2012-07-11 - Calgary, Alberta

Been to a show? Post your review.
sherpahigh
Completist
Completist

Re: 2012-07-11 - Calgary, Alberta

Post by sherpahigh »

Great show last night. Definitely a party atmosphere, but everyone where I was was having a good time and not being obnoxious so no complaints from that end of things. Gord was in fine form ranting a lot and they sounded great up there. Loved Paul singing in Wheat Kings and Fiddlers was a real treat. Lots of jamming/improve during grace, too and many other points as well.

The new stuff all sounded great, though I'm not sold on Drip, Drip either.
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

sherpahigh wrote:Lots of jamming/improve during grace, too and many other points as well.
Gord's rant/intro to Grace last night was awesome. It must have been at least 3 or 4 minutes before he started into the first verse.
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

direwolf74 wrote:
sherpahigh wrote:Lots of jamming/improve during grace, too and many other points as well.
Gord's rant/intro to Grace last night was awesome. It must have been at least 3 or 4 minutes before he started into the first verse.
Couple of good vids on Youtube with the almost 4 minute intro to Grace, Too. "Greatest city in the world" rant after Harper's comments earlier in the week LOL. Looks like a massive crowd for a "private show"?
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
aaronck
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by aaronck »

Was a great night, I ended up getting a ticket for face value and headed down around 5. Caught Matt Good from the top of the hill and he sounded great.
Concert was set up fantastic, it's awesome to be able to enjoy a beer AND see a band at the same time, not having to be segregated to some beer garden with no view. The weather was perfect as well, just as I imagined when I first heard they were playing outdoors.

Grace was awesome, Gems was nice to see, the new songs did seem to confuse people, but then they blew them away with Blow at the end and everyone left happy.
borgs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by borgs »

thebends wrote: Couple of good vids on Youtube with the almost 4 minute intro to Grace, Too. "Greatest city in the world" rant after Harper's comments earlier in the week LOL. Looks like a massive crowd for a "private show"?
Could you post links? I couldn't find any videos of Grace,Too from Calgary on youtube. Thanks!
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

borgs wrote:
thebends wrote: Couple of good vids on Youtube with the almost 4 minute intro to Grace, Too. "Greatest city in the world" rant after Harper's comments earlier in the week LOL. Looks like a massive crowd for a "private show"?
Could you post links? I couldn't find any videos of Grace,Too from Calgary on youtube. Thanks!

http://youtu.be/NgTS1ClE9qQ .... grace is the second song in........... :thumb:
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by eatmecompletely »

NWOntario wrote:Thanks to those who followed along on Twitter! Here's the setlist:

(Intro music: Pearl Jam, "Worldwide Suicide")

At Transformation
Grace, Too
Bobcaygeon
Love Is A First
Man Machine Poem
At the Hundredth Meridian
Ahead By A Century
In View (apologies for the tweet, btw: "BORN IN THE WATER!!!!! Just kidding: In View." I shouldn't have done that.)
The Last of the Unplucked Gems
Gift Shop
My Music At Work
Fiddler's Green!
Poets
Drip Drip
Courage
New Orleans Is Sinking
Little Bones
Wheat Kings (encore)
Attawapiskat (encore)
Blow at High Dough (encore)

A few notes:
- The Stampede Roundup is a giant corporate junket that doubles as a fundraiser for the Rotary Club of Calgary. It's also a massive booze-up. You can imagine the kind of audience that resulted.
- Having said that, the crowd where we were was--for the most part--well-behaved. Drunk, yes, but well-behaved and respectful. The sing-a-long to "New Orleans" was FANTASTIC. Most of the new songs seemed to leave people confused.
- Great versions of "ABAC" and "Gift Shop".
- I could've done without "Fiddler's Green" tonight: wrong crowd, wrong atmosphere.
- Gord seemed to be having problems with the crowd down front; either before or after "Fiddler's Green" he made a totally-serious "stop throwing things" speech...although having said that, he sang "Poets" on the rail.
- On that note, there seemed to be a fight down front during "Little Bones". Gord incorporated the fight into an epic cat rant. Speaking of rants, there was a lot of talk about how light it was out (and it was).
- The new songs have me excited for the new album. Again, I hadn't listened to any of them (including "In Transformation") prior to this evening. "Drip Drip" is the one that left me non-plussed...but the other three? Aww, yeah.
- I'm one of the people complain about setlists. I cannot, in any way, shape, or form, complain about the band's performance tonight. "Gems" felt like a bone to some of the bigger fans in the audience...but otherwise, this was an occasion that called for a setlist packed with hits. We got one--and it was goooooooooood.
who the hell fights at a concert
we are all friends right?

That is such BS, why the need for violence everyone is there to just have fun

think the hip fans need to chill a little

I was just at Phish Atlantic City 30 000 people there ! and you could walk up touch the rail of the stage and walk back

All really good vibes

Not sure how to bring good vibes to a hip show, but fighting def hurts the feeling

Nothing sucks more than a fight, and nothing is dumber than a fight
Especailly when we are all paying for a good time

chill out all!
Dark Canuck17
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by Dark Canuck17 »

Ya drunk idiots that is one of the reasons I stopped going until this year because it was basically in my back yard and we just stayed back away from the fools...I think it is the younger meat heads with liquid courage who started drinking at 3:00 when doors opened...no thanks beer is way cheaper at my house and really cold...
want to be a nobody without peer
want to be a thought that's never done
want to shake your faith in human nature
want to break the hearts of everyone
want to be your wheezing screen door
want to be your stars of Algonquin
want to be your roaring floorboard
want to break the hearts of everyone
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

There was a good fight at I Mother Earth last night, as well...along with a circle pit. (A circle pit at an IME concert? Yup, now I've seen everything.) But it's Stampede + alcohol + "bro" mentality; it's a noxious combination in the wrong individual.
Earth
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Earth »

Here's a few shots from Calgary.

BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

great pics,never seen Gord S with glasses :shock: