2012-07-03 - Bala, Ontario

Been to a show? Post your review.
BakersBrew
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Re: 2012-07-03 - Bala, Ontario

Post by BakersBrew »

The Hip playing in Bala would of been epic back in their hayday. The setlists continue to suck and suggest they either don't listen to their fans or simply don't care. This is why they are now just another band....and really nothing to get excited about like in the past.
paulster2626
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by paulster2626 »

Yeah but how was the VIP section?
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

All the setlist whiners can suck it. The comment that they aren't listening to their fans is ludicrous.

The 18 or so fans here at Hipbase that think the setlists should be wildly different night-to-night and include deep cuts and rarities are not the target market. It's the 19,982 other fans that left NOTL and Oro screaming to their buddies that it was the "greatest show EVAH!!!!". Or for the few hundred (The Kee accommodates 720 people) that spilled out into Bala after the show smiling from ear-to-ringing-ear.

I've seen a lot of Hip shows and this one was as high-energy and entertaing as any.
farmerdan
Completist
Completist

Post by farmerdan »

chris wrote:All the setlist whiners can suck it. The comment that they aren't listening to their fans is ludicrous.

The 18 or so fans here at Hipbase that think the setlists should be wildly different night-to-night and include deep cuts and rarities are not the target market. It's the 19,982 other fans that left NOTL and Oro screaming to their buddies that it was the "greatest show EVAH!!!!". Or for the few hundred (The Kee accommodates 720 people) that spilled out into Bala after the show smiling from ear-to-ringing-ear.

I've seen a lot of Hip shows and this one was as high-energy and entertaing as any.
Exactly Chris. I left last night completely(and fully?) satisfied! Would I have like a somewhat more diverse setlist, maybe. But I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever about the show I was fortunate enough to witness!
mookytc
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mookytc »

Yeppers I felt the same way after the J-Triggs show especially as it had been almost three years since my last show.
rivum
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by rivum »

chris wrote:All the setlist whiners can suck it. The comment that they aren't listening to their fans is ludicrous.

well said, chris.
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

I've had about, oh, 4 hrs sleep, but felt the need to comment on the show right away! This was my 40th show and i couldn't have asked for anything better. Had a great vantage point close enought to the stage, but not straining your neck too much!

Highlights: the extended meridian (and Gord's speed of singing!); Fiddler's Green (i just love that song); NOIS (where Gord changed it up a bit and the boys had to watch him to see how to proceed); Paul singing a verse in WK ( the crowd roaring for him was pretty awesome - he clearly needs to sing more); the crowd jumping up and down during Blow; Gord being the old Gord (being animated and talkative); meeting up with nice folks from this site; standing outside for three hours after the show with said people hoping that we might get to talk to the boys; the boys getting off the bus three hours after the show to come over to talk to us for a bit (we met Gavin Brown too - cool guy); Gord saying a pretty cool thing to Tiger (i'm jealous!); cutting the driving time home by 45mins!

I'm sure i'll think of more later. For now - back to sleep. Lots of pics later too.
emperpenguin
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by emperpenguin »

chris wrote:courage rules.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

emperpenguin wrote:
chris wrote:courage rules.
Do you have a point or are you just letting us know that you're a dick?
daylight
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by daylight »

The 18 or so fans here at Hipbase that think the setlists should be wildly different night-to-night and include deep cuts and rarities are not the target market. It's the 19,982 other fans that left NOTL and Oro screaming to their buddies that it was the "greatest show EVAH!!!!". Or for the few hundred (The Kee accommodates 720 people) that spilled out into quote]
Bala after the show smiling from ear-to-ringing-ear.

I think they could easily cater to both long-time fans and casual fans.
Last edited by daylight on Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mintgreenbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mintgreenbird »

Let's face it most people don't go see thehip 3 times in 4 days. The shows are designed for the casual fan. For me personally it's not the depth or rarities of the setlist it's that they are almost exactly the same. Could we have heard another new song in place of mmp? Or another track from wats besids loveisafirst? I'm not asking for a whole show of rarities just a slightly mixed up set night to night. I know I have to hear certain songs every time I see them. I would feel bad for the person going to their first show and dident hear nois. No complaints just surprised that in 4 shows all w/in an hour or so of rachother we dident reAly get a variety. Dosent even have to be a variety of songs I want just a little mix up. Thou it seems most people @notl were not at burls creek
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

mintgreenbird wrote: I'm not asking for a whole show of rarities just a slightly mixed up set night to night. I know I have to hear certain songs every time I see them. I would feel bad for the person going to their first show and dident hear nois. No complaints just surprised that in 4 shows all w/in an hour or so of rachother we dident reAly get a variety. Dosent even have to be a variety of songs I want just a little mix up.
Took the words right out of my mouth. I don't mind hearing songs like NOIS, Grace, ABAC, Blow, Bobcaygeon or Meridian at every show. Those are the songs that they're known for, and I understand why they have to be played. I just want a little more diversity, that's all. Even if they just switched out 4 or 5 songs and added in one or two rarities mixed in with the hits, I'd be more than satisfied. Anyways, like I mentioned in another thread, I'm confident that the upcoming fall tour will see them mixing things up a bit more.
Wheatking20
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Wheatking20 »

I've read a few posts on here about the set lists and i think i've changed my opinion on this subject. I was first in the opinion of the set lists need more diversity and change. Now that i think about it, it's like the old saying "You won't miss it till it's gone". Like it or not the Hip can't do this forever and we should be grateful that we can enjoy their music. When these guys retire and move on we'll be begging for a greatest hits set list or show. The hip have always delivered their best 99.9 percent of the time. Instead of complaining, just sit back and enjoy the ride. It won't last forever.
wheresourpigeoncamera
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by wheresourpigeoncamera »

This whole topic about setlists is a hot one. I live in Newfoundland and have seen the hip 16 times. Most of these shows were in NL but I have seen them 6 times outside the province. I feel blessed to take in any hip show. Took in last years bluesfest show in Ottawa. It was a shorter hip show full of greatest hits. It was an amazing show and the other 30000 fans would agree. That being said, I think when they do their next tour, they should take 10-15 gems/rarities and put three of them into the setlist each night like they did with the acoustic set on the wats tour. That way they can play the new songs, which I love to hear, the hits, for the casual fans, and the rarities for the die hards. That would be a great tour. To you guys who are seeing them this summer, LUCKY YOU, and enjoy the shows.
BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

My turn,lol.I'm at appx the 30 show mark and this one was one of the best evah! My only complaint is that I'm getting old,can't do the festival shows anymore,and am lucky enough to be spoiled by the best band on the planet with a small show like this one.other than taking some pictures,I danced my ass off to every song,was covered in sweat,and loved every minute of this setlist.nice meeting up with chris,mark,sarah,francesco for drinks preshow and hanging out with everyone after.Just when I thought we were beat for a meet/greet Billy Ray hooked it up and the boys took the time to talk and take pictures with all of us.Always a class act.I had a few too many pops to drive and slept in my van from 2-7am(last to leave the venue)lol.I am stoked,Hip Hip Hip! Thx Sarah.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BIGVDOGG on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.