2012-06-28 - Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON

Been to a show? Post your review.
redhill
Sherpa
Sherpa

Re: 2012-06-28 - Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON

Post by redhill »

eatmecompletely wrote:
redhill wrote:the boys are enjoying a round of golf at Lookout golf course in Fonthill this afternoon
the boys?
they are no longer boys! They are seniors that play the same sh*t over and over again
You would think they would want to switch it up

However I guess mailing it in is easiest

move along then if you are that pissed off.. no sweat off my ass
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

Dark Canuck17 wrote:
spottrax wrote:Very disappointing setlist indeed. Only 19 songs???
It was 20...we talk about this every year...this show was not a warm up for the tour it was for an outdoor show for 20 000 that they are not going to play hidden gems that we get but the rest don't especially for the NOTL show...most of these people going Saturday are going because of the venue...the only thing that sucked about last night was all of the wine club members or industry people that got tickets did not know hardly any songs on that set list and sat down all night :roll: that is what a lot of the crowd will be like Saturday...it was like a Leafs game with all the corporate boxes and not a whole lot of hardcore fans...

Believe me they were bang on full of energy no going through the motions here that is a bullshit comment :nooooo
Hey look, I wasn't at the show, so I can't speak to their level of energy. I've seen them 19 times and have never once seen them not bring full energy and enthusiasm to a performance, and that's not really what I was referring to. I stand by my comment however, that playing a boring hits laden setlist, in a smaller venue, that is supposed to be a "fan club" show or registered user show or whatever the hell it was billed as, which was more expensive to attend than the other shows on the tour was mailing it in.

And as I said, they can do whatever they want, and play whatever they want. It's unreasonable to expect absolutely anything from a musical band, they owe nothing to anybody. I did not purchase tickets to any summer shows because at this point I'm not interested in seeing boring setlists like this. It's my personal opinion, and its no skin off their back because they still sell tickets to people who don't care about setlists as much as I do. To that crowd that they're pandering too, playing all the hits and nothing else is what that particular crowd wants to hear, and for them that's whats easiest to play. They've literally played those songs over a thousand times in the last 20 years. To me, in my opinion, that's mailing it in.
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by eatmecompletely »

mookytc wrote:The band performs these intimate shows as a favor and gift to their fans. At this stage of their professional music career what do they have to prove? Nothing in my opinion. They have done it all. Rob and Paul should always be mentioned with the great lead-rhythm players from legendary rock bands of the past.

My useless two cents...I still have that shiny after show glow.
show was sponsored by canada post

they were showing how easy it is to mail!
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

emperor penguin wrote:
Dark Canuck17 wrote:
spottrax wrote:Very disappointing setlist indeed. Only 19 songs???
It was 20...we talk about this every year...this show was not a warm up for the tour it was for an outdoor show for 20 000 that they are not going to play hidden gems that we get but the rest don't especially for the NOTL show...most of these people going Saturday are going because of the venue...the only thing that sucked about last night was all of the wine club members or industry people that got tickets did not know hardly any songs on that set list and sat down all night :roll: that is what a lot of the crowd will be like Saturday...it was like a Leafs game with all the corporate boxes and not a whole lot of hardcore fans...

Believe me they were bang on full of energy no going through the motions here that is a bullshit comment :nooooo
Hey look, I wasn't at the show, so I can't speak to their level of energy. I've seen them 19 times and have never once seen them not bring full energy and enthusiasm to a performance, and that's not really what I was referring to. I stand by my comment however, that playing a boring hits laden setlist, in a smaller venue, that is supposed to be a "fan club" show or registered user show or whatever the hell it was billed as, which was more expensive to attend than the other shows on the tour was mailing it in.

And as I said, they can do whatever they want, and play whatever they want. It's unreasonable to expect absolutely anything from a musical band, they owe nothing to anybody. I did not purchase tickets to any summer shows because at this point I'm not interested in seeing boring setlists like this. It's my personal opinion, and its no skin off their back because they still sell tickets to people who don't care about setlists as much as I do. To that crowd that they're pandering too, playing all the hits and nothing else is what that particular crowd wants to hear, and for them that's whats easiest to play. They've literally played those songs over a thousand times in the last 20 years. To me, in my opinion, that's mailing it in.
I see both sides of this. I think there are many on this forum that have seen the band live many times. The bar is pretty high and, aside from the actual set list content, we all expect (and typically get) one of the best live shows in the planet. If on top of that you are looking for a killer set list full of un-plucked gems then don't hold your breath at this point of the band's career, even for these so called registered fan shows. It’s just not happening, who cares why ... just move on and don't buy the ticket. Do your homework and wait things out, everything will come out in the wash.
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
mookytc
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mookytc »

From thebends:

"I see both sides of this. I think there are many on this forum that have seen the band live many times. The bar is pretty high and, aside from the actual set list content, we all expect (and typically get) one of the best live shows in the planet. If on top of that you are looking for a killer set list full of un-plucked gems then don't hold your breath at this point of the band's career, even for these so called registered fan shows. It’s just not happening, who cares why ... just move on and don't buy the ticket. Do your homework and wait things out, everything will come out in the wash."

