Goodnight Attawapiskat

Break (Did I miss one?)

Courage
100th
Bob
Look Ahead
Nautical Disaster
Blow at high dough

Worst show of the tour. Decent energy and okay performance. Set list just sucked ass. I blew it. Picked between Roch and SYr. Passed up the best show for the worst. I give up.

In the car driving home. A few thoughts. Ill take the flames.

-Everthing I heard about previous shows on this tour that had me excited about tonight did not materialize. It was a greatest hits show. Gord screamed through most of the songs.
-there was no security. We had good seats on the isle maybe 10 rows back. 5 songs in the aisle was full of people just standing looking for a better view. It made my view worse. Good for them. Bad for me.
-when you have seen a band as many times as I have seen the Hip it all comes down to the songs they play. Tonight the set list was full of dogs. The encore was especially horrific. NOIS and Blow, ouch.
-positives: the band had good energy and the crowd was into the hits.
-I blew it. Should have went to the epic Rochester show. Tonight, the Hip lost my trust. After over 50 shows that might be it for me.
Last edited by MalcolmKellyRaps on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
mintgreenbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Re: 2012-11-16 - Syracuse, New York

Post by mintgreenbird »

Was going to post the same cuz the guys dident seem to be gelling and there seemed to be some problems w sound but (oddly enough) when in view kicked in they seemed to mesh and the rest of the show was good. Agree on the setlist. Meh. There's Alawys tomorrow....
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

I love how much context guides discussion on the Hipbase. Imagine calling a setlist that includes Gus, Escape, Greasy Jungle, Flamenco, and Fire in the Hole "the worst of the tour" a year ago. Not that I disagree with you.
mintgreenbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mintgreenbird »

Fire in the hole was sweet today btw
mintgreenbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mintgreenbird »

As was poets... I'm saying in view reAly made this show... And I can't believe I typed that...
nnyvt
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by nnyvt »

i think it was the look ahead not modern spirit in the encore. El Dorado - great. Poets & Fire in the Hole were nasty good. Could there have been others played, sure. But overall solid show. I would agree with the comment on In View and I usually do not like that song at all.
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

MalcolmKellyRaps wrote:-there was no security. We had good seats on the isle maybe 10 rows back. 5 songs in the aisle was full of people just standing looking for a better view. It made my view worse. Good for them. Bad for me.
I'm with you on this point. This actually ruined the whole show for me. I had row C on the left side, but it turned into row F essentially because there were so many people in front of me. I didn't enjoy this, but what can you do - I'm the first to admit I've been spoiled a lot.

Compared to last night, tonight's energy among the boys was 10x greater. So that was a plus for me. I've said it before, but I love Buffalonians' (or, I don't know, what do you guys call yourselves? Western New Yorker's?) energy. You know Hundredth Meridian is going to be insane!

Tonight my favs were Flamenco ("maybe I'll go to New York" was my tagline for this Hip Trip!), Eldorado, Nautical Disaster (I love it on its own - and not with NewO), and Greasy Jungle got me tonight.

Another night with the Hip. Can't complain about that!
Last edited by thompson girl on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
MalcolmKellyRaps
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by MalcolmKellyRaps »

It is about context for me though.

I went into tonight believing three things about this tour.

1. They are not playing greatest hits shows.
2. Gord is singing not screaming.
3. Gord doesn't play much guitar

Well,
1. It was definitely a greatest hits show. ABAC and Gift Shop, NOIS and Blow, 100th and Courage. I could go on.
2. Gord screamed all night long.
3. Every time he picked up his guitar they played a hit.

I read my posts back and I know they are incredibly snobbish. I just can't help it. That's where I am at this point in my Hip concert lifespan. If I read that set list before it wouldn't have got me off the couch let alone a two hour drive to Syracuse.

I'm glad I got to hear We Want to Be It tonight. I'm sure this is my only show this tour and I know next tour it will be gone like my favorite songs from the last two albums.

