2012-07-03 - Bala, Ontario

Been to a show? Post your review.
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Re: 2012-07-03 - Bala, Ontario

Post by nhaste »

I think the bottom line is that everyone goes to Hip shows for different reasons and is entitled to their own opinion as to what they expect.

I personally, having gone to 30 plus shows, love that moment in a gig when a song starts that I've never heard them play before, or weren't expecting them to play. I appreciate that they are not just catering to me, and need to play songs that the causal fan has shelled out money to hear. They have always done a great job I think of balancing that.

I understand that they have been recording a new album, and apparently only rehearsed for 1 day before these recent shows. I just hope when they do a full tour in the fall, that they return to their usual formula, I expect they will.

For evidence look at the sets for the 2004 and 2008 Summer shows. Basically greatest hits and repetitive sets, but the following major tours were much more diverse.

Nick
tigerthelion88
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by tigerthelion88 »

amzing show vibe, special feel venue, and a beautiful canadian setting.

man machine opener, wicked fast meridian, ear splitting grace, fanful courage, lasting giftshop, surprise fiddlers, paul versed wheat kings, lifted blow! n on...

great jams, great crowd.

happy to meet some hipbase fans, and thanks to thier company, waited out all the boyz (and gavinn) after the showw! - their all pinned to the earth and laidback-cool as fuckk!

great fukn night.
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

chris wrote:All the setlist whiners can suck it. The comment that they aren't listening to their fans is ludicrous.

The 18 or so fans here at Hipbase that think the setlists should be wildly different night-to-night and include deep cuts and rarities are not the target market. It's the 19,982 other fans that left NOTL and Oro screaming to their buddies that it was the "greatest show EVAH!!!!". Or for the few hundred (The Kee accommodates 720 people) that spilled out into Bala after the show smiling from ear-to-ringing-ear.

I've seen a lot of Hip shows and this one was as high-energy and entertaing as any.
I officially gave up the setlist banter a few days ago....I'm exempt from sucking anything... :lol:
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by eatmecompletely »

Jack Straw wrote:By comparison Phish are only 15 shows into their summer tour and have played 183 different song titles... apples & oranges but, it IS possible to keep the new songs in every show & rotate some other 'Hits' in that would please a 'Festival Crowd'... 50MC, Fully, Twist, 38, 3 Pistols, Locked, Nautical, Springtime, Escape, Gus, Family Band, Ocean come to mind immediately... Call it a tip of the cap to the fan that sprung a lot for 3 shows in a row, had to arrange time off, travel, accommodations & possibly explain to a wife why seeing a band 3 times in a row was a sound, sane & essential investment... Whatever... All I know is that those first 15-20 shows in 2009 were fuckin' awesome with their 2 set format and grab bag song selections... It was definitely a treat to be spoiled that way... C'est la vie...
Phish is killing it right now !
Someone should by Gord a ticket to their spac show and some bath salts

maybe it will bring back some excitment to the hip

Before that guy who posts saying there are 19000 fans that want this greatest hits crap,!

Well I speak for myself and these shows look boring
Summiteer
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Summiteer »

eatmecompletely wrote:
Jack Straw wrote:By comparison Phish are only 15 shows into their summer tour and have played 183 different song titles... apples & oranges but, it IS possible to keep the new songs in every show & rotate some other 'Hits' in that would please a 'Festival Crowd'... 50MC, Fully, Twist, 38, 3 Pistols, Locked, Nautical, Springtime, Escape, Gus, Family Band, Ocean come to mind immediately... Call it a tip of the cap to the fan that sprung a lot for 3 shows in a row, had to arrange time off, travel, accommodations & possibly explain to a wife why seeing a band 3 times in a row was a sound, sane & essential investment... Whatever... All I know is that those first 15-20 shows in 2009 were fuckin' awesome with their 2 set format and grab bag song selections... It was definitely a treat to be spoiled that way... C'est la vie...

Before that guy who posts saying there are 19000 fans that want this greatest hits crap,!

Wow, dude you are seriously Jaded :scratch:
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Summiteer wrote:
eatmecompletely wrote:

Wow, dude you are seriously Jaded :scratch:
Extremely LOL !
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

eatmecompletely wrote:

Is there a such thing as a casual phish fan/do phish even have a set of greatest hits they could play?
FallingUp
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by FallingUp »

Can't we just enjoy the music and stop bitching about the setlists? After all these years, The Hip are still together & are still putting out fantastic new songs.

There's no point in getting upset about what songs they decide to play. Just be thankful that they're performing great shows!!!
farmerdan
Completist
Completist

Post by farmerdan »

I took a couple of vids of the new songs with my iphone, here's the first one:
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

mojo_mattv wrote:
eatmecompletely wrote:

Is there a such thing as a casual phish fan/do phish even have a set of greatest hits they could play?

not sure what you mean by greatest hits

Phish kinda just goes by the mood they are in

they have no set greatest hits, because they are always changing it up and keeping the shows interesting

Phish's fan base is very demanding and critical and listen to every note the band plays !

The hip's fan base consists of 99.9% casual fans and 10 hardcore fans that post on this board
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

farmerdan69 wrote:I took a couple of vids of the new songs with my iphone, here's the first one:

very cool! any better sounding versions out there?
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

eatmecompletely wrote:
farmerdan69 wrote:I took a couple of vids of the new songs with my iphone, here's the first one:

The whole concert was filmed in HD with external mics... But our agreement with the band is that we won't post our recordings of shows that contain new songs until the CD is released.
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

chris wrote:
eatmecompletely wrote:

The whole concert was filmed in HD with external mics... But our agreement with the band is that we won't post our recordings of shows that contain new songs until the CD is released.
not to sound like an ass
but phihs has a great taping policy at all their shows also provides their fans with a copy of the sbd for dl that night

phish gets it

Pearl Jam Gets it

the hip need to get with the times
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

eatmecompletely wrote:not to sound like an ass
but phihs has a great taping policy at all their shows also provides their fans with a copy of the sbd for dl that night

phish gets it

Pearl Jam Gets it

the hip need to get with the times
Because two bands do it The Hip should do it? Is that the logic here?

If so maybe that's what they're doing with their set lists - there are LOTS of bands that perform the exact same set every single night. I saw John Mellancamp and they were selling a program for the concert that contained the setlist, when various performers would be on stage, a timeline so you knew that at 9:42 the were going to be starting Jack & Diane...

Let's just enjoy what they do. And if you don't enjoy it, move on and spend your time, money and energy somewhere else.
Last edited by chris on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farmerdan
Completist
Completist

Post by farmerdan »

chris wrote:
eatmecompletely wrote:

I did ask MAv about uploading this to youtube, and he said it was cool to do so...