Hear hear...happy holiday (weekend and week) all!
WesleyC.
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by WesleyC. »

emperor penguin wrote:
direwolf74 wrote:These guys are my favorite band of all time, and it saddens me to think that they might be going through the motions these days, but it certainly seems like that's exactly what's happening...at least over the past year or so. As a veteran band who has played thousands of shows, you'd think they'd be sick to death of playing certain songs. There's a great quote from Eddie Vedder from the Pearl Jam Twenty documentary where he says something like "we could easily tour every couple of years and play the same setlist every night and just play the hits, but I just can't bring myself to do that."

The Hip could really learn a few lessons from that band. That being said, I still want to give them the benefit of the doubt, and I pray that these boring, predictable setlists are nothing more than a summer festival thing. I think the proper album release tour in the fall will determine whether or not they're going through the motions. We'll just have to wait and see.
Agreed, and I can see why they would play these setlists at big GA summer shows, but to play a setlist like tonight's at a more expensive, "fan club" show at a small intimate venue is totally unacceptable. I am also holding out hope the album tour will be different. The last tour for We Are the Same was great and diverse.
I saw all three shows they played in Kitchener for the We Are The Same tour and it was fuckin AWSOME that they played so many different tunes. Those 3 shows set the bar so high that it might just be impossible to reach it again unless they do that formatt again. Last year I went to Bobcageyon then Downsview and saw basically the exact same show at both places, very dissapointed at the set list also, greatest hits are ok but man Im so sick of hearing the same stuff for 3 or 4 shows in a row, I mean why even bother going to more than one show if its all the same. After reading about the Jackson Triggs setlist, im kind of annoyed that I will probably hear the same stuff tomorrow and mabey just one or two gems thrown in there. Oh well, I guess they are playing to everyone and not just the fans. I recall one guy who was PISSED OFF at one of the Kitchener shows as he complained how they are "playin all this other shit" I was very annoyed with him but I guess I can understand his point of view, probably 75 to 90% of the poeple who go are only going to one show so they want the hits.
WesleyC.
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by WesleyC. »

rich3677 wrote:The band, the show, the venue, and the weather were all stellar. The setlist could have been improved upon for sure. However, IMHO that was not a band going through the motions by any stretch of the imagination.

On a side note, my ears are effing killing me today, they are worse then they have ever been after a concert and have not improved at all since last night. I think I really hurt my self this time and.....I have Sam Roberts tickets for tonight and Hip tickets for Saturday. I will literally be deaf by Sunday.
WHAT?
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

ron wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYrsU5BBo5A

poets from thursday night
Awesome!
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
the_wheat_king
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by the_wheat_king »

Great show! New songs sounded great and can't wait for the new album to hear them all. Great venue as well at Jackson Triggs Winery. Me and my fiance stuck around after the show and waited to see if any of the boys came down to hangout with the VIP's/family and Paul ended up coming down! We chatted with him for a bit and I got a pic with him (below) Great guy and another great show!

[img]
P1050918-01.jpg
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
02/18/99Hamilton * 12/03/00Toronto * 12/21/00Hamilton * 10/21/01Toronto * 10/15/02Toronto * 12/30/02Hamilton * 06/21/03Toronto * 09/06/03Barrie * 07/01/04Toronto * 07/23/04Darien Lake * 11/26/04Toronto * 11/27/04London * 12/31/04Hamilton * 06/18/06Guelph * 02/06/07Hamilton * 02/08/07Toronto * 09/30/09Hamilton * 10/03/09Hamilton * 06/28/12Niagara-on-the-Lake * 02/05/2013Kitchener * 02/14/2013Toronto * 02/20/2015Montreal * 07/01/2015Toronto
mookytc
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mookytc »

Very nice picture!
Graham
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Graham »

NegPhil wrote:Looks like plan B is exactly like plan A. Wake up boys the fans are pissed off.
Jesus Christ. Really? You get "Gems" and "Man Machine" whatever that is, you get a small show at an outdoor venue and it's like they're dead to you?

Hey I saw Bryan Adams last week. He didn't even have a fuckin setlist taped to the floor. He played all of one song from his new album. I was happy someone lit a blunt to drown out the cougar perfume so it was tolerable. It was 90 effing dollars.

I don't know about some people around here. But I still feel pretty damn lucky about this band.
Summiteer
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Summiteer »

ron wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYrsU5BBo5A

poets from thursday night

Love it Thanks!
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

Graham wrote:
NegPhil wrote:Looks like plan B is exactly like plan A. Wake up boys the fans are pissed off.
Jesus Christ. Really? You get "Gems" and "Man Machine" whatever that is, you get a small show at an outdoor venue and it's like they're dead to you?

Hey I saw Bryan Adams last week. He didn't even have a fuckin setlist taped to the floor. He played all of one song from his new album. I was happy someone lit a blunt to drown out the cougar perfume so it was tolerable. It was 90 effing dollars.

I don't know about some people around here. But I still feel pretty damn lucky about this band.

Chill out dude. :lol:

First of all, $90 for Bryan Adams? You must of been smoking a blunt when you bought that ticket.
Secondly, it was a Hip fan club show and they only played one rare song. Thirdly, Bryan Adams?
daylight
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by daylight »

emperor penguin wrote:Really a great "fan club" setlist here. Nothing is more rewarding for $80 than hearing the same songs you've heard 1000 times before, again.
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn. Glad I missed the presale and glad I missed this show. I'll buy the album but I'm done with live shows.