2012-06-28 - Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON

Been to a show? Post your review.
mookytc
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Re: 2012-06-28 - Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON

Post by mookytc »

I understand the posts regarding the set list. If it is my fifth show on lengthy tour I feel the same (hoping for a long lost gem or two). Last night was about the atmosphere.
redhill
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by redhill »

enjoyed the evening and the venue and small crowd

Once i was lucky enough to grab tickets for this event..i got rid of my tickets for Saturday in NOTL

I must admit , I too was hoping for some new lifeblood inserted into the set list ( over an above the tunes from the new album)

I agree their catalouge is too deep and diverse to not utilize some of the songs we long for , but far too often do not get to hear live

I'll continue to go to the smaller venues with the same hope in mind
rich3677
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by rich3677 »

The band, the show, the venue, and the weather were all stellar. The setlist could have been improved upon for sure. However, IMHO that was not a band going through the motions by any stretch of the imagination.

On a side note, my ears are effing killing me today, they are worse then they have ever been after a concert and have not improved at all since last night. I think I really hurt my self this time and.....I have Sam Roberts tickets for tonight and Hip tickets for Saturday. I will literally be deaf by Sunday.
Dark Canuck17
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by Dark Canuck17 »

spottrax wrote:Very disappointing setlist indeed. Only 19 songs???
It was 20...we talk about this every year...this show was not a warm up for the tour it was for an outdoor show for 20 000 that they are not going to play hidden gems that we get but the rest don't especially for the NOTL show...most of these people going Saturday are going because of the venue...the only thing that sucked about last night was all of the wine club members or industry people that got tickets did not know hardly any songs on that set list and sat down all night :roll: that is what a lot of the crowd will be like Saturday...it was like a Leafs game with all the corporate boxes and not a whole lot of hardcore fans...

Believe me they were bang on full of energy no going through the motions here that is a bullshit comment :nooooo
want to be a nobody without peer
want to be a thought that's never done
want to shake your faith in human nature
want to break the hearts of everyone
want to be your wheezing screen door
want to be your stars of Algonquin
want to be your roaring floorboard
mookytc
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mookytc »

Dark Canuck17 wrote:

Believe me they were bang on full of energy no going through the motions here that is a bullshit comment :nooooo
Totally agreed...I was in the front row. Paul and Rob were mind blowing. Totally on fire.
rich3677
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by rich3677 »

Dark Canuck17 wrote:
and sat down all night
I guess i got lucky, everyone around me was standing the whole show, i don't think there were many VIPs where i was. And the guy two people down from me was jumping straight up and down :jump all night like he was on a trampoline, it was hilarious.
Dark Canuck17
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by Dark Canuck17 »

I was front row it was just when I looked back and my friend was one of the guys there with his boss that sat all night and his boss wife knew one F-ing song from that set list unbelievable waste of tickets that could have gone to people on here.
want to be a nobody without peer
want to be a thought that's never done
want to shake your faith in human nature
want to be your wheezing screen door
want to be your stars of Algonquin
want to be your roaring floorboard
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

thebends wrote:Found this on the Hip's facebook page. Its a good picture of Rob's pedal gear taken last night. I'm familiar with all of them except the one on the top left - any ideas?
Great Question! I agree, not sure what that one is... anyone??

Cool pic btw.
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

mookytc wrote:
Dark Canuck17 wrote:

Totally agreed...I was in the front row. Paul and Rob were mind blowing. Totally on fire.
Playing it safe and going thru the motions are two completely (and fully..lol) things. Not sure who had the comment about going thru the motions but it wasn't me. Playing songs that the band has played a zillion times allows them to be much more aggressive and entertaining on a different level. If the band played something the likes of say Cordellia, they would have to all work at it a bit. We all certainly overanalize these things...lol but it is simply because we have a passion for all things Hip.
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by eatmecompletely »

i was hoping the hip would change it up
and get back to the shows that got us all hooked

Hopefully this was just the begining of a fun interesting tour

anyone have any reviews
Did they play any of the songs differently

did they jam out anything

Did they play Daredevil figure this would be a cool venue for that !

You cant judge a show by the paper the set list is written on
Wheatking20
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Wheatking20 »

Kind of makes me worried for the new album tour. I really don't want to pay 60-70 dollars a ticket and get a greatest hits show i've seen 5000 times before. The hip always deliver a great show but need some diversity.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Wheatking20 wrote:Kind of makes me worried for the new album tour. I really don't want to pay 60-70 dollars a ticket and get a greatest hits show i've seen 5000 times before. The hip always deliver a great show but need some diversity.
You've seen 5000 shows?!?!?!? Wow.
redhill
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by redhill »

the boys are enjoying a round of golf at Lookout golf course in Fonthill this afternoon
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by eatmecompletely »

redhill wrote:the boys are enjoying a round of golf at Lookout golf course in Fonthill this afternoon
the boys?
they are no longer boys! They are seniors that play the same sh*t over and over again
You would think they would want to switch it up

However I guess mailing it in is easiest
mookytc
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mookytc »

The band performs these intimate shows as a favor and gift to their fans. At this stage of their professional music career what do they have to prove? Nothing in my opinion. They have done it all. Rob and Paul should always be mentioned with the great lead-rhythm players from legendary rock bands of the past.

My useless two cents...I still have that shiny after show glow.