2012-07-03 - Bala, Ontario

Been to a show? Post your review.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

2012-07-03 - Bala, Ontario

Post by sean.bonner »

A pinch a sting
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Re: 2012-07-03 - Bala, Ontario

Post by mojo_mattv »

REALLY excited to see how this set shapes up, even though I'm not going :cry:
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

I predict NOIS will be played 8 times with an encore of Blow 3 times in a row, but each one will contain a different little jam and Gord rant. In all seriousness, It will be interesting to see what they play here. I doubt it'll be anything different from the norm though, and I'm not gonna complain about it anymore. I get why they play what they play, the only show that bothered me was Jackson Triggs because of the extra price for tickets, the venue, and the way the show was billed as a fan club show. To all who are going to this, have a blast. Seeing any show in this wonderful little venue is a great time.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

emperor penguin wrote:I predict NOIS will be played 8 times with an encore of Blow 3 times in a row, but each one will contain a different little jam and Gord rant. In all seriousness, It will be interesting to see what they play here. I doubt it'll be anything different from the norm though, and I'm not gonna complain about it anymore. I get why they play what they play, the only show that bothered me was Jackson Triggs because of the extra price for tickets, the venue, and the way the show was billed as a fan club show. To all who are going to this, have a blast. Seeing any show in this wonderful little venue is a great time.
Was it billed as a "Fan Club" show? Or a show for "Registered Members of thehip.com"?
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

chris wrote:
emperor penguin wrote:I predict NOIS will be played 8 times with an encore of Blow 3 times in a row, but each one will contain a different little jam and Gord rant. In all seriousness, It will be interesting to see what they play here. I doubt it'll be anything different from the norm though, and I'm not gonna complain about it anymore. I get why they play what they play, the only show that bothered me was Jackson Triggs because of the extra price for tickets, the venue, and the way the show was billed as a fan club show. To all who are going to this, have a blast. Seeing any show in this wonderful little venue is a great time.
Was it billed as a "Fan Club" show? Or a show for "Registered Members of thehip.com"?
I guess just a registered users show, and I see the difference. That's a fair point. I guess I'm just basing it on the Belleville show, and Lee's Palace show which were billed as the same thing, and were more diverse in terms of setlist, and as I recall they were a little more expensive than a normal show too, at least Belleville was due to the venue and the exclusivity of it.
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

emperor penguin wrote:
chris wrote:
I guess just a registered users show, and I see the difference. That's a fair point. I guess I'm just basing it on the Belleville show, and Lee's Palace show which were billed as the same thing, and were more diverse in terms of setlist, and as I recall they were a little more expensive than a normal show too, at least Belleville was due to the venue and the exclusivity of it.
Actually, the Lee's Palace show wasn't diverse at all:

Poets, New Orleans, Fireworks, Fully, Grace, Courage, Use It Up, Gift, ABAC, Darkest, Puttin Down, Meridian, Bob C, Nautical, Music. Encore: Lake Fever, All Tore Up, Blow

The Belleville show was much better, but that entire tour followed that formula (ie. the 2 Fort York shows with no repeats). Every show included some rarities, not just Belleville.

It seems to me that these Registered Users/Fan Club shows don't differ too much from the other shows on their respective tours.
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

nhaste wrote:
Actually, the Lee's Palace show wasn't diverse at all:

Poets, New Orleans, Fireworks, Fully, Grace, Courage, Use It Up, Gift, ABAC, Darkest, Puttin Down, Meridian, Bob C, Nautical, Music. Encore: Lake Fever, All Tore Up, Blow

The Belleville show was much better, but that entire tour followed that formula (ie. the 2 Fort York shows with no repeats). Every show included some rarities, not just Belleville.

It seems to me that these Registered Users/Fan Club shows don't differ too much from the other shows on their respective tours.
I meant the Danforth show in 2009 instead of the Lee's Palace show. And that show was highly diverse. They played Eldorado, Stay, The Bear, Titanic Terrarium, Pigeon Camera, Escape is at Hand and Tiger the Lion. Not to mention songs from the two previous albums before WATS. It sucks that they just drop every song from every album after M@W save for maybe the biggest hit off of the previous album, in this case LIAF.

