2011-06-21 - Showplace Theatre - Peterborough, Ontario

Been to a show? Post your review.
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Re: 2011-06-21 - Showplace Theatre - Peterborough, Ontario

Post by nhaste »

mojo_mattv wrote:
thefivehole wrote:wait, they played new songs??
This does indeed change everything! :jump
Yes, 3 new songs.

I was disappointed by the lack of We Are The Same material, Love Is A First would pretty much be at the bottom of what I would want to hear from that album. I hope we haven't seen the end of The Depression Suite and Morning Moon etc.
bcarvel
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by bcarvel »

how did the new songs sound?
Jack Straw
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Jack Straw »

I'm interested to hear how the new songs sound. Overall though you'd have to say kind of a disappointing setlist for a fan-club show. Seems more like a festival setlist to me.

Anything can happen though... 38 Yrs Old @ Fort York comes to mind... So time will tell.

The first page of a book doesn't tell the whole story.

Thanks for the setlist updates to whomever was sending them in and to 'the bends' for posting here.

g'night
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

Blow and Grace as openers!
They could just do that an walk off, and I'd be happy!
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Nice to see The Kids Don't Get It back in the set. That song is a beast in concert.
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

direwolf74 wrote:Nice to see The Kids Don't Get It back in the set. That song is a beast in concert.
Agreed, really disappointed not to see it too often last tour.
Dire Wolf
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Dire Wolf »

Yes they played a bunch of GH, but some of the songs were done a bit differently than usual. Wheat Kings for example. Rob incorporates the electric at the end similar to how ABAC has been performed over the last couple of tours. Remember, this was a warm up show for the boys, however you wouldn't know it from Rob's playing...he was amazing as usual and Gord's voice was very strong tonight. Kid's was very tight and better than I remember from the '06 tour. Locked was very strong, as usual. All in all a great evening...glad I made the trip
"They're your blues, we just play 'em"
MAverick
Completist
Completist

Post by MAverick »

New songs were called: Streets Ahead, Drip Drip & Transformation
birdseyeview
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by birdseyeview »

How long were they on for?
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

Interesting setlist. As a diehard fan of course id love to hear nothing but deep album cuts. Truthfully, if the seats are filled with casual fans, the GH would be fine. The guys always deliver no matter what they play!
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

Here's a bit of a better review than my one from last night!

The venue was really small, I would say the smallest venue I've seen them in (I think smaller than The Empire Theatre in Belleville). Sound was good and lound (my ears were ringing). Gord was sporting a new look with a straw hat and glasses. As I mentioned before, Gord was very quiet... barely said anything. Quite different from the other fan shows I've been to (Belleville and Danforth), where he was chatting all the time.

Blow - A great opener, really got everyone into it right from the start
Grace - I much prefer this song near the beginning of the set rather than in the middle or the end as in the WATS tour
Love - Blah. I could do without this song personally. There are lots of other songs I'd rather hear from that album.
Good Life - I'm usually not a big fan of this song, but for some reason, I enjoyed it last night
Streets Ahead - Like the other reviews, I think I need to hear this song more to determine whether I like it or not. Definitely so far, my least favourite of the 3 new songs.
New Orleans/Nautical - I don't mind hearing New Orleans every night if they play it like this! Very cool.
ABAC - By this point, I was aching to hear a rarity... but this song is still awesome live.
In View - Sounds better without the keys IMO
Drip Drip - Quite upbeat. This and Transformation both sounded like they could be on the WC album. I think all 3 were also quite short and to the point.
Meridian - Personally, not one of my favourites, heard it too many times.
Gift Shop - Good rocking, straight-forward version
Fiddlers - Played electrically, similar to the WC tour
Transformation - I liked it. Probably my favourite of the 3 new ones.
Fully - By this point, I was really really hoping they'd play something non-greatest hits! I guess there's the new songs though.
Courage - Crowd sang the usual part.
Bobcaygeon - Got a big reaction from the crowd.
Poets - First time I've ever heard Gord sing it correctly, "find out how he gets paid"!
Locked - Best version I've heard of it.
Bones - Not my favourite.

Kids - Surprised to hear this. Gives me a glimmer of hope that they might pull out some surprises at the upcoming shows.
Wheat - Crowd ate it up.
Music - Was nice to see it closing a show.

Overall it was a good show. Was nice to hear new songs. From a fan's perspective, I was disappointed with the setlist. With the exception of the new songs I'd heard every one of them many, many times before. I do have a feeling that with the number of festival-type shows they have coming up, we are going to see this style of setlist for the duration of the tour. We were probably spoiled by the WATS tour!
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

:shock:
sean.bonner wrote:hip.com show.

Post your review.

01. Blow At High Dough
02. Grace, Too
03. Love Is A First
04. It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
05. Streets Ahead
06. New Orleans Is Sinking (Nautical Disaster)
07. Ahead By A Century
08. In View
09. Drip Drip
10. At The Hundredth Meridian
11. Gift Shop
12. Fiddler's Green
13. Transformation
14. Fully Completely
15. Courage
16. Bobcaygeon
17. Poets
18. Locked In The Trunk Of A Car
19. Little Bones

20. The Kids Don't Get It
21. Wheat Kings
22. My Music At Work
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

Looks like you guys missed out on 50MC twice AND Pistols! Damn, that would've been a cool encore.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

fanclub2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

I agree with the others that it seemed like a Greatest Hits Show, but who the hell cares? I hear the same songs everytime I go (according to my hip.com list, I've heard/seen NOIS 29 times), but I always find something different about the version that makes it unique.

I love the NOIS/Nautical duo. Nautical sounded the best I've heard it in a long time. And yes, Bobcaygeon is going to make people go nuts on Saturday.

The sound in that venue was amazing. You could hear all of Rob's stuff so clearly. You really see what an amazing bassist he is. My crush on him grew last night. :oops:

I was thrilled to hear new stuff, but its always interesting to see other people's reactions in the crowd. Most of the people around me (rows 1-7) sat down a lot through them and other stuff they didn't really like/know. I mentioned in the other thread that Streets Ahead will have to grow on me. Drip Drip and Transformation sounded great though, and I think they'll go over well.

Glad to see them back on the road!

ImageImageImageImage

More pics here