 - Ottawa Blues Festival - Ottawa, Ontario

Been to a show? Post your review.
mikethegoalie32
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Re: 2011-07-09 - Ottawa Blues Festival - Ottawa, Ontario

Post by mikethegoalie32 »

Yup, sadly Ottawa has a 11pm curfew for music. When you start at 930 theres only so much you can squeeze in.
BakersBrew
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BakersBrew »

zopust wrote:
mikethegoalie32 wrote:Setlist

blow
grace
streets
gift shop
abac
in view
poets
100th
fidlers
drip
fully
courage
bob
nois/nautical
little bones

trunk of car

show despite short was EPIC. Crowd was electric, the lads were on fire, energy was through the roof. Top 5 of the 16 ive seen. Gord was at the top of his game, and the sound from the band was perfect. Only complaint from where I was, the 2 new songs didnt hit crowd good.

9/10 show if not 9.5. Gold imo.
Yeah, it was good, but I agree... the new tunes didn't seem to wow anyone. Is it me, or did they sound garbled?
New is good. Helps give the setlists some flavour. I think the new tunes sound pretty good...but the vocal needs a better mix?
mrsardo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mrsardo »

BakersBrew wrote:
zopust wrote:
mikethegoalie32 wrote:Setlist

blow
grace
streets
gift shop
abac
in view
poets
100th
fidlers
drip
fully
courage
bob
nois/nautical
little bones

trunk of car

show despite short was EPIC. Crowd was electric, the lads were on fire, energy was through the roof. Top 5 of the 16 ive seen. Gord was at the top of his game, and the sound from the band was perfect. Only complaint from where I was, the 2 new songs didnt hit crowd good.

9/10 show if not 9.5. Gold imo.
Yeah, it was good, but I agree... the new tunes didn't seem to wow anyone. Is it me, or did they sound garbled?
New is good. Helps give the setlists some flavour. I think the new tunes sound pretty good...but the vocal needs a better mix?
Love the new stuff! No Transformation played though? :shock:
patiodweller
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by patiodweller »

Great show overall. HIP's energy level was 100%. It was nice to be in the Gold Circle section and it actually resemble a VIP section, unlike that SCAM in Toronto where we were caged animals nowhere near the stage! That was a disgrace. I wish the HIP would have come out at 9 instead of 9:30 (were they held up because the girl on the other stage was 30 minutes late coming to that stage? Can't both stages play at the same time? I don't see why not... And can't the HIP play past 11PM, albeit with them having to pay a fine for going over? Isn't that what many bands do?).
SoylentGreg
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by SoylentGreg »

patiodweller wrote:Great show overall. HIP's energy level was 100%. It was nice to be in the Gold Circle section and it actually resemble a VIP section, unlike that SCAM in Toronto where we were caged animals nowhere near the stage! That was a disgrace. I wish the HIP would have come out at 9 instead of 9:30 (were they held up because the girl on the other stage was 30 minutes late coming to that stage? Can't both stages play at the same time? I don't see why not... And can't the HIP play past 11PM, albeit with them having to pay a fine for going over? Isn't that what many bands do?).
9:30 was the time posted on the schedule, I don't think they were late. Concert was awesome, kinda wish I could have heard Transformation (since no one here is sharing it), Drip Drip was great and Streets Ahead was really muffled for some reason. When did they start doing the NOIS/Nautical/back to NOIS again, because that was effing epic. Venue was cool, hampered a little bit a bunch of fighting and scuffling around us (we were all the way on the right, right next to the VIP fence, and a lot of people tried to force their way up the fence after the show started and got pushed around by the people already there). Had a lot of fun, enjoyed seeing Ottawa for the first time, hoping for a couple of US dates near me later this year! :thumb:
mikethegoalie32
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

According to my watch, they came on a little early too! Around 9:25 :P.

Badu was still playing on the other stage when they came on to start, and I can hear a tiny bit of her during blow at high dough.

Bands can pay the fine if they go late (or the festival can as per the black keys due to weather). But I believe the fine is on a time basis, like every 5 minutes over or something, stupid ottawa.

And yes, Bluesfest knows how to set up their gold circle. I have been buying my parents at least tickets to one show in the gold circle since they moved to Lebreton, and the closeness and space they get they love.

As for the new songs, it does add flavor, but on this night at least where I was standing, it went from pumped crowd who was singing out each tune, to quiet hum, talking amongst each other, and wandering eyes. They just didnt work for the Ottawa crowd (which I knew would love the greatest hits playlist, as that is what this town is all about!) Was disappointed that the 2 new ones they played werent transformation and drip, like transformation better than the other one.

Oh well, another hip show in the books! Great one at that too. Not use to that much energy from an Ottawa crowd!
mikethegoalie32
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

And PS,

There are some great pics that the hip posted on their facebook page from the ottawa show. Some really sick shots!
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

mikethegoalie32 wrote:And PS,

There are some great pics that the hip posted on their facebook page from the ottawa show. Some really sick shots!
Rob shaved his goatee. He looks wayyyyy younger.
Moosehead
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Moosehead »

Even with the old songs, they seemed to be putting more of an effort into them to keep them fresh but still true to the original.. playing a bit with the timing or Gord's pronounciation. Seen a lot of shows and it was probably the best NOIS in a while (Nautical in the middle being a bonus.)
Is it just me, or is Fiddler's Green now overplayed? Haha... so hard to please.

Like everyone else said, the new songs vocals seemed washed out. Maybe they'll work better once I know the words.

Overall the set list was totally appropriate for the venue and for the limited time they had to work with. Wheat Kings would have been too much awesome and they had no choice but to leave it out. :)
TTH700FT
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by TTH700FT »

Moosehead wrote:Even with the old songs, they seemed to be putting more of an effort into them to keep them fresh but still true to the original.. playing a bit with the timing or Gord's pronounciation. Seen a lot of shows and it was probably the best NOIS in a while (Nautical in the middle being a bonus.)
Is it just me, or is Fiddler's Green now overplayed? Haha... so hard to please.

Like everyone else said, the new songs vocals seemed washed out. Maybe they'll work better once I know the words.

Overall the set list was totally appropriate for the venue and for the limited time they had to work with. Wheat Kings would have been too much awesome and they had no choice but to leave it out. :)
New songs definitely a bit muffled in terms of vocals, but I found the first two new songs to have some great energy and mix to them, with a kind of mix between WC and WATS. Especially lovin' the first sound, fast, hard beat with a lot of musicality to it; definitely found the last new song needed some work though.

All in all' although short, a fantastic show, lots of energy from the band, they seemed to be having a great time, and the Ottawa crowd is always better outdoors than indoors it seems; must be the summer that brings out the best in an Ottawa crowd; good on ya folks.
mrsardo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mrsardo »

TTH700FT wrote: New songs definitely a bit muffled in terms of vocals, but I found the first two new songs to have some great energy and mix to them, with a kind of mix between WC and WATS. Especially lovin' the first sound, fast, hard beat with a lot of musicality to it; definitely found the last new song needed some work though.

All in all' although short, a fantastic show, lots of energy from the band, they seemed to be having a great time, and the Ottawa crowd is always better outdoors than indoors it seems; must be the summer that brings out the best in an Ottawa crowd; good on ya folks.
There were only two new songs played this night (Transformation was not played).
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Just saw that the main stage collapsed tonight during Cheap Trick's set. No serious injuries reported. The headlining set by DCFC was cancelled.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

chris wrote:Just saw that the main stage collapsed tonight during Cheap Trick's set. No serious injuries reported. The headlining set by DCFC was cancelled.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
andy42g
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by andy42g »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... lapse.html

What a mess. :shock:
Amazing no one was killed.
mikethegoalie32
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

It was a ridiculous wind storm that hit ottawa. We were driving back from toronto and when I got home I was going to hit up the show. We actually had to slow down on the highway (dad was too stubborn to stop) because the wind was throwing cars side to side. When my friend messaged me saying the night was over, I actually didnt doubt something like that could happen with the wind. Very impressed only 3 people were hurt.