You are correct that these shows do follow the trend for the future shows on the tour. I was just disappointed with the setlist at the Jackson Triggs show. I think a back catalogue like the Hip has deserves to be brought out at a show like that, at least out of respect for the hardcore fans that would appreciate a couple of gems. I've seen 19 shows and have never once seen Cordelia or Thugs, they used to play those songs every show every tour. Now they never play them ever. I'm starting to piss myself off with all this bitching I'm doing, and I'm not trying to come across like a negative asshole. I won't say anything more about it.
farmerdan
Completist
Completist

Post by farmerdan »

Here the setlist:

Man machine poem
At transformation
Grace 2
M@w
Goodlife
Gift shop
In view
Fiddlers
Look ahead
Courage
Streets ahead
Poets
Abac
100th
Bobc
Attawapiskat
New o

Blow
Wheat kings
Bones/fire/verge
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Mr. Lahey »

Nothing like working 12 hrs overtime on a night shift when the Hip are playing the Kee :p

Re: setlists

I don't think it's the end of the world if they don't mix it up as much as we'd like. But I'd be very interested to hear their logic behind the sets this summer.

I think in a way many of us have become Hip snobs and it's like we're above listening to a hit heavy set.
Jack Straw
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Jack Straw »

By comparison Phish are only 15 shows into their summer tour and have played 183 different song titles... apples & oranges but, it IS possible to keep the new songs in every show & rotate some other 'Hits' in that would please a 'Festival Crowd'... 50MC, Fully, Twist, 38, 3 Pistols, Locked, Nautical, Springtime, Escape, Gus, Family Band, Ocean come to mind immediately... Call it a tip of the cap to the fan that sprung a lot for 3 shows in a row, had to arrange time off, travel, accommodations & possibly explain to a wife why seeing a band 3 times in a row was a sound, sane & essential investment... Whatever... All I know is that those first 15-20 shows in 2009 were fuckin' awesome with their 2 set format and grab bag song selections... It was definitely a treat to be spoiled that way... C'est la vie...
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

farmerdan69 wrote:Here the setlist:

Man machine poem
At transformation
Grace 2
M@w
Goodlife
Gift shop
In view
Fiddlers
Look ahead
Courage
Streets ahead
Poets
Abac
100th
Bobc
Attawapiskat
New o

Blow
Wheat kings
Bones/fire/verge
Bones, Fire and Verge??? Are you serious? That would kill!
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

My two bathroom break songs are gift and courage. Only for the simple fact that Gd doesn't sing them anymore. He screams the chorus's. I would cetainly trade off those two for ANY other songs on those albums ie.... 700 ft or Sprintime for Gift and Fully C or 50 Mission Cap for Courage.... just sayin

Nice to see Fiddlers in there..... top 3 hip songs IMO
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Mr. Lahey »

spottrax wrote:
farmerdan69 wrote:Here the setlist:

Man machine poem
At transformation
Grace 2
M@w
Goodlife
Gift shop
In view
Fiddlers
Look ahead
Courage
Streets ahead
Poets
Abac
100th
Bobc
Attawapiskat
New o

Blow
Wheat kings
Bones/fire/verge
Bones, Fire and Verge??? Are you serious? That would kill!
Typically when they write the set xxx/xxx/xxx they pick one of the 3 unfortunately. Cause that WOULD kill! Miss Fire in the Hole pounding in my ears to end sets/encores.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

farmerdan69 was oh so close:

Man machine poem
At transformation
Grace 2
M@w
Goodlife
Gift shop
In view
Fiddlers
Look ahead
Courage
Streets ahead
Poets
Abac
100th
Bobc
Attawapiskat
New o

Wheat kings
Blow

Somehow I got stuck with three of the dumbest tree stumps in front of me.
farmerdan
Completist
Completist

Post by farmerdan »

I only wrote what was on the setlist!

Great show tonight. Had an awesome view! Took home the setlist, an even met a couple of guys from the Trews. All in all, I couldn't ask for more!