Now the Struggle Has a Name
Last Night I Dreamed

Actually, I probably only heard my favorite song for album x twice tonight.

We Want to Be It
Nautical Disaster.
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

MalcolmKellyRaps wrote: Worst show of the tour. Decent energy and okay performance. Set list just sucked ass. I blew it. Picked between Roch and SYr. Passed up the best show for the worst. I give up.

In the car driving home. A few thoughts. Ill take the flames.

-Everthing I heard about previous shows on this tour that had me excited about tonight did not materialize. It was a greatest hits show.
Let me get this straight. They played Gus, Escape, Greasy, Flamenco, Eldorado, Fire in the Hole, and Nautical. Not to mention 6 songs from the new album...and you're complaining?? Wow.
canuckeh
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by canuckeh »

direwolf74 wrote:
Let me get this straight. They played Gus, Escape, Greasy, Flamenco, Eldorado, Fire in the Hole, and Nautical. Not to mention 6 songs from the new album...and you're complaining?? Wow.

he's comparing it to rochester so i guess you have to decide what constitutes a 'rarer' setlist:

Gus, Escape, Greasy, Flamenco, Eldorado and Fire In the Hole

vs

So Hard Done By, Don't Wake Daddy, Yawning or Snarling, Three Pistols, On The Verge and Daredevil

personally, give me either :D
MalcolmKellyRaps
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by MalcolmKellyRaps »

I think Rochester had the best set list of the tour and Syracuse was the worst.

The new songs will always be there. They don't make a set list better or worse. You walk in knowing you get to hear 6-8.

Elderado is terrible. Probably the second worst song on FC. Is Escape really rare? I love escape, that and ND were my favorite songs of the night.

I didn't research it, but I'm convinced no other show had more overplayed hits.

3Pistols, LTR, OTV- I would have traded the entire show minus We Want to Be it to for those 3. 4 songs would have been short but I would have been happier than I am now. 3 Pistols is my favorite song. Has been since I was 8. I've been to 40-50 hip shows and have seen it twice. I just can't help being pissed knowing I could have been at a show they played it but picked this GHits montage instead.

Like I said. I knew there would be flames. I know there is another side to the way I think. Actually, my girl is driving me home thilled with the show. Her favorite album is Yer Favoutites and her favorite song is In View. She was thrilled to death
Corpse
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Corpse »

In missing the Rochester show cuz I was working made me really looking forward to tonight. Sound and energy was good. Set list - well yeah it seems I'm at the shows with the same songs all the time. What are you gonna do. I love the band and love seeing them live.
nmf
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by nmf »

I went to Rochester last week and then did Syracuse tonight. I understand people being disappointed by tonight's setlist but if you got to go to both shows, it was kind of awesome to get the variation in songs (37 different songs, I think?). I really wanted Nautical Disaster and Flamenco from the songs that have been played recently and got them both tonight so I'm happy with it.

The sound and vocals were lacking a bit tonight compared to Rochester.

The crowd was a lot of fun for the hits but there was constant coming and going where I was (and SO MUCH POT).
downie_24
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by downie_24 »

Wow! I was in the first row of the pit area and thought the show was amazing. Sure a few greatest hits but with 6 new songs and 6-7 rarities there was more than enough for everyone. People were jumping so much in front that the place was shaking!! I'll post pictures later!
bobnfran
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by bobnfran »

I felt a kind of relief when I read the other posts. I too was annoyed about the lack of security controlling the madness down front. As much as I tried to ignore it, it made me extremely tense. A lot of very drunk, I deserve to be in your space types. I was also disappointed by the setlist. If this was my only hip show I would have loved it. Having seen 4 shows I heard a LOT of repeats. Those first few shows they really mixed it up more. Personally, I would like to see a more diverse setlist from show to show.

One highlight was the couple in the pit who got engaged during ABAC with Gord watching the whole thing and commenting on it when the song was over.