2011-07-09 - Ottawa Blues Festival - Ottawa, Ontario

Been to a show? Post your review.
thebends
Completist
Completist

Re: 2011-07-09 - Ottawa Blues Festival - Ottawa, Ontario

Post by thebends »

Something like this happened in Camrose AB a couple of years back, in that case I believe there were fatalities. What's remarkable to me is that BluesFest organizers dis not suspend the event when there was plenty of warning through Environment Canada and other sources. The storm hit Pettawawa hard a couple of hours before and the live weather radar clearly showed the storm heading directly for the Ottawa region. I know hindsight is 20\20 but it seems like a little vigilance on the weather could have made things a lot safer. It’s amazing there weren't more people hurt or killed.
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
downie_24
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by downie_24 »

My wife and I were watching the weather network and the warning for Ottawa only came on around 6:40pm and it hit at 7:20 There had previously been a warning for upper gatineau so there must've been a slight change in wind direction. I thought the organizers did a good job considering the information that was available. As soon as the first jolt of lightning hit, they took them off the stage.
BakersBrew
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BakersBrew »

mikethegoalie32 wrote:According to my watch, they came on a little early too! Around 9:25 :P.

Badu was still playing on the other stage when they came on to start, and I can hear a tiny bit of her during blow at high dough.

Bands can pay the fine if they go late (or the festival can as per the black keys due to weather). But I believe the fine is on a time basis, like every 5 minutes over or something, stupid ottawa.

And yes, Bluesfest knows how to set up their gold circle. I have been buying my parents at least tickets to one show in the gold circle since they moved to Lebreton, and the closeness and space they get they love.

As for the new songs, it does add flavor, but on this night at least where I was standing, it went from pumped crowd who was singing out each tune, to quiet hum, talking amongst each other, and wandering eyes. They just didnt work for the Ottawa crowd (which I knew would love the greatest hits playlist, as that is what this town is all about!) Was disappointed that the 2 new ones they played werent transformation and drip, like transformation better than the other one.

Oh well, another hip show in the books! Great one at that too. Not use to that much energy from an Ottawa crowd!